Number of Problems in Brand New Toyota Etios

Thread Starter #1
Etios in short is an incomplete vehicle like a baby born prematurely. It is having a modearte engine with decent dynamics but cost cutting in other areas specially related to comfort has resulted in a half cooked product.

As for being categorized as an economical product: I feel that as compared to other Toyota it is economical . But compared with its peers it is not a economy product and by no stretch of imagination can be described as VFM product.

Once euphoria over Toyota badge goes, then Toyota will have to pull up its socks and improve Etios in many areas.

In an attempt to reduce price the gaskets are also removed In Etios which makes the dust and dirt trapped in between the door and body and also make room for lizards, insects, cockroaches etc to get inside the door and body and they can easily enter inside as soon as the door is opened. These gaskets would have not costed more than INR 4000 for all 4 doors.

The reduction in the quality of dampers and insulating material has made possible all the oscillations from the engine to get inside the passenger cabin and create nuisance for the driver.

Human vibration is defined as the effect of mechanical vibration on the human body and it has long been recognised that the effects of direct vibration on the human body can be serious. It can can lead to blurred vision, loss of balance, loss of concentration, etc. In some cases, certain frequencies can permanently damage internal body organs. However, during our normal daily lives we are exposed to vibration of one kind or another, for example, in buses, cars and trains. Human vibration can be pleasant or unpleasant and we try to avoid exposing ourselves to unpleasant vibration such as travelling on bumpy roads. There are two main types of human vibration – whole-body vibration and hand-arm vibration. A person driving a vehicle is subjected to whole-body vibration which can disturb the central nervous system. Symptoms of this disturbance usually appear during, or shortly after, exposure in the form of fatigue, insomnia, headache and shakiness. Many people have experienced these nervous symptoms after they have,for example, completed a long car journey. However, the symptoms usually disappear after a period of rest.

In India there are two very tough competitors Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai and we have definitely owned and driven their vehicle at one point of time in our family . Maruti and Hyundai also sell vehicles from starting INR 2L to 25L and we have always experienced that for them each car is pride and they give full service and attention to each category customer. Maruti and Suzuk has tried to provide maximum features to each vehicle and maintained quality in all their newly launched vehicles.There is no disparity among different vehicles and customers. Each customer is given due respect.

Strangely but true Toyota people try to escape the flaws in Etios by merely giving the excuse that it is priced less and that is why the problems are there. This is really insulting for the customer who has spent all his hard earned money for the Toyota brand.

Please understand that I have however spent 7.5 Lakh on procuring this vehicle and this is no way lower price that I have paid for buying Etios. I am a middle class person and I can not afford to sell this vehicle and look for another vehicle.If Toyota is facing any quality issues with the Etios they should admit it as they have done it gracefully in other parts of the world.

There is one more fact that all other Toyota vehicles were developed in Japan and have been launched worldwide in many countries and have undergone five or more than 5 modifications and in Toyota term it is called as generation which is mentioned in case of Corlla History on Toyota bharat website. Each generation is of approximately 5 years starting from 1966 -2011.

I own Toyota Etios and have driven it only 1900km in more than 90 days. My average driving is 2500 km per month. Why I do not drive Toyota Etios? – The reason is that there is no comfort. I still prefer to drive my 11 years old WagonR. My new Toyota Etios Sedan vibrates as if a tractor engine is fitted inside it. Remember it is a Petrol Engine.

We always prefer petrol over diesel fuel run vehicles because we do not mind spending more money on fuel and we do not like Engine Noise and Vibration.But in Toyota Etios Sedan you pay more for Petrol fuel and face the Engine Noise and Vibrations.

The vehicle lacks proper insulation and dampers used in the engine compartment which can reduce the engine noise inside the passenger cabin. The Etios design fails in this field as lot of noise is heard from engine and the tyres and road, inside the passenger cabin which causes irritation. After driving for few kilometers the vibrations get more intense and are felt through steering, dashboard, side arm rest and seats as they vibrate and make the journey tiring and boring for driver and passengers as well. This Vibration effect increase as the AC is switched “OFF”. You can live with it in Summers but what will happen in Winters?.

The other drawbacks include the absence of Weather gaskets in all the four doors. The absence of the gaskets make it convenient for dust, insects, lizards, cockroaches to get inside the Toyota Etios Sedan. Moreover the inside gaskets stick to the door in a manner that if you open the door after the gap of even 2 days, the door becomes very hard to open as the rubber gasket stick on the open-able door surface.and also the Quality of the paint is very poor, which just gets away as soon as it come in contact with any surface. The average is also close to half as claimed by Toyota.

I am surprised that after researching for 5 years in India and designing a vehicle as per the Indian standard conditions the Toyota Etios Sedan fails to impress in terms of the price being paid

Toyota Etios Sedan does not deserve to be even categorised a “SEDAN” as it does not provide basic comfort. It is by the virtue of the design that it is called “SEDAN”

Toyota Etios Sedan occupies more space on Road, but not in owner’s heart.

Also visit Etios: all about Etios experience to understand the pain of the customer.

Re: The New Toyota Etios "V" Initial Ownership Review

Hello Munish welcome to TAI. I feel sorry for your situation about the Etios. But you seem to be a good automotive enthusiast and knowledgeable then why buy the Etios when it has so many flaws you have mentioned? I believe you must have definitely taken a TD before booking the car.

Re: Funny Automotive Pics

Looks like this Etios owner is completely pissed off with his car. But does he really mean what he has written, i mean after mentioning so many problems(especially engine noise), i dont think he will get a great offer which he could have expected if he had not written those things.

Looks like this Etios owner is completely pissed off with his car. But does he really mean what he has written, i mean after mentioning so many problems(especially engine noise), i dont think he will get a great offer which he could have expected if he had not written those things.
Yes, he should be definitely pissed off. Not sure about the resale value though Akash. Thats the thing mentioned in the bottom of the add.
I did not think about anything else apart the fun/ sarcasm intended in the add.

Looks like the owner is really pissed with his car , never seen an ad like this before!

Thread Starter #8

Toyota Etios common Problems faced by myself -owner of Toyota Etios model-V.

I would once again like to mention my problems as follows-

1) Engine Vibration at Idle/ Neutral position. When the vehicle ignition is switched “ON” the vehicle shakes heavily and produces noise.

Secondly when the vehicle is “START” and the gear is Neutral/ idling condition – vehicle produces lot of vibration.This vibration is irritating and distracts attention for every moment spent in the Etios.The vibrations are so intense that the vibrations are felt in the driver and passenger seats, steering, side arm rest, roof top, tail ( boot space) of my etios.

2) Road Noise inside the cabin. When the vehicle is moving on the road, great amount of sound from the tyre reaches the inside cabin of the car, which is very irritating while driving.This noise is heard even with window glass closed and AC switched ON.

3) Engine Noise inside the cabin. The vehicle produces a lot of noise while accelerating. It sounds as if lot of lot of load has been put on the engine even with light load in the car (with 2 passengers inside the cabin). This noise is very distracting while driving.

4 ) Absence of Weather gaskets on all four Doors. The absence of gasket makes it convenient for insects, cockroaches, ants, spiders and lizards to get inside the vehicle as soon as the door is opened. The interior area of the cabin trapped between the frame and door is always dirty even though the vehicle is cleaned from outside.

5) Jerks while driving. Less weight of the car makes it bouncy on road.The suspension is poor and the impact of the holes on road comes directly to the passsngers inside the car cabin. The ride is rough. The comfort part is missing from the vehicle.

6) Battery. The battery drains out completely in less than a weeks time of non usage of the vehicle. It has happened with me three times.

7) Paint. The pain quality is poor as it chips out and cracks out.

8.) Air conditioner. The Air Conditioner, when it is switched off produces bad smell inside the cabin.

9) Brakes. The brakes are ineffective and takes time to fully act on pedal press.

10) Transmission – Reverse Gear. On application of reverse gear the gears make jarring noise. This is very annoying. The transmission is very poorly designed which takes lot of effort to shift gears. One feels like fighting with every gear change.

11) Horn sounds more inside than outside. This is because of poor acoustic insulation in Etios that the sound of horn is heard more inside the passenger cabin than outside.

12) Pick up. The pickup is very low at any gear and even the new vehicle seems to be tired and exhausted.

13) Mileage. The actual mileage of ETIOS in city conditions is not more than 10 kilometer per litre in city conditions. The company claims it to be more than 17.5 kilometers per litre.

14) Interior. The interior plastic quality is very raw and gives a very cheap feeling. The interior plastic shade is also very irritating. The seats are also of very poor quality. The interior plastic has started making absurd noise because of excessive vibrations in the vehicle.

15) Stepney – Non Alloy wheel. The stepney- spare wheel supplied along with toyota etios model v is non alloy wheel where as all the other tyres are alloy wheels.

16) Remote unit for remote locking. There is only one remote control unit supplied along with the vehicle.

etios-0.JPG

etios-1.JPG

etios-2.JPG

etios-3.jpg

etios-4.jpg

Thread Starter #9

Toyota Etios – Pehli Baar – First Time

Etios as we all know is a result of the research for 5 years to understand all socio – economical levels of Indian families and their requirement. It is an attempt to produce a vehicle for the Indian public and is launched in India only first and later to be launched in other parts of the world.

An attempt to show the pain of Etios ownership “Pehli baar” .

*I trusted Toyota unconditionally first time…pehli baar.

*I booked the vehicle before seeing the etios first time…pehli baar

*After buying etios, I had to contact the voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in for the first time…pehli baar.

*I contacted Toyota Japan at ap-overseas@mail.toyota.co.jp for the first time…pehli baar.

* I contacted Toyota US at toyota_cares@toyota.com for the first time…pehli baar.

*After buying etios, I faced problems with excessive vibrations inside the cabin for the first time…pehli baar.

*After buying etios, I had to face the excessive noise from etios engine and road noise inside the passenger cabin for the first time…pehli baar.

*After buying etios I realized it has only one remote for central locking system pehlli baar…first time

*After buying etios I realized that stepney is not Alloy wheel first time…pehli baar.

*I realized that Etios does not have the weather gaskets installed on all 4 doors first time…pehli baar.

*After using etios I realized it has only one tail light for reverse for the first time…pehli baar

*After using etios I realized it generates foul smell after AC is switched off for the first time…pehli baar.

*My problem was acknowledged by Toyota engineers for the first time….pehli baar.

*My problem was ignored by the engineers and I was shocked for the first time…pehli baar

*After buying vehicle whole heartedly, I am not driving the new etios, this is happening for the first time…pehli baar

*I am paying the installments and not driving etios for the first time…pehli baar

*I own a vehicle and I am afraid to sit in it for the first time…pehli baar

*I have heard petrol engine making making noise like diesel engine for the first time…pehli baar.

*I have seen excessive vibrations in a passenger car first time…pehli baar

* I have seen missing weather gaskets in etios for the first time…pehli baar.

* I have seen that single wiper leaves some portion uncleaned on right side of the front windscreen for the first time…pehli baar.

* I have seen the fuel average coming to half as claimed by company for the first time…pehli baar.

* I bought my etios with great passion for the first time…pehli baar.

*I am disappointed with the vehicle and customer support for the first time…pehli baar.

*My confidence on Toyota has shaken…pehli baar.

*I have become a poet and writer for the first time…pehli baar.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Toyota Etios Liva Hatchback Starting Price Rs.3.99 Lakhs

Munish, welcome aboard first of all! That is one long list of issues you have pointed out. I have seen Etios in flesh at the time of TD, and I did notice high NVH, cheap plastics, gear engage noise. But I never imagined that it will give you so many problems coming from a brand known for its quality. Battery draining out in a week, non effective AC, I might be sounding off, but is it just your car or is it happening with others too? Any which having these troubles does not leave a good impression.

How long have you had this vehicle?

Hello Munish, its real sad that you are going through this ordeal.
Let us see what or fellow members having Etios has to say.

What was the reply to you from customer care, hope you have not got a lemon with all the flaws.[anger]

Thread Starter #12
Re: Toyota Etios Liva Hatchback Starting Price Rs.3.99 Lakhs

Munish, welcome aboard first of all! That is one long list of issues you have pointed out. I have seen Etios in flesh at the time of TD, and I did notice high NVH, cheap plastics, gear engage noise. But I never imagined that it will give you so many problems coming from a brand known for its quality. Battery draining out in a week, non effective AC, I might be sounding off, but is it just your car or is it happening with others too? Any which having these troubles does not leave a good impression.

How long have you had this vehicle?
Thetraveller, Thanks for the welcome. I had purchased my ETIOS on 24.02.2011 and it is almost six months and I hate to drive the vehicle.
The vehicle is so bad in terms of the material being used, it gives a very cheap feeling. Moreover when I reported my problems to Toyota and the dealer, the dealer confirmed that there are problems of higher NVH in my vehicle and made videos using water table to report it to Toyota. The weather gaskets are missing from all 4 doors.

But later the Toyota VOC and the dealer ruled out my problem saying this is common to all the ETIOS and it can not be termed as an quality issue.
It actually took me a lot of time to convince myself that "Can Toyota make a mistake? or is it that I am not able to adjust with the new ETIOS. But soon I started meeting people with the same complaints on the internet. I tried to write reviews on some big websites and in turn I received derogatory and insulting remarks accusing me of being cheap and person from some company etc etc. So I decided to upload my own website to highlight my issues. In the meantime I am regularly approaching Toyota voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in and I even personally visited the Toyota regional office in Ambience Mall, Gurgaon. But the personnel there are hard bent on convincing customers that Toyota is correct and customers are wrong.

I also know about a customer who faced similar problems and whose ETIOS was taken by the dealer workshop guys in first week of July and after 7 weeks he is still not satisfied with the performance and the the vehicle has been lying at the dealer workshop in Delhi. I was myself a sincere fan of Toyota but now I have serious doubts about Toyota India quality. Toyota is doing well with the models which are made as per International standards with no compromise in Quality like Qualis, Innova, Camry, Corolla are very good. In India Toyota tried to experiment with "made for India" concept car called -entry level sedan, but it has actually played with the sentiments of the buyers. I hope I am able to answer your queries.But the pain of owning ETIOS continues. I want my money to be refunded from Toyota.

Thread Starter #13

Hello Munish, its real sad that you are going through this ordeal.
Let us see what or fellow members having Etios has to say.

What was the reply to you from customer care, hope you have not got a lemon with all the flaws.
mukeshus
Thanks for contacting.I avoid writing at websites because there are some professionals who are biased and they make personal insulting remarks on the person writing reviews. To avoid this and still continue to highlight my issues I have uploaded my personal website to share my viewpoints and now some other customers are also contributing. Yes, I have complained about my issues at: How did I lodge my Toyota etios complaint? | www.myetios.com

You can also find a FAQ, which the dealers are using to suppress the customer objections. We all trust Toyota and we easily get convinced with the dealer. I also experienced the same. Dealer was able to give me reasoning for every problem, but when I faced them daily, I could not agree to them and highlighted to Toyota VOC. But Toyota VOC response is same as the dealer. No solution only sympathy because now I have made the payment and they have sold the vehicle. I want my money refunded , and do not agree to be penalised because of poor quality of ETIOS.

Last edited:
munish sorry to hear that your etios is not meeting your expectations.haven't you taken aTD before going in for etios. i too had thought of buying it. but the cheap plastics & flimsy body made me change my mind after the TD. the sales executive had told me that its a toyota that we are giving you at this price when i had pointed the defects. why don't you sell it off at the earliest as now there is a big demand for the car before the prices in second hand market starts to fall.

By reading your problems, I understand Etios is Toyota's version of Logan. But surprisingly, Renault has done a better job.

Didn't you notice these NVH troubles during TD?

Top Bottom