"Jerks" While Shifting Gears in Ford Figo

Thread Starter #1
Hi All

I am owning Figo TDCi and clocked 8000 ODO so far.

I have been experiencing "Jerks" While Shifting Gears, especially, with 2nd & 3rd gears. I also have read thru such issues raised by fellow Figoians in their Facebook page.

Little worried whether its an issue with my driving style or something to do with the Gear / Clutch. Either of it is worrying for me. [confused]

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: "Jerk" While Shifting Gears

Is this your first car?
Has the jerk problem increased in last few days or was it there since start?
How do you drive with your clutch, left foot resting on it?
It could be a clutch issue or could be because of your driving style. Get it checked in servicing to get the first question answered.

Thread Starter #4

1. Yes. But I have been driving other cars (diesel) since about 5 years.

2. It was existing since begining and increased in the last few days.

3. No. Once the gear is engaged, I slowly take off my foot from the clutch. I have tried taking it off as slow as possible. [frustration]But still its existing. Morever, I am feeling some harshness while shifting gears as well.

Does it anything to do with rain water getting in somewhere and creating a problem ? Or could be related to you being extra cautions while changing the gear ? As you are experiencing it during 2nd and 3rd gear so could be an extra efforts from your end back firing it (possible). Does the clutch holds on while coming back to normal position after engaging it ? Do you press clutch completely while changing the gear or half ?

Still as recommended by no harm getting her checked by service centre.

Thread Starter #6

I dont think rain water can be a reason. May be I am wrong.

Yes. 2nd & 3rd always and 4th sometimes and 5th very rarely.

As you said, I feel, the clutch isnt really free to get back to the position.

I have an appointment tomorrow with the service station. Will keep you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

If that is the case, I think there is something wrong with the clutch itself as it is holding back due to some reason.

Good that you have taken an appointment. I am sure it will addressed and rectified soon [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #8

Hi Shailinder / Dodge_V1per: I visited the Ford dealership last saturday and the service advisor is not agreeing to this problem. [frustration] Though, I have asked them to check this and they have taken my car today. Kept the fingers crossed.

Moreover, I am seeing more people reporting the same issue in Figo's Facebook page. [gun]

well..buddy if they dont solve it today then show it to another workshop n if they also say same them mail to ford officials and give links to other peoples complaints also!!

Hi Shailinder / Dodge_V1per: I visited the Ford dealership last saturday and the service advisor is not agreeing to this problem... [frustration] Though, I have asked them to check this and they have taken my car today... Kept the fingers crossed.

Moreover, I am seeing more people reporting the same issue in Figo's Facebook page. [gun]
Oh that really bad to note. What is the status now ? Have they resolved the issue or what is it like ? [confused]

well..buddy if they dont solve it today then show it to another workshop n if they also say same them mail to ford officials and give links to other peoples complaints also!!
Yes you are right he should write to Ford officials and take it up with them but before that he should show the car to at least 2 dealers.

Thread Starter #11

Oh that really bad to note. What is the status now ? Have they resolved the issue or what is it like ? [confused]
Not really. Gear Hardness seems better now. But nothing about clutch. They advised me to release the clutch as slow as possible to match the wheel speed. Trying with that. [confused]

Yes you are right he should write to Ford officials and take it up with them but before that he should show the car to at least 2 dealers.
Will see for couple of days and will write to Ford.

Thread Starter #12

Getting back to the earlier topic.

The Gear Shift Hardness and Jerks stills exists (even after 2nd Service - 10K ODO). Tried my best of slow"est" action (left leg) and match the perfect timings (RPM & Wheel Speed) with the accelerator. But no luck.

Nothing much from ASS. They are still advising me to try better, but not sure how better[confused]. I have been driving cars (specially diesel cars) for the past 7-8 Yrs.

I have written to Ford Customer Care as well.

Any other suggestions? Or Any other Figo/Other Car users facing this issue?

Thread Starter #14
Thought of reigniting this thread as the issue was never solved.

When I checked with the Metro Ford Service Manager, he claims that "all" Ford cars has this issue, so nothing particular to worry about. Ford cars are made this way... [surprise] What would you say then?

I personally have driven my friend's Figo which doesn't have this issue at all. Any more suggestion guys?

Moreover, if it's an issue with Clutch, would that affect the FE in anyway? My thread about low FE for reference (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/12681-figo-tdci-low-fe-need-suggestions.html).

Thought of reigniting this thread as the issue was never solved.

When I checked with the Metro Ford Service Manager, he claims that "all" Ford cars has this issue, so nothing particular to worry about. Ford cars are made this way... [surprise] What would you say then?

I personally have driven my friend's Figo which doesn't have this issue at all. Any more suggestion guys?

Moreover, if it's an issue with Clutch, would that affect the FE in anyway? My thread about low FE for reference (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/12681-figo-tdci-low-fe-need-suggestions.html).
Hi Figoian, Yes, it will affect the FE of the car. Need to tell a true story here. My wife had a Chevy Spark and she used to complain that there was a very minor rubbing sound every morning when she started the car. The problem started about 8 months into ownership. Just in the morning, but once into the street , with all external noise etc. was hardly audible and we could not replicate it at the service center. We thought it might be the clutch, but since there was no other symptoms that I was aware of and acceleration etc. were OK, we were not that concerned. However each time we complained at the service centre, they used to check/change the brake calipers etc. (never the clutch as they were sure it was not the cause), lubricate this and that but nothing actually got rid of the noise. Since the noise was hardly audible and we had the 3 year cash less offer, I was also not bothered in a way. However we did notice lesser FE.

Then in about another 8 months or so, suddenly the clutch gave away. It was my wife's first car (she had learnt driving in the family's Omni and had used it for a year or so - so definitely not a new driver) but I guess her driving style had something to do with it.

Anyway armed with Cash less ownership offer, we had the clutch changed and surprise surprise.. the morning rubbing sound vanished completely.

So in summary:
1) The clutch can be at fault and the service center people will neglect it unless and until it totally gives away. Also deterioration can take years.
2) Check if its under warranty. I have heard people getting the clutch changed in their Figo under warranty and hence might be another reason why SA is more interested to say that the clutch is OK.
3) Bad clutch will affect FE, at least it did in my case.

Long write up, so hopefully it is of help to someone.

Top Bottom