Can Low Running Harm Diesel Engines?

Thread Starter #1
[frustration]am all set to buy a figo diesel, my monthly running is moderately less[confused]
some friend of mine toldme that if i dont runmy car asmch as 1000km a month, its detrimental!!! is it true? my monthly running is only 500km..
guys please suggest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Is less running harmful for diesel hatches??

Nothing like that.

But it is meaningless to invest on a diesel heart for your less running.

The fact that diesel car is not suitable for less running because the efficiency of the engine (most important - Mileage) increases only when the engine reaches a optimum temperature. This fact is common for petrol engines also, but affects a diesel heart more since the combustion is purely based on compression and the heat generated by compression.

For 500km/month running I recommend a Petrol car.
Advantages:
-Less initial investment
-Lesser maintenance
-Silent engine (of course modern engines are silent compared to petrol engines but petrol is much calm & vibrates less)
-Higher variant / trim with more bells & whistles on same investment

nothing like that but ya we normally don't recommend people to buy car for such low running

350Z

Core Team

Why would you consider a Diesel if you are sure that the running is less? Spending on purchasing a Diesel or paying fuel bills for Petrol almost boils down to the same ground. That's why, Diesel is usually recommended for those with higher running. Please give a thought to Petrol depending upon your monthly run. Good luck!

Drive Safe,
350Z

No modern day diesel engines does not require daily running. Your running is really low , you should consider only a petrol.

Your friend has given you good advice but in the wrong sense. In your case its detrimental to your pocket not the car. Investment for diesel cars are a good 1Lakh over the petrol and also regular maintenance is around 1-1.5k costlier than the petrol cars(just a rough estimate though). Just sit down and do a rough calculation as when you will be able to reach the break even point. The money which you save by going in for a petrol car and also its cheaper maintenance can be used to fill up Petrol.

With 500 Kms per month running you would be covering some 6000 kms per annum and generally (I really mean - GENERALLY) people upgrade cars between 3-5 years. I am sure you would not even consume the entire amount saved by buying a Petrol car.

General calculation:

Annual running 6000kms
Petrol Charges Rs. 70/- per litre
Assuming average 14 km/p.litre
Total amount paid : Rs.30000/-
3 Years: Rs. 90000/-

Note: Above is rough calculation..

All the best

First of all welcome to the group!

As said earlier, the reason for choosing a diesel or a petrol engine depends on your monthly or yearly run. In case you are planning to keep the car for more than 5 years, I dont think it makes much of a difference, as over such a period, hike in petrol will obviously be more than diesel.

The only point is you will be able to savor the diesel machinery more when you use it for a longer runs. If the runs are purely academic like going to office and return, pick up a petrol, eyes closed.

Thread Starter #8

[clap][clap]thanks a tonne to all u guys for the prompt replies!this was my first post ever on this forum and i hope to have a long and fruitful association!!
i stand educated and kind of convinced to again sway towards my original choice of i20 petrol!
just that the new diesels do entice you with their manners, efficiency and VFM!so people like me with low running also are tempted at times!

No harm identified yet for diesel cars due to less running.
Instead plan some more pleasure trips on regular basis and enjoy the diesel torque with economy.[:D]

Effects on diesel engine if running is low?

Hi,

I am planning to purchase a car and hence I have joined this forum. I am very glad to have an opportunity to discuss and get comments from experts here.
My question here is, my daily running is not too much its around 15-20 kms for a day and @ 400 Kms a month. I want to purcase a Tata Safari as its my dream car.
But as many people say, for a diesel car running should be 700+ km in a month, hence I am worried and wondering, exactly what would happen if my running is less, engine will get seriously affected? or maintainance charges would be more than usual? etc etc.

I would request experts to comment on this. or join this to any other appropriate thread.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Effects on diesel engine if running is low?

Also one more associated question, if my diesel car is idle for a week and still if I am able to cover 400/500 kms a month, will that cause any harm to diesel engine?

Re: Effects on diesel engine if running is low?

There are no rules for mileage done. the 700km theory stands for smaller car against petrol vs diesel, due to price concern.
If you can start the diesel car everyday and move a bit ,then that is more than enough for it to stay with you for long time.

Hi,

I am planning to purchase a car and hence I have joined this forum. I am very glad to have an opportunity to discuss and get comments from experts here.
My question here is, my daily running is not too much its around 15-20 kms for a day and @ 400 Kms a month. I want to purcase a Tata Safari as its my dream car.
But as many people say, for a diesel car running should be 700+ km in a month, hence I am worried and wondering, exactly what would happen if my running is less, engine will get seriously affected? or maintainance charges would be more than usual? etc etc.
Nothing will happen to the engine.
Maintenance charges for a Safari will be less if you run less. Further your car will be intact even after several years because of less usage.

The assumption that Diesel car should run 700+ (or 1000+) is based on calculations like saving on fuel cost and the extra amount to be paid for a diesel car and its mainly valid for small cars/hatch backs or entry level sedans.

Also one more associated question, if my diesel car is idle for a week and still if I am able to cover 400/500 kms a month, will that cause any harm to diesel engine?
No harm at all. Modern diesel engines don't require daily starting. Even if it is idle for 15 days, you can just turn on and drive on the 16th day.

Thanks 350Z for merging the threads. :)

I think now-a-days most of the people are going for diesel because of ever increasing prices of petrol and also they are not sure as-in "today my running is less but what if it increases tomorrow?" in that case running a petrol car would be really tough.

Top Bottom