Steering Wheel Modification For Physically Challanged

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am Vasanth K Sandli, I am a Physically challenged person. I am suffering form Muscular dystrophy, it is a disorder that involve muscle weakness and loss of muscle tissue. Due to this I have difficulty to take up the public transportation I thought of owning a car. When I contacted the Learning school they informed that I could not drive a four wheeler with out a proper modification as i do not have strength in both the hands I had difficulty while taking the turns while driving. I could not put sufficient preasure/force on steering to turn the stearing wheel. Though I took time and tried to learn with out modification but failed on all the three attempts.

I contacted few manufacturers but even they could not help me in this as they cannot put manpower for one single vehicle. I also contacted few local garages but they do not have technology or the expertise to do that kind of modification.

I was wondering if there is any one who could do such modification according to requirements.

Waiting for response from any one...

Re: Regarding Car Modification.

Sad to know about your disorder..what kinda mods you looking for?? did you try any car with power steering?? maybe you can also use aftermarket steering handles??

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

It is possible to reduce the steer load with SBW (Steer By Wire) technology.
But again it depends on the car you choose. Not to forget the cost involved.

BTW, welcome to TAI.

Why not get a driver? This way you can have your own car and not worry about driving or spending money on mods to the steering (which can be very dangerous if not done properly).

350Z

Core Team

Hello Vasanth, welcome aboard to The Automotive India. We hope that you have a pleasant stay with us. :smile:

Why not get a driver? This way you can have your own car and not worry about driving or spending money on mods to the steering (which can be very dangerous if not done properly).
Absolutely agree with what Zal has suggested above. I believe, the affordable, easiest (and also the safest) bet to tour in your personal car is to hire a full time driver. You'll be comfortable and tension free at the end of the day.

Drive Safe,
350Z

hi sandli , welcome to forum

Zal, Your's is one best suggestion , but he wants to drive the car and experience that thrill.

We have done modification for brake/clutch and accelerator.

you want to have some assist in steering right. have to find a way out. very soon will find one!

Thread Starter #7
@Dodge : Yes I had tried driving car with power steering, I have no problem on the straight roads, but concern is while taking turns n about aftermarket steering i dont know what it is but will surf that out.

@Boss : Thanks let me see what and how it works.

@Zal & 350Z : Thanks for your concern i really appriciate that. Hiring the Driver is the last option that i have and i do not want to be dependent on others. and as Ilango said i want to expireance that thrill. I do understand the the risk factor too but when i see around the automobile industry is improving and changing a lot in efficiency, speed, quality, turbo engines etc. When so much is happening in there then why this fact is left out that its not only normal people but people like us are most in need of personal transportation. There are some authorized people who does modification suitable for people who can not use there legs. In a same manner there should be some thing which can be done for the people who does have problem with there arms. There should be definitely some solution for this just we have to think towards that direction.

I understand what you mean buddy. Another thing I can think of is to try out a car with very light steering. My friend she had a 1999 Camry and the steering was so light it felt I had my hands in the air just moving around. I know older Toyota's had very light steering the new ones have more feeling to them now.

One thing I can suggest is (if you already haven't) log onto AutoCar India and click on the Advice section. They have a great team who should also be able to help you out.

Welcome to TAI,

Can you use joysticks.

Lot of machines in India use joysticks technology to drive around but since most of them are machines, speeds are limited to 50KMPH. If the same can be modded to cars, may be we have a solution.

Welcome aboard sandli.

Whatever modification you or someone else may come up with. You need to get a driving licence first. I suggest you meet the R.T.O in your area and talk with him about your disability and see if he approves of your driving a motor vehicle and wont reject an application for a licence.

Do not go by the words of some driving school as majority of them are nothing but brokers for corruption and are not in a position to define law. If they get you a licence through corruption and you somehow involve in an accident later on. The consequences will be unpredictable and you too can be held guilty and convicted.

I know how badly you might want to experience the joy and thrill of driving, But know your limitations and from what you have said about yourself and what I understand, And like Zal and 350Z has already said, Get a good driver. Thats the safest choice by all means.

There was a guy from kolkata who had modded his zen to have complete control on his car using a gaming joystick similar to ones used i playstations. Everything from the acc, brake, clutch, steering and even gears were actuated with it. Try googling it. I'll try to dig up what i can. This was way back in 2005/6

Last edited:
There was a guy from kolkata who had modded his zen to have complete control on his car using a gaming joystick similar to ones used i playstations. Everything from the acc, brake, clutch, steering and even gears were actuated with it. Try googling it. I'll try to dig up what i can. This was way back in 2005/6
Racerdabba, First thing is whether sandli can get a licence through proper channel. If not there is no point in getting a car modified. There are norms as to what extent the level of disability can be tolerated, for a person to be eligible to apply for a driving licence.

We have a lawyer in our BAR who is a handicap and was born without a left arm. He went and saw the R.T.A with an application to get a Driving licence and it was rejected, it does not matter what amount of modification he can manage to get for a car.

So unless the authorities approve whats the point? And I also believe that his condition is one which can worsen with time.
Some countries do allow people diagnosed with Muscular dystrophy to get a Driving Licence. They have provisions in law there for that. Such cars are modified with a Digi-Drive System instead of a steering wheel. Its just like you said a joy stick. But I dont think they will approve that over here as our laws and system is old.

sandli, Please dont think I am being mean or cold here. I am just trying to shed some light on the facts. And what I said is for your best. You can take it or just ignore it all together. Its upto you.

Last edited:

Top Bottom