The Risks Involved in Driving Non-ABS Car?

Thread Starter #1
What is the risks of not having abs?How to be safe and secure if u dont have abs?how to manualy control the brakes in the same way abs controls?

Re: The Risks of Driving Non-ABS Car?

What is the risks of not having abs?
1)Skidding in slippery surfaces when applying brakes
2) Loosing steer ability on the above said condition

How to be safe and secure if u dont have abs?
Avoid over speeding in slippery surfaces
how to manualy control the brakes in the same way abs controls?
Same as manually stopping the vehicles as the brakes do (i.e., manually stopping without brakes)
Don't kick me, to be honest it is difficult or mere impossible
Hi, Please find the comments in bold.

How old is ABS buddy. People have been driving without ABS lifelong. ABS is very good if you are driving in rains as vehicles tend to skid on water while applying hard brakes.
If you have controlled driving and can maintain speeds below 40 KMPL, you may not require ABS.
You cannot do manual control of braking to attain ABS standard.

The main risk of not having ABS is locking of wheels under sudden braking which may lead lo skidding. If you drive a vehicle without ABS you will have to be careful while speeding and driving in slippery conditions.

if i am not wrong 90-95 (maybe more) percent vehicles in india do not have abs .

only way to be safe without abs is drive slow and safe.

abs is useful not only on slippery surface but it helps braking ability of vehicle considerably with much better control. most of the conventional brakes have alignment issues where all four wheels do not get similar brake forces where chances of side drag due to single wheels lock etc happens . presence of ABS automatically eliminates such incidental issues as it constantly scan and corrects brake forces to all wheels individually .

if i am not wrong 90-95 (maybe more) percent vehicles in india do not have abs .

only way to be safe without abs is drive slow and safe.

abs is useful not only on slippery surface but it helps braking ability of vehicle considerably with much better control. most of the conventional brakes have alignment issues where all four wheels do not get similar brake forces where chances of side drag due to single wheels lock etc happens . presence of ABS automatically eliminates such incidental issues as it constantly scan and corrects brake forces to all wheels individually .
Fair comment. ABS + EBD is tech which calculates how much break needs to be applied and when, although the driver might has put all his force on the break pedal.

But I am with earlier comments, more than 95 percent of cars in India dont have ABS. Most important rule of driving is ANTICIPATE.
Any good driver will tell you that ABS or no ABS, they can control their car properly when they know where to drive hard and where to drive in limits.

And it goes without saying that Breaks should always be checked regularly for any failures or wearouts.

The advantage of havig ABS is that it prevents wheel locking in case of extreme braking. When extreme braking is done, the wheels lock which in turn leads to loss of control over the steering wheel. Hence while driving a car without ABS, do not push the brakes too hard in one go Do the braking in steps even though it is strong. This practice ensures that the wheels do not lock.

The advantage of havig ABS is that it prevents wheel locking in case of extreme braking. When extreme braking is done, the wheels lock which in turn leads to loss of control over the steering wheel. Hence while driving a car without ABS, do not push the brakes too hard in one go Do the braking in steps even though it is strong. This practice ensures that the wheels do not lock.
It is easily said than done. In a panic situation people tend to brake hard which is when ABS comes for rescue.

+1 to above statement. Once due to some morons jumping a signal i had to brake hard to avoid hitting them , my wheels locked and skidded.[frustration]

So without ABS is always a risk.

On dry roads I feel cars with ABS tend to take more distance / time to stop. Would probably have taken less to distance if wheel had locked and remained in line.

It is just a feeling, I have never measured the distances to check, but in wet roads definitely feel more in command with ABS.

When a wheel is locked and the tyre skids the coefficient of friction between the tyre and the road surface reduces drastically which eventually results in more braking distance. Here the problem is not only braking distance but also the maneuverability of the vehicle, when a tyre skids it tends to take the vehicle in straight line even though the steering is turned to avoid collision. i will definitely vote for ABS.

@Dhaya, same thing happened with me too when a truck cut me suddenly to turn when I was just overtaking him. I braked hard and turn the steering hard to right to avoid him but the wheels locked and the car was going straight onto him ! then with some reflex I removed my leg from brake, the car turned right and the collision was avoided. It was sheer luck we survived that day.

@Dhaya, same thing happened with me too when a truck cut me suddenly to turn when I was just overtaking him. I braked hard and turn the steering hard to right to avoid him but the wheels locked and the car was going straight onto him ! then with some reflex I removed my leg from brake, the car turned right and the collision was avoided. It was sheer luck we survived that day.
Phew! that was a lucky escape. your brain did work under intense pressure.[:)]
ABS is just to take care of that or such scenarios, it basically unlocks the breaks and performs the breaking at regular intervals thus avoiding the tyres/breaks to get locked and steering getting out of control.

It should not be more than 30-35k. However, I don't think it would be a wise decision to go for ABS after wards.

Top Bottom