Maruti 800 Overheating Problem

Thread Starter #1
Hi
i have a 15 yr old maruti 800 which is overheating a lot. What could be the problem should i get the radiator changed ? If yes shpuld i got MGP and if yes whats the cost ?

what other pipes etc can i chnage alongwith the radiator [surprise]

Re: Maruti 800 heating up a lot

Hi Vaibhav,

Welcome to The Automotive India.

Engine overheating may occur due to various reasons. The major ones being a malfunctioning radiator, or leaky cooling system. Get your radiator inspected, along with possible leakages in hoses, cylinder head and block. Without a proper inspection it is very difficult to point out the exact problem.
Also, wait for our tech guru Ilango, he will definitely point out the most probable cause of your problem.

Last edited:
Re: Maruti 800 heating up a lot

There may be various reason for a engine to overheat. First tell us how did you make out the engine is overheating, is it by seeing the gauge ?. To start with the gauge itself may be incorrect ! . The coolant mixture may be incorrect. As Akash said there may be leakage or mal functioning radiator or radiator fan, thermostat, anything in the cooling system can be faulty. Finally, if your cooling system is getting pressurized and the hoses are leaking even after repairing them , then there is a possibility that the cylinder head gasket is leaking ! This may make the hot gases to come in contact with the coolant and make it boil . ( the most probable cause for Head gasket leak may be due to dry running of the engine for some time without coolant, so better check the history of the car and decide )
But before you decide upon the bigger issues, try solving all the smaller problems so that you can be sure to get rid of issue.

Re: Overheating Problem in Maruti 800

Fully agree with all the members. Just follow these simple steps (My personal experience with Esteem) some of them are already given by other members I am just compiling them into a list.

Basic Checks
1. Monitor the coolant level.
2. Look beneath the car, do you see coolant/water dripping?
3. When the car is cold(touchable temp) touch every hose with your hand which goes in and out of the radiator module and/or from the coolant reservoir and see for water/coolant tracing.

Radiator Fan Malfunction
Pop up the hood and let the car come to an operating temp (when starting cold). Keep revving slowly to quickly bring her up to the temp if you don't see the fan running after long, you will have your answer

Water pump gone!
1 .Ask the mechanic to take out the water pump assy and inspect it. If it rotates freely using your finger then "All Ijj Well" else you will see rusted particles along with water coming out of the pump (happened with a friends ford ikon)

If none of the above are faulty then- Head Gasket coming near to its end!

1.Primary thing is to take her to an A.S.S and get the head gasket replaced i think for a M800 it would cost below 1k. My esteem's was done for Rs980 for a blown head gasketwith labour. Fors A.S.S take around 1700 for the same job.

350Z

Core Team

Almost everything has been covered well in the above posts. Please shed more light on the specific details so that we can assist you better. About the radiator costs – it falls approx. in the price bracket of Rs.1,500 but remember, this is the cost of radiator alone.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #7

guys, good news. got the radiator cleaned @ 400bucks. The mechanic said it was choked as 1st time in 15 yrs radiator was opened. Now the Car is not overheating not even reaching in halfway mark [clap]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Vaibhav welcome to TAI , glad to hear that your issue has been resolved now.

350Z

Core Team

guys, good news. got the radiator cleaned @ 400bucks. The mechanic said it was choked as 1st time in 15 yrs radiator was opened. Now the Car is not overheating not even reaching in halfway mark [clap]
Thanks for coming back and updating us, Vaibhav. We're glad to know that the problem has been solved.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Great to know the problem got resolved.

@350Z can you add this resolution to the common heating problems and make it a sticky? I am sure most members who have oldies will get stuck in this situation sooner or later.

hi vaibhav i also have a old maruti and faced the same problem but according to above posts it was not able to rectify why because the leak was not at the lower part of the rediator but at the upper part so there was no leaked water underneath but when engine used to run water used to leak in form of vapour got it rectifird now after driving 10 kms in mountain terrains of doon still the gauge shows little bit of hot. that to when i am not using any coolent please do try to check this by regularly checking your water level in the radiator along with checking for spills as this can not be detected easily, may this would help

Thread Starter #12

HI
which collant is best for maruti 800 and is 1 l + water ok ?

zengetz

Suspended

Vaibhav,

Glad that the problem got rectified.
Let me add one of my experience on my Zen when the heating would shoot up all of a sudden quite recently.

My coolant was full and radiator did not show any signs of leakages.

The culprit after checking was that the coolant cap also has a small tube attached that dips into the bottle (Not sure if 800 has the same but,) loosened and fell off into the container. This resulted in the coolant not reaching the radiator.

After re-fixing it, the Zen was thirsty enough to take in almost a bucket of water and coolant to top up.

Just my 2 cents - to check this out going forward too.

Happy Motoring !

Mostly overheating problems are caused due to bad coolant system in your car,the problem could be because of your radiator.Since your car is too old ,may be your radiator hose has collapsed.The best way to keep engine cool is to keep the constant circulation of coolant.

Hi all,

From 2 days I am facing the same issue, the fan is running, but after I drive 15 - 20 kms and switch off the engine I am able to hear the boiling sound , When I checked the sound is from the coolant tank the water/coolant was boiling the box cap has changed its shape, but the gauge shows only half the way.. pls help, my car is 8 years old and clocked 74500 kms, I got the coolant replaced recently..

Top Bottom