Power Steering System Removal

Thread Starter #1
Mine is indica ev2 and i want to know if power steering system could be removed or not ? I dont need it because i was use to drive old jeeps and even loaded trucks ( without power steering system) and i am totally comfortable if not having power steering. And also it will add some percentage hp to engine.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Complete Removal will not be possible.
Try removing the belt from Power steering pump. BTW still keep the required oil in system.

You may have to try jugaad with a smaller belt that keeps Alternator running but does not touch PS pulley.

Thread Starter #3
Complete Removal will not be possible.
Try removing the belt from Power steering pump. BTW still keep the required oil in system.

You may have to try jugaad with a smaller belt that keeps Alternator running but does not touch PS pulley.
Ok but what if we keep pump in its place just to support the existing belt and remove all those things inside the pump so that ps pulley rotates freely and also remove the hydraulics jacks that connects steering system and all.

Mine is indica ev2 and i want to know if power steering system could be removed or not ? I dont need it because i was use to drive old jeeps and even loaded trucks ( without power steering system) and i am totally comfortable if not having power steering. And also it will add some percentage hp to engine.
I wouldn't suggest this drastic surgery, why do you want to break something which is not broken?

Buy yourself a jeep or tempo, to build your biceps.

Mine is indica ev2 and i want to know if power steering system could be removed or not ? I dont need it because i was use to drive old jeeps and even loaded trucks ( without power steering system) and i am totally comfortable if not having power steering.
WOW, this is the 1st time i have come across a post like this[surprise], generally people like to add more comfort than they already have, you want to remove the comfort you have.
I would advice you to get comfortable with the PS of your Indica,because in future even your Jeep or Truck may come with EPS.

And also it will add some percentage hp to engine.
Is it technically true that HP is gained by removing PS?

I wouldn't suggest this drastic surgery, why do you want to break something which is not broken?

I second this. If required trade it with Indica DLE non PS model.
Why you want to break which is good. PS is very useful to park in tight spots using lesser time and fuel.

Thread Starter #7

No need to buy jeep or tempo. i use to drive these and even fully loaded trucks without ps some years ago. And still i am having 28 yrs old premier padmini having smaller diameter steering than indica which i handle easily with single hand. In my opinion ps is must for heavy cargo vehicles but its useless for 5 seater car. I agree that ps doesnt makes feel fatigue but as i said i am use to drive without ps i dont need it. By the way those who drive trucks, car is toy for them.

WOW, this is the 1st time i have come across a post like this[surprise], generally people like to add more comfort than they already have, you want to remove the comfort you have.
I would advice you to get comfortable with the PS of your Indica,because in future even your Jeep or Truck may come with EPS.

Yes i think some hp will get added because rotating of ps pump needs some power which it takes from engine. As every one knows vehicles engines are not only for pulling the vehicle but they also rotates ac compressor pulley, water pump pulley, alternator pulley which causes some hp loss. And now this ps pump takes some more hp.so i felt to remove it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to buy jeep or tempo. i use to drive these and even fully loaded trucks without ps some years ago. And still i am having 28 yrs old premier padmini having smaller diameter steering than indica which i handle easily with single hand. In my opinion ps is must for heavy cargo vehicles but its useless for 5 seater car. I agree that ps doesnt makes feel fatigue but as i said i am use to drive without ps i dont need it. By the way those who drive trucks, car is toy for them.
Good to know that you still own the iconic Premier Padmini,
Mr Vijay,Please go ahead with your ideas of changing the PS, but take a opinion from Tata Motors service Centre and a reputed genuine Garage before the removal.They are the best in helping you solve your problem.
All the best
keep us updated.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Ok but what if we keep pump in its place just to support the existing belt and remove all those things inside the pump so that ps pulley rotates freely and also remove the hydraulics jacks that connects steering system and all.
That will not be recommended. The oil will get into places where it should not. leaks could ensue. Not to mention, you are essentially destroying the pump by removing innards.

Second that.
If you like macho vehicles, Exhange old Indica for an old Safari. The steering is heavy enough to give you biceps along with PS too.

Yeah its a strange request.
BTW there will be some HP saved. Not much I feel. maybe 1 or 2 HP. Its not going to make the old Indica a rocket.

By the way those who drive trucks, car is toy for them.
Well.
Have you driven newer Hyundais? If Indica feels like a toy, these will feel like toy cartoons!
May I ask the motivation for this mod?

Mine is indica ev2 and i want to know if power steering system could be removed or not ?
Very much possible but I suggest exchange the steering gear and pump with a non-PS variant. Mostly PS & non-PS steering gear will have different gear ratios (non-PS being the higher ratio) In such cases operating a PS system under non-PS mode will be heavier than a regular non-PS system.

take a opinion from Tata Motors service Centre and a reputed genuine Garage before the removal.They are the best in helping you solve your problem.
IMO TASS won't entertain this job without replacing the entire system with all new non-PS system. Doesn't worth.

Thread Starter #11
That will not be recommended. The oil will get into places where it should not. leaks could ensue. Not to mention, you are essentially destroying the pump by removing innards.

Second that.
If you like macho vehicles, Exhange old Indica for an old Safari. The steering is heavy enough to give you biceps along with PS too.

Yeah its a strange request.
BTW there will be some HP saved. Not much I feel. maybe 1 or 2 HP. Its not going to make the old Indica a rocket.

Well.
Have you driven newer Hyundais? If Indica feels like a toy, these will feel like toy cartoons!
May I ask the motivation for this mod?
I am not destroying pump innards because its already useless now. Service centre guy says that its having oil leakage issue and the pump has to be replaced and thats why i am asking experts here about ps removal.and yes ofcourse indica is not going to become a rocket but it will increase power to some extent. For e.g, we feel difference with ac on and off. With ac on in second gear engine starts struggling to pull the vehicle at 5kmph but with ac off it pulls easily at that speed.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Instead of spending your efforts & money on mods, look for some Military disposal Jeeps. Also, why not consider older gen Maruti(s) like 800 etc. This request by you is indeed one of it's kind mate[:)] Good Luck!

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #14
Hello everybody. Today i brought my car from service centre and feel sad because i didnt get what i wanted. service centre people refused to do this job and i had to replace ps pump with new one. But some day or other i
Will do it myself because my restless mechanical mind wont allow me to sit like that only.

bhvm

Honoured Member
yes. as discussed, ASC will not Do it because it does not fit company policy.

BTW we are interested in what mods you have planned and also post an ownership thread of the car. good luck.

Top Bottom