Yamaha Fazer Engine Stops in Rain Frequently

Thread Starter #1
Hello, since last one year i am facing this issue wherein my bike engine does not respond to selfstart/kickstart when exposed to rain. But after trying hard it does start but again haults after moving some 100-200m. The other problem which might be linked is that the bike doesn't accelerate as expected in 3rd or 4th gear, as if its pulling something heavy, seemingly without power.
After replacing almost all the spares i.e. sparkplug, acc cable, air filter etc at a yamaha service centre, the issue still persists.
The irony is, it haults only in rain. Once the bike is parked in shade for an hour or so, the issue gets resolved.
Mechanic says everything's fine within the bike but the actual root cause is still at large.
After reading some of the earlier threads on this frustrating issue i would like to eliminate below causes
1. Loose clutch plate : Since i can sense the engine itself is not revving, so the clutch plate obviously cannot be the cause, as it is dependant on engine to rotate.
2. Starter Motor / sparkplug : Since it functions absolutely fine in dry weather.
3. Weak Battery : Since all other elctricals like lights, horn etc are good enough.

After reading other blogs, I feel the issue has to do something with rain water mixing with fuel or blocking fuel mixture from flowing into engine. I may be wrong and would like to hear from experts or someone who faced this issue and ways to overcome it. Please let me know what should be done.

- Water seeping into fuel tank.
- Water entering via air filter.
- Water blocking silencer ports
- Water entering spar plug. [check seals, port]
- Spark plug cap or wiring issue.
- Ignition coil issue.

Check rubber on high voltage side on ignition system. Better if you remove spark plug and check it's arc in dark room.

Last edited:
Nothing is wrong with your machine.. just apply some grease over the terminals of the coil and protect it with some water repellent cover (may be customized rubber) and you're all good.

Ha ha, your bike stops frequently only during Rain you are so lucky.

My Yamaha SZ RR V 2.0 will stop every time,
• Apply break - engine stops
• Press clutch - engine stops
• Slow your vehicle - engine stops
• Look at it - engine stops
• Sit on it - engine stops

I have escalated to Yamaha India, they will do all kind of drama and say the issue is resolved, and within a week or 2 problem returns. Taken to service center more than 20 times within a year apart from service.

I lost my interest on that bike and ready sell, planning to relocate to Hyderabad in near future, so don’t want to waste my time running behind service center.

I was in an assumption that Yamaha will provide quality bikes, but I understood they just fool us. Even the build quality, fit and finish are worst.

Added to this I get a Millage of 32 KMPL.[cry]

Last edited:
My Yamaha SZ RR V 2.0 will stop every time,
Sorry to hear your ordeal with bike. There are many reasons why this type of issue crops up and hard to narrow down.

Whats your ODO ?
When was the last service done ?
Since when did you observe this ?
What's your idling RPM ?
Did you ever do carb cleaning ?
Any parts changed as per your knowledge ?

- 5200 + KMS
When was the last service done ?
- June 30th
Since when did you observe this ?
- Post first service
What's your idling RPM ?
- 2500 to 3500
Did you ever do carb cleaning ?
– yes, 6 times in 1 year
Any parts changed as per your knowledge ?
– twice clutch cable, accelerator cable, twice choke cable, thrice speedometer cable, air filter were changed. As they were not functioning or they say reason for the issue.

Top Bottom