Maruti Swift Potential Fuel Pump Problem

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post so a big hello to everyone here :-)

I have a 2007 Maruti Swift VXI. The car has been parked in the past 15 days and not used. When I had parked the car I had about half tank of fuel. However, when I checked yesterday the fuel indicator was below empty (bottom most point). The car has not been used. It has not moved from where it was. The petrol cap and cover are both closed. I cannot see any petrol patches or smell arouind the car.

Also the car won't start. It tries to crank up... but does not start.

Today I had someone put 5 litres of petrol in the car but the fuel gauge still did not move and the car still does not start. I did a bit of research on Google and I think it might be a fuel pump issue.

I am in a place that's quite far away from my home city. I know a few people here and can possibly get a trusted mechanic to take a look at the car, but wanted to ask if there are any tests I can do myself before I call a mechanic.

Thanks!

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I have a 2007 Maruti Swift VXI. The car has been parked in the past 15 days and not used. When I had parked the car I had about half tank of fuel. However, when I checked yesterday the fuel indicator was below empty (bottom most point). The car has not been used. It has not moved from where it was. The petrol cap and cover are both closed. I cannot see any petrol patches or smell arouind the car.
Is your car parked in open area with direct access to sunlight? or is it in covered parking? Just in case if your car is parked in open area, the petrol might have evaporated thus leading to low fuel levels. Petrol does get evaporated quite fast if vehicle is parked in open area with direct sunlight because of the heat that gets created. Secondly, as you are thinking that the fuel pump might be at fault, then as per my own experience with my Esteem VXI, did your car while driving create any untoward sound from engine like miss-fire or something? or ever you felt any type of fall in acceleration? I faced these two in my Esteem in 2016-17 time and later at my uncle's ASC, the cause was seen as damaged fuel pump. In my case as the car was getting old so instead of investing in all that, got some temporary fix and sold the car an year ago.

I am in a place that's quite far away from my home city. I know a few people here and can possibly get a trusted mechanic to take a look at the car, but wanted to ask if there are any tests I can do myself before I call a mechanic.
It would be wise to take your car to a authorized Maruti workshop and get it checked properly.

Regards

Akash

Easy test:
Put the key into the slot & turn it to leave at the ignition point - do not crank.
All mpfi engines have the eletic fuel pump that kicks in as soon as key position switches to ignition. You will hear a small hissing sound - if you dont then possible wiring or fuel pump issue.

Top Bottom