Hyundai Elantra CRDI ERG Issue

Thread Starter #1
Hi, all,

My 2006 Elantra CRDI is having some issues and any suggestions will be much appreciated.

For the past two years, when I take the car to highway and hit above 120 for a while, the engine check light pops up, RPM restricted to 2700, no matter what I do, it won't go above that, performance is also sluggish then. So I stop the vehicle for 5-10 mins, start the car, everything back to normal. Engine light goes off after some time.

So now, if I go for long drives, I keep the speed under 120, which is a good speed for Indian condition, but if I want to go above that speed, check light comes on and RPM restricted, if I keep it under 120, it will run all day long without any issues.

So I take the car to Hyundai, they said, EGR issue, so they cleaned it, same issue occurred, cleaned again, issue still persist. So now they want me to change the EGR valve, which of course they don't have stock available, it will take 15 days and 7500rs + Labor. I ordered the part.

Then my trusted mechanic in Bangalore told me you can block the ERG for the time being. He also said, some cars it's perfectly okay and for some it can cause issues. I chose not to do all that since I ordered the part.

Also vehicle has done 3.6 lakh kilometers without any major issues (TOUCH WOOD). I think there is only so much a vehicle can do.

Question is, is it okay to block the ERG? Will the new ERG fix the problem I am facing?

Re: Elantra CRDI ERG issue

... For the past two years, when I take the car to highway and hit above 120 for a while, the engine check light pops up, RPM restricted to 2700, no matter what I do, it won't go above that, performance is also sluggish then. So I stop the vehicle for 5-10 mins, start the car, everything back to normal. Engine light goes off after some time.
...if I keep it under 120, it will run all day long without any issues.
Question is, is it okay to block the ERG? Will the new ERG fix the problem I am facing?

As my knowledge is -100 in these, I asked Uncle Google and got these.
Symptoms: Source : link-1
An EGR valve can fail in two ways: It can be open all the time, or it can be closed all the time.
If the EGR Valve remains Open:
This will cause a continuous flow of exhaust gases into the intake manifold. You'll notice one or more of the following symptoms:

• A rough idle upon starting the engine (that is, when the engine is cold) and sometimes at a stop light or while looking for a spot in a parking lot (that is, at low engine speeds in a warmed-up engine).
  • Stalling when the engine idles.
  • Increase in fuel consumption.
  • A slight — or strong — fuel odor while operating the vehicle, because of the increase in hydrocarbons leaving the tailpipe (see the next symptom).
  • Emissions test failure. When the engine is running at low RPM, lower temperatures in the combustion chambers prevent all the fuel from burning, so the flow of unburned hydrocarbon gases coming out of the tailpipe increases significantly.
  • The Check Engine light (or Malfunction Indicator Light, MIL, depending on your model) illuminates on your dashboard.

If the EGR Valve Sticks Closed:

This will permanently block the flow of exhaust gases into the intake manifold. You'll notice one or more of the following symptoms:

• A pinging or tapping noise coming from the engine at low RPM (at speeds higher than idle). The noise is the sound of early ignition of the fuel when it meets high temperatures.
  • Loud detonations. A second ignition can happen after the normal ignition, and the two can combine with enough power to potentially cause serious engine damage.
  • Your car fails the emission test. High temperatures in the combustion chamber allow the excessive formation of oxides of nitrogen, which are released through the tailpipe.
  • The Check Engine light, or Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), illuminates on your dashboard.
Is the EGR valve needed? Source : link-2
The answer is no, if you don’t mind breaking the law. Federal emission laws state you are not allowed to tamper with the emission control system on a vehicle, which the EGR is a part of. And since EPA regulations require it, you cannot remove it. If caught, you could face a penalty. However, the EGR provides no benefit to the diesel engine and can be “removed” with no ill affects. In fact, many have reported that their diesel engine runs better with it removed. On the dodge Ram forums, quite a few people reported improved gas mileage with a 1 to 2 mpg increase in fuel efficiency once the EGR system has been disabled or removed. Some also report a little better response in acceleration. Almost all said their oil was in much better condition when they changed it.
It was educative for me too. Specially these two below :

1. On the dodge Ram forums, quite a few people reported improved gas mileage with a 1 to 2 mpg increase in fuel efficiency once the EGR system has been disabled or removed.
  2. Some also report a little better response in acceleration.
And I've been thinking diametrically opposite ALL THESE YEARS [lol]

As you have already ordered, better get it changed. However, if your mechanic can, you may remove it, till the new one arrives. Your decision.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Vijay,

Even I was searching in Google and 90% say, it's good to have ERG removed/blocked, but my mechanic says, it works for vehicles like Indica and some others. Modern cars comes with lot of sensors and stuff could throw up Check Light and if your vehicle have any other issue, you won't know since the light is on anyway.

I knew about ERG blocking after ordering the part, paid a small amount as advance also. So I think I will just go ahead and replace the ERG.

Last edited:

Top Bottom