DIY: Painting Of Minor Rust Points in My Maruti 800 DX (1998)

Thread Starter #1
The purpose of posting this is to caution members not to fall prey to some shops who charge unreasonable costs for minor repair work. I was thinking about doing some painting of minor rusting points in my M- 800 car of 1998. Of course it was not that serious but stitch in time is the best solutions. What I am supposed to do at 30 plus, now Im doing at 70 plus and it is really fun and gives tremendous pleasure.

Of course no rusting at under body as I got the Anti - rusting coating done about 6 yrs ago at MASS by 3M Coating and recently in the month of May 2017 with primer and Tufkote coating at under body as well as on cabin floor as precaution.

I took my car to a painting shop and he said he would charge me Rs 1200 for these minor painting work, saying that he has to remove all the rust by spray, then apply Laambi, use smooth sand paper to clean it and apply paint by small brush. He said it will take more than a day and I have to leave the car there. I said I would think over and come back.

I went to another painting shop, he said he will take a full day and I have to leave the car there in the morning and collect my car in the evning after 6 pm. He asked for Rs 1000 for this work. I said I would think over and come back.

I did go to a shop where they sell only car paint. I asked him to give me 100 ml of white paint matching my car color as after 19 1/2 yrs though it looks bright white but still age made it look less whiter. He charged me Rs 80. Bought a small WD 40 spray costing Rs 70 and a smooth sand paper costing Rs 10 and a small 2 mm paniting brush costing Rs 8. Total cost Rs 168.

There is famous saying - APNA HAATH JAGANNATH. First I cleaned my car with 3M Shampoo yesterday morning and after drying, I did Waxpol polishing since Monsoon is already over. It took almost 4 hours for me to do this task of making my car shiny again. This morning I did spray WD - 40 at those Minor Rust spots, rubbed it with clean cloth and did apply sand paper to clean them. Now the surfaces were ready for painting. So I applied the paint carefully and it took hardly an hour and kept it for drying for 3 hrs.

I am trying to post the earlier photos posted by me in the month of May 2017 in page no 77 of Maruti 800 Technical Issues and Solutions. I don't know whether this allows me to post again these photos, if not, the same are available in page no 77 as stated. Next I will post the photos of those painted spots and my shiny car.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: DIY - Painting of Minor Rust points in my M-800 DX 1998

So it is not allowing me to post those photos of May 2017 already posted in page no 77 of Maruti 800 Technical Issues and Solutions. Those were really minor rusting spots and the painting shops wanted me to charge Rs 1000/1200, whereas I got it done myself at Rs 168. Here money is not the question but the unreasonable labour cost. So one can imagine how MASS charge innocent car owners who get panicky when they face problems in their daily commuting by cars.

Do not use WD40 instead use NC13X thinner. Apply thin coats of primer first after that apply top coat paint.

Thread Starter #4

Do not use WD40 instead use NC13X thinner. Apply thin coats of primer first after that apply top coat paint.
Thank you for your suggestion.
Is this NC13X thinner is different from we use in carpentry work? Of course after spraying W 40, I immediately cleaned the rust with cloth and then applied sand paper and cleaned again, allowed it to dry before applying paint by brush.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Is this NC13X thinner is different from we use in carpentry work? Of course after spraying W 40, I immediately cleaned the rust with cloth and then applied sand paper and cleaned again, allowed it to dry before applying paint by brush.
NC13x thinner is different from carpentry work. This is available at car paint shops. You can mix one or two drops of hardener to top coat for extra strength and weather resistance.

Top Bottom