Though I maintained my car well to the best of my ability, I happened to come across TAI
web site in the month of April 2017 and took interest to go through the Threads that too after doing Engine oil flushing etc during last week of March 2017. So thereafter words I went on taking more interest in keeping my car more and more cleaner and spent about Rs 27000 in these 6- 7 months, plus Rs 10117 today for all the 4 nos Tyres Replacement, such as :
- Engine oil Flushing by Wurth and changing the Engine oil from 20w40 to 20w50 Shell, change of Spark plugs, point condenser, oil filter, fuel filer, change of fan belt, Timing Belt, Brake Cylinder etc etc costing about Rs 6000.
- Replacement of Rear Bumper, Replacement of Head lights, steering overhaul etc costing about Rs 2500
- Replacement of Battery tray costing about Rs 500 in May 2017
- 3rd party Insurance of Rs 2536 in May 2017
- Big task of under body Anti rust coating with primer as well as Tufkote by spending about Rs 4200.One can go through the trouble I had to undergo in the Thread – Antirust under body coating with detailed report and photos for the benefit of others.
- Replacement of Bosch wiper, some plastic loops for wheel caps Rs 550 in May 2015
- Buying of extra Door mats, car perfume, Windscreen cleaner, Car Polish, car shampoo etc from Amazon in June 2017 costing about Rs 1500
- Replacement of both Rear Shock Absorbers costing about Rs 2000 in June 2017,
- Changing Coolant , Engine Bay Compartment cleaning etc costing about Rs 2000 in June 2017
- Carburettor Overhauling in July 2017 costing about Rs 1700
All the parts were from MGP only and not any local / duplicate items.
- Putting AC in to operation after 8-9 years, without going in for new kit for 134a Gas costing about Rs 7000 but got the work done by an expert by N2 flushing, vacuum check up, compressor oil top up and charging with Dupoint M - 49 gas which is better than earlier R12 gas, The Total cost was Rs 2200.
Important Issue which was pending : Replacement of all the 4 tyres.
Background : 2 Nos of stock Tyres of MRF were replaced in March 2006 by 2 Nos Bridge stone tube Type Radial Tyres, each costing Rs 1250 at 33800 kms. Remaining 2 Nos Stock MRF Tyres were replaced in November 2007 by 2 Nos Bridgestone tube type Radial Tyres, each costing Rs 1525 each at 38890 kms. The Wheel Alignment as well as Wheel Balancing was done each time.
Call it my ignorance that I never changed my 4 tyres of Bridgestone for 10/11 yrs as there was not a single puncture in these 11 yrs. The Stepney also remanded idle for 11 yrs in my Dicky. Honestly I FORGOT how to change the tyre in case of any tube punctures but sure of getting help from some youngsters, if at all, it happened. Of course at every 5000 kms, I got the Wheel Alignment as well as Wheel Balancing done. Added to that my car usage was hardly 1000 to 1200 kms in the past 4 years.
I came to know from many members that I have to change my tyres and it is the high time for my own safety. So few exchange of messages took place with members from May 2017 onwards. However I kept the replacement of tyres pending and wanted to take care of this issue after doing all the above issues. So I did post some queries last week as regards tyre replacement and never got any reply from any experts or any members, except getting friendly tips from dear Harsh from Gujarat and Silver-Dove from Mumbai this morning which I could read this afternoon only. Thank you dear Harsh and Silver – Dove for your honest tips / suggestions / feed back.
I had 4 choices – Go for Michelin 145/80/R12 Tubeless each costing each Rs 3100 . 2nd Choice was Bridgestone Turanza 145/80 R 12 Er60 Tubeless each costing Rs 3240 each. 3rd choice was Goodyear Duraco Hi Miler 145/70 R 12 each costing Rs 2700. 4th Choice was Firestone 145/70R12 FR500 each costing Rs 2300.
I gave lot of thoughts, because the scaring thought in my mind was that if at all I have to change all the 4 Rims, add another Rs 4000. On opening and after thorough checking it was found that the stock Steel Rims are in good shape, no rusting, no bend anywhere. Also the usage of my car is mainly limited to city drive and seldom Highway drive. So I took a calculated risk and decided to go for Firestone Tyres today 29th October 2017 at 55,086 kms. The manufacturing date is July 2017, 2 tyres are just 14 weeks old and 2 tyres are 15 weeks old. The Total cost is Rs 10,117. I have kept one best tube type Bridgestone Tyre as Stepney.
4 Nos Firestone FR 500 tyres = Rs 9200
Wheel Alignment = Rs 200
Wheel Balancing = Rs 160
Tyre Changing service = Rs 40
N2 Filling = Rs 200 ( This seems to be high because at petrol pump we get it free if we fill up the petrol there)
8 plastic Loops for Wheel caps Rs 40
4 nos Tyre Necks( Nipples) - Rs 200
Balancing of old Tyre - Rs 77
Grand Total = Rs 10117
Photos 1 and 2 shows the Bill, next photo shows Tyre pattern and my car. Of course got a gift item of Firestone – Headphone.