The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   The Technical Zone (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/)
-   -   Mercedes-Benz C220 CDi Check Brake Pad Wear Warning (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/32189-mercedes-benz-c220-cdi-check-brake-pad-wear-warning.html)

yahabhiyah 13th September 2017 04:52 PM

Mercedes-Benz C220 CDi Check Brake Pad Wear Warning

Hi.
I own a 2016 Mercedes C220 CDi. It has clocked 19500kms. Last week, brake pad wear warning came on.
I went to nearest Mercedes authorised service station and after inspection, they asked me to get Rear brake pad and disc changed. Bill is around about 25k for the same. My query is the brake pad and disc wear normal @19.5k mileage?

Sakthivel Rajendran 27th September 2017 12:45 AM

Re: Mercedes-Benz C220 CDi Check Brake Pad Wear Warning

Quote:

Originally Posted by yahabhiyah (Post 548224)
Hi.
I own a 2016 Mercedes C220 CDi. It has clocked 19500kms. Last week, brake pad wear warning came on.
I went to nearest Mercedes authorised service station and after inspection, they asked me to get Rear brake pad and disc changed. Bill is around about 25k for the same. My query is the brake pad and disc wear normal @19.5k mileage?

The following points are quite common with respect to some premium cars / brands :

1. Basically these brake pads have not been designed for Indian road conditions ie., having a minimum replacement life of 20000 kilometres.
2. In some cases they tend to wear out by 13000-15000 kilometres in A-Class . Replacement at 19000 kilometres seems to fine.
3. This is one area were Audi differs, replacement are done in periodic schedule & not much of pre-mature wear and tear has been reported.
4. Even some Volvo S60 owner have reported that the brake pads being replaced at 13000 kilometres.

allhyundaicars 27th September 2017 09:45 AM

It's because of the automatic as well. Most of the users don't put the car in neutral or park even at a red light so brake pads life is shortened.

There's no need to replace the disc. You can get it resurfaced from a good FNG. Please correct me if i am wrong. Don't know much about high end cars but brake discs seems like a normal wear and tear item.

vikpunpolo 5th October 2017 05:18 PM

Its pretty expensive. Merc usually has one of two supplier fr brake pads - Brembo, Italy and Textar, Germany. as per my knowledge it should be in range of INR 5000-6000.

Did you check sensor faliure which is predominantly seen in Merc?
Also you may also look at thickness of brake pads, usually these people always try to change brake pads which is normally not required in all cases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yahabhiyah (Post 548224)
Hi.