Brakes FAILING in new cars!!

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone.Today i came to know about a very dangerous aspect of my i10 next gen.I observed that since the breaks of i10 and other such modern cars are electronic,I switched off the engine at 50 in a empty road and I was shocked to see that its breaks STOPPED working after applying them 3-4 times.Its effectiveness reduced to about 20% only!! If one fine day you are on a busy highway and your engine suddenly stops at the speed of 80,U would not be able to brake and have a serious crash!!A big loss of money and may be life!!
So friends please suggest me an answer to this issue as it could kill any one one the road or in the car itself!![frustration]

Alok, what you observed is true. In todays modern cars, the brakes works only with the ignition on. Their effectiveness reduces to a great extent when the engine is switched off. The major segment of people who find this trouble some are thos who have brrn driving their loyal old gen cars. As a matter of fact i too found this really strange when i drove my indigo after years of driving my Premier Padmini(fiat).

The engine getting OFF at speeds of 80kmph is pretty impossible but if it does happen, the only way out of that situation is either to get your engine ON as soon as possible or use the handbrake for controlling the car.

PS: Also theres a practice called Engine braking which is often used in case of a brake failure. In case your brakes fails, you can avoid bigger impact by lowering the engine speeds.

i think that newer generation cars brakes are vaccum assisted in case ignition is off they fail so in such cases wont intermittent application of brakes(pumping) help along with engine braking as pointed out. pls clarify anyone

Alok thats not a good practice of switching of the engine.
While descenting on down hill.
Though you think that you are saving fuel.
You are wrong.
If you switch off the engine the pistons wear out and there may be Severe Engine Damage.
So better don't follow this practice.

And its literally impossible of vehicle switching off at 80 kmph.
If you cant shift the gear, you can atleast bring back to neutral.

Yes you mention yourselves as EPS, and how do you expect it to brake without Electronic assistance.

I was literally shocked to see the thread's name.

Earlier brakes in 800's were cable brakes, where they used to follow this practise.

Recent technology uses Brake oil.

So 99% there is less chance of brake failure in new vehicles.

350Z

Core Team
It was not a good idea to turn off your car at speed of 50 Kmph. New generation cars are equipped with vacuum assisted brakes (Power Brakes), which effectively work only if the engine is on. With engine off, you can apply the brakes but you need to push them a lot harder. On a related note, in case the car’s brake do not work at high speed, you should turn on the hazard lamps, keep honking to make others aware and try producing more friction by driving on a rugged terrain / using roadside rails and stop the car gradually using handbrake.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #6
You are wrong.
If you switch off the engine the pistons wear out and there may be Severe Engine Damage.

Yes you mention yourselves as EPS, and how do you expect it to brake without Electronic assistance.

Earlier brakes in 800's were cable brakes, where they used to follow this practise.

Brother, if your car has contaminated fuel which we call "petrol me kachra",your engine rpm behaves strangely and sometimes engine just switches of.This happened with me many time in my 800,no matter what the speed is.my friends told me that this prob is with them also and its because the petrol pump near my home has bad fuel.

You are wrong.

All cars in india since a few decades ago use Hydraulic brakes. Including our M800, which everybody assumes to be the technological crap in the car market. M800 was the car which introduced indians to Disc Brakes!!
Moreover, non car in india uses Electronic assist to brake as in "Brake by wire". All new cars use Brake Boosters, which use engine vaccum to power ur brakes. So with the engine not running, brakes become less effective. Still, they dont stop working altogether. All u have to do is press harder and pump the pedal. Acting in conjunction with the handbrake, u can easily gain back control even in case of engine failure.

can vaccum assisted brakes function effectively even if hydraulic system fails( i mean brake fluid leakage)
No, they cant, but on the better side, all cars have dual circuit brakes, meaning if a rear brake line ruptures, front still works and vice versa. But if ur main reservoir leaks, Handbrake is ur only saviour.

Last edited by a moderator:
killing the engine, while the car is running is very suicidal. If you are concerned about the fuel efficiency, then put your ride in Neutral ( Its not recommended either, but better than killing the engine ).

Thread Starter #10
My dear friends i am not talking about willingly switch it of but if it shuts down on 80-90 DUE TO SOME PROBLEM with the engne only then it wont be in your control to start it back.What should u do that time??

My dear friends i am not talking about willingly switch it of but if it shuts down on 80-90 DUE TO SOME PROBLEM with the engne only then it wont be in your control to start it back.What should u do that time??
Read this post of mine, hope it solves your query to some extent[:)].

The engine getting OFF at speeds of 80kmph is pretty impossible but if it does happen, the only way out of that situation is either to get your engine ON as soon as possible or use the handbrake for controlling the car.

PS: Also theres a practice called Engine braking which is often used in case of a brake failure. In case your brakes fails, you can avoid bigger impact by lowering the engine speeds.

Cars do not regularly switch off at 80kmph. if it has some fuel problem it will not start or improper idling. so its your risk to slot the gear and drive.
Check the car one there is slight sign of inconvince showed by them

Vaccum assisted brake are based on engine vaccum , so the engine must be running to help in braking. remember its braking assistance , so a brake will work even if the engine is off. you need to brake harder.

Once if your car behaves strange due to improper fuel , check the car. for this reason you have fuel filter in car. change them periodically . even if the fuel is adulterated , the car can go up to certain distance. And avoid the same petrol station where you face a problem.

Any car will not stop suddenly at 80kmph. it will show its signs earlier.
Proper servicing of you car alone don't help. proper checking of everything is also to be done.

Thread Starter #13
ilango[speed thirst];66550 said:
Cars do not regularly switch off at 80kmph. if it has some fuel problem it will not start or improper idling. so its your risk to slot the gear and drive.
Check the car one there is slight sign of inconvince showed by them

Vaccum assisted brake are based on engine vaccum , so the engine must be running to help in braking. remember its braking assistance , so a brake will work even if the engine is off. you need to brake harder.

Once if your car behaves strange due to improper fuel , check the car. for this reason you have fuel filter in car. change them periodically . even if the fuel is adulterated , the car can go up to certain distance. And avoid the same petrol station where you face a problem.

Any car will not stop suddenly at 80kmph. it will show its signs earlier.
Proper servicing of you car alone don't help. proper checking of everything is also to be done.
so that means its impossible??Even if ecu or any other electronic thing fails?

Even if ecu fails , read ecu do not fail that easily in any car .
the brakes work. brakes are not electronic.

only if the brake hydraulic oil(brake oil )leaks the brakes fail. that is too they do not leak that sudden , you may feel improper braking first and you can slow down and then drive or tow accordingly.

Top Bottom