Maruti Alto K10 vs Maruti Celerio Engines

Thread Starter #1
Hello everybody.What is difference between both cars engines. Alto k 10 is having 1.0L 12v k series engine and celerio having almost same 1.0L 12v kB10 engine. Now what is this B10? Is there any difference. And also heard from some body that Celerio is having engine noise issue. Is that also true? I am comfused[frustration]. As i am planning for new car and shortlisted these three. Tiago, alto k10 and celerio. due to some reasons not going for tiago so decided between alto k 10 and celerio.

Re: Alto k10 or celerio

As a Celerio owner, I think, I have the rights to answer these questions.
K10 and KB10, K9 almost all work on the same 1 ltr engine. Celerio, is an over priced version of Alto k10, with a little bit more space. Internationally it is the new Alto. The USP of this engine is the mileage. Celerio, is a nice city car. But, the opposition had matched up now. With Kwid 1.0 and Go 1.0 in the picture, there is no hurry to buy Celerio. It is also heard that there is a face lift round the corner.BTW, can you tell us, why you went away from the best in class? Tiago?

Nairrk

Honoured Member

When I wanted to buy my car in last December, I too have shortlisted Alto K10 & Celerio. I have asked same question with sales guy in Maruti dealer and his answer was that both cars comes with same engine/performance except that Celeria has got some extra features and looks little taller (85mm) and also about 4 inches wider (110mm extra width), length (55mm). Difference in Tyre size, Alto K10 - 13inch whereas Celerio 14inch (VXi & above variant)

As far as Engine is considered in my catelogue both are mentioned as K10B(998CC).

Both the Alto K10 and Celerio has the same 1 litre petrol engine.

Alto over Celerio:
- weighs less than the Celerio so better acceleration and marginally better fuel efficiency
- costs less than the celerio
- smaller in size than the Celerio and so more city friendly

Celerio over Alto:
- 14 inch wheels over 13 inch wheels of the Alto so better highway stability and handling
- more space than the Alto in all aspect, more space for the passengers
- larger boot
- power windows in all for windows on VXI and above variants
- availability of fully loaded ZXI variants and also options pack with ABS and Airbags.
- in terms of emi, Alto and Celerio is pretty close.

Other options in the market with similar features is Tata Tiago and Renault Kwid.

I would choose the Tiago over all the others followed by the Celerio.

Although they use the same engine, tuning of the each car is different and some of the internal parts are different. For example 1.2 ltr K series used in so many MSIL cars with different tuning, power ratings and with some internal parts difference.

Celerio wins over alto any day.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Between the two, Celerio is a modern Alto of sorts and probably safer too

Im generally wary of Tata cars but Tiago is the car to go for here
Much safer etc

Hello everybody.What is difference between both cars engines. Alto k 10 is having 1.0L 12v k series engine and celerio having almost same 1.0L 12v kB10 engine. Now what is this B10? Is there any difference. And also heard from some body that Celerio is having engine noise issue. Is that also true? I am comfused[frustration]. As i am planning for new car and shortlisted these three. Tiago, alto k10 and celerio. due to some reasons not going for tiago so decided between alto k 10 and celerio.
Even the Wagon R has the same engine, maybe in slightly different forms of tune for all 3 cars.

I would suggest you to work on your requirements backwards.

1. Requirement - how many people in family
2. Budget
3. City and or highway drive, % difference.
4. Features required, airbags, abs, ice etc.
5. TD all vehicles, falling in your budget, even the ones you don't want to touch.

All the best.

Regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #8
Thanks everybody for your information but still one doubt is unclear. Does Celerio engine has engine sound issues ?.I have heard it from some people.

Thanks everybody for your information but still one doubt is unclear. Does Celerio engine has engine sound issues ?.I have heard it from some people.
Between Alto and Celerio, Celerio is the clear winner. Yes it has engine noise but is not unbearable in cabin. You can TD and see if the noise is ok for you when you are inside the car. If you need an awesome NVH level, Hyundai Grand i10 will come close to your price range. That said, I hope you are not trying to buy Celerio Diesel which has engine noise of two galaxies crashing near you [lol]

Thread Starter #11
Between Alto and Celerio, Celerio is the clear winner. Yes it has engine noise but is not unbearable in cabin. You can TD and see if the noise is ok for you when you are inside the car. If you need an awesome NVH level, Hyundai Grand i10 will come close to your price range. That said, I hope you are not trying to buy Celerio Diesel which has engine noise of two galaxies crashing near you [lol]
Celerio in diesel ??..i didnt knew that...never heard.

kkn13

Suspended
Celerio does have a diesel variant which was discontinued recently and with good reason
It had a very underpowered crude and noisy 2 cylinder diesel engine called DDiS 125

Regarding celerio diesel, all car enthusiasts had predicted the fall. That was dead on arrival. An auto rickshaw engine fitted on a car. Some poor souls had bought it too. Feel pity for them. NVH is on the higher side for Celerio, as the padding inside the bonet and firewall is not so good as the Hyundai cars. Maruti had tried to cut costs by not providing these. But, kept the car as not value for money, specially VXi and Zxi . That is the reason they are still selling Altos in India ,which is discontinued elsewhere.

Top Bottom