Tyre Condition and Fuel Economy

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am new here so kindly excuse any mistakes.

I recently noticed that fuel economy of my car (Swift Dzire VDI) reduced by at least 2-3kmpl. Earlier I was getting 21Kmpl on highways which is now reduced to around 18-19Kmpl. I think this drop in mileage is because of tyre conditions since fuel economy didn't improve even after servicing car at 51000kms. Tyre are worn out after running for more than 53000 Kms so far and I will be replacing them soon. I just want to confirm with experts if worn out tyres can impact fuel economy?

As per my knowledge, newer tyres will cause less FE and wornout ones will relatively have higher FE. Tyre pressure will also have an impact of FE. There are a lot of factors which might have caused lower FE for you. Even your driving style might be a cause also.

Normally the Tyres have Warantee for 3 yrs. However the safe life of Tyres is about 5-6 yrs and worn out Tyres are risky to drive especially on highways. My stock tyres MRF lasted for about 33,500 and 38500 kms respectively in my M- 800 DX car and after that the changed tyres of Bridge stones make Radial ( in 2006/2007) have completed 10/11 yrs without much worn in thread and not a single puncture but have become harder. My usage of car is now negligible about 1000 km per annum in the city run only. I shall soon be replacing all my 4 tryes by Tubless preferably Michelin this time for my own safety and for smoother drive and better performance.

Besides worn out tyress, other factors such as Engine oil flush and change with replacing spark plugs, Point condenser, fuel and oil filers, cleaning of Air filter etc on time also play a role in the mileage of the car.

Last edited:
@maheshlokhande007,

krishna6239 rightly said that newer tyres will cause less FE and wornout ones will relatively have higher FE, Because new rubber will have higher friction than worn out tyre but that is the only advantage, whereas new tyres will provide you better control, traction and more importantly safety during your drive so if you are running your car with worn out tyres get it changed first and then figure out FE.

Happy Driving!!!

Top Bottom