Loosing Air Through Tyre Rim. How To Fix?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was on the way back from my hometown and had bad puncture [confused]. the tyres was damaged and tyre change was only option for me so I decided to change both rear tyres. It was highway area, far from any place to buy new tyre, Luckily I found one shop nearby and he had only CEAT tyres with him so I got it changed. I came back to Mumbai and next day realised that both the new tyres were flattened again.

I got it checked it with nearby tyre works station and realised that air is leaking from tyre lining and rims. (He checked it by spraying soap water).

Can anyone suggest how to fix it??

Should I do it from local tyre works or from Authorised CEAT Dealer???

Thanks in Advance..

Re: Loosing Air through tyre rim - How to fix.

Hi Guys,

I was on the way back from my hometown and had bad puncture [confused]. the tyres was damaged and tyre change was only option for me so I decided to change both rear tyres. It was highway area, far from any place to buy new tyre, Luckily I found one shop nearby and he had only CEAT tyres with him so I got it changed. I came back to Mumbai and next day realised that both the new tyres were flattened again.

I got it checked it with nearby tyre works station and realised that air is leaking from tyre lining and rims. (He checked it by spraying soap water).

Can anyone suggest how to fix it??

Should I do it from local tyre works or from Authorised CEAT Dealer???

Thanks in Advance..
The only option, with vat bill claim warranty with manufacturer.

-suryaputhra

Thread Starter #4
Assuming it is tubeless, how was the fitment done, with proper tire changer?
Yes, it is tubeless 185/70/R14 Ceat Milaze.
Fitment was done at seller place only but he doesn't had automated facility he did it manually.

The only option, with vat bill claim warranty with manufacturer.

-suryaputhra
Yes I have vat bill and it has unconditional warranty too, but before that I was thinking to fix it if possible. Coz warranty claim may take couple of days and I have only one tyre in spare.

@cganesh12

Tubeless tyres are known for sidewall air leak(Inherent design and functional limitations). Two things here

1. Rim damage(due to traditional methods of tyre changing or earlier damage) which causes leaks(alloy or steel rim)

2. Tyre manufacturing defect in sidewall which causes leaks. If this is the case only option claiming warranty.

-suryaputhra

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
@cganesh12

Tubeless tyres are known for sidewall air leak(Inherent design and functional limitations). Two things here

1. Rim damage(due to traditional methods of tyre changing or earlier damage) which causes leaks(alloy or steel rim)

2. Tyre manufacturing defect in sidewall which causes leaks. If this is the case only option claiming warranty.

-suryaputhra
Thanks Suryaputra,

1. It is 14inch Alloy wheels.
If rim is damaged is there any method to diagnose the same?
If Damaged is it possible to correct the deviation?

2.Can I check if it is due to tyre by placing the tyre on other Rim which is not leaking?

Yes, it is tubeless 185/70/R14 Ceat Milaze.
Fitment was done at seller place only but he doesn't had automated facility he did it manually
Costly mistake.

It is 14inch Alloy wheels.
If rim is damaged is there any method to diagnose the same?
If Damaged is it possible to correct the deviation?

2.Can I check if it is due to tyre by placing the tyre on other Rim which is not leaking?
1) Remove the tire, easy to diagnose if the damage is on the rim or tire (or both)
2) Possible, but use a proper tire changer.

Thread Starter #9
Costly mistake.

1) Remove the tire, easy to diagnose if the damage is on the rim or tire (or both)
2) Possible, but use a proper tire changer.
@Mr.Boss,
Yes I know, I was stuck in the middle of Highway with Family, that was more important.

But now I'll have to tackle it with all you guys support and suggestions.

@cganesh12, there are rim profile analysers, Hunter brand is best, but human errors are more in doing test and correcting it. Alloy wheels are so precisely manufactured. Just put known good tyre and observe, if air not leaking then your rims are fine. Some of manufacturing defects in tyres can not be seen by naked eye. If rims are fine, just tyres leaking then claim warranty.

-suryaputhra

Thread Starter #12
Hi Guys,

This is to update you all, That my issue was resolved yesterday,
Did it from proper automated tyre changing facility.
They workman told me that when my tyre got damaged it left some minute rubber particles at the corner of the rim and got stuck with lining, Due to ignorance (Did not properly cleaned the rim before tyre beading) of the person who changed the tyre earlier.

So my advice to all here is, it is equally important to check all these things as to select right tyre for our beloved car, unfortunately I'll have to settle down what I had the best possible choice at that time but ignorance to tyre fitting may ruin everything that has been wished and expected after getting new tyres.

Thanks again for all of your help and support in this.

Happy Driving!!!

I was typing exactly same thing and have previously recommended it twice on the same forum. Most of the cases when there is a minor leakage at the rim, it has to be nothing but some residue lying on the rim which isn't letting the tyre to properly seal the air gaps. Ehh, I saw the thread 10 days later :biggrin:

Remedy: Sand paper, cloth and a decent worker.

Same thing happened with my TVS Jupiter last week. Air was leaking from side walls. Tried 2 different puncture guys but they were not able to diagnose the problem. The Tyre used to be flat in 1 weeks time.
Finally one road side puncture guy showed me the issue that air is leaking form side walls. What he did was simple. He inflated the tyre with almost 70 PSI air and vola the issue is resolved

Top Bottom