Maruti Zen Estilo (2011) Engine Knocking Sound

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on The Automotive India, I own a 2011 Maruti Zen Estilo (K-series).Off late i started noticing an engine knocking sound coming from the engine.Upon consulting the nearby MASS for inspection I was being told that the entire engine needs to be overhauled and the estimate comes around some 65k [frustration].I am not into technicalities of the engine but as far my layman knowledge is concerned I did not feel my engine has ever shown a drop in power or some other such symptoms which would suggest an engine overhaul.One day I visited another independent MASS in the city and they told that the tappet valves needs an upsize and that the sound is peculiar to tappet knocking. I was rather convinced of their reason and gave a thumbs up for the work to be done,but true to my habit, I made it a point to stay their and witness the work done [:D]...they opened the engine head,measured the clearance and noted the requirement for the upsize tappet valve (or shims that they call it). After replacing the valves I again felt the same sound (although the sound has dampened a bit). I would like the fellow members to suggest other plausible solution to my problem

Other details about my car
Model : Zen Estilo K Series VXI
Kilometers on the odometer :65000
Year :2011
The car is regularly serviced at the MASS at every 5000 kms and never ever did the car run on low engine oil
Their is no drop in the fuel efficiency and the car returns 15-17 kmpl in cities and 20 kmpl on highways with the AC on
The car is fuelled up at a reputed petrol station where all my other vehicle too get fuelled up
The car in its entire life has never run on reserve fuel,never did the fuel meter come below half a tank mark .
No signs of engine heating up
P.S. - Before getting the valves repaired the car was taken on a long drive of some 500 kms with 5 people on board and heater on,this even included rough roads and a long traffic block of some 5 hours and the car did not behave abnormally, but the sound was still prevalent

Hi xcent,

the engine knocking sounds could be of various reasons(minor to major).

can you tell us few things

1. How and when did you notice this noise? on the go ?? or when you bumper it to a pot hole?

2. has there been any issue with the radiator?

3. coolant levels are okay?

4. temperature gauge on the cluster, have you seen it raising off late?

5. MASS did some work as you have mentioned, can you confirm if they have added the sleeves to the Piston blocks?

6. when they opened the engine head, did they mention you about hair line scratches in the Piston holes(block)?

please let us know the above mentioned things. then we can try to conclude what exactly happened.

cheers
Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #4
Hi xcent,

the engine knocking sounds could be of various reasons(minor to major).
can you tell us few things
1. How and when did you notice this noise? on the go ?? or when you bumper it to a pot hole?

2. has there been any issue with the radiator?

3. coolant levels are okay?

4. temperature gauge on the cluster, have u seen it raising off late?

5. MASS did some work as you have mentioned, can you confirm if they have added the sleeves to the Piston blocks?

6. when they opened the engine head, did they mention you about hair line scratches in the Piston holes(block)?

please let us know the above mentioned things. then we can try to conclude what exactly happened.

cheers
Josh
Sir ,
1.The noise is prominent when I rev the engine
2.Regarding the radiator level ,the car travels daily for about 25 kms in bumper to bumper traffic but no change in the coolant level (AC cooling is also up to the mark)
4. The K series estilo does not come with the temperature gauge,but I am deterrent on the fact that the engine temperature is optimum.
5. Yes MASS did some work, actually the k-series engine comes with hydraulic pistons and they changed them (upsized them). no harm to the block or the pistons they said.

Can you upload YouTube video of the sound your facing.

-suryaputhra
Sir,
I will try to upload it ASAP

Just get the timing belt checked as well as knocking generally occurs when the petrol/air burns unevenly during the ignition cycle, bad fuel can also be a problem. But then, wait for the experts here there will be a better answer.

Top Bottom