Royal Enfield Bullet Engine Excessively Heating Up

Thread Starter #1
As some of you might be knowing already, I have an RE Bullet standard 350. It's been more than a year since we bought it. I've always felt that the engine got rather hot for two-wheeler standards even though it was a large engine. About three weeks ago, I washed it with water. Started the engine and kept at idle for a little under just two minutes and switched it off. Did that just to check if there were any starting problems.
It was after switching it off when I realised that I had forgotten to oil-wipe the crash guard on the side of the exhaust pipe[embarass]. Was wiping it when my hand accidentally brushed against the exhaust pipe. Contact with the hot metal was literally for less than half a second (I pulled my hand back that quickly). Within that half second, the skin completely burned and turned to dust! It was that hot and I repeat, the engine was on only for two minutes. Picture taken 20 days later. The burn was so severe that I felt pain in my entire forearm for 8 days[cry]
WP_20170425_11_49_11_Pro.jpg
Now, I know that engines get rather hot, especially near the exhaust but this seemed like too much. Do these engines really scorch this much or do I have to adjust my air-fuel ratio? Idle speed is okay now, mixture is not too lean. Btw, engine oil levels are proper so cooling system is functioning properly.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Its normal for the exhaust to be hot especially near the crash guard. Don't interfere with anything. I have had multiple burn injuries from my tb as well.

Thread Starter #3
Its normal for the exhaust to be hot especially near the crash guard. Don't interfere with anything. I have had multiple burn injuries from my tb as well.
Really? Good to know that it's nothing abnormal. I was dreading that I had ridden with lean settings and feared that I might have cooked the engine and the spark plugs[embarass]

Thread Starter #5
Yes its fine for it to be hot. I did the mistake of wearing shorts and riding and I burnt my leg due to the exhaust.
Getting a burn while riding is an entirely different story, I know (been there, experienced that[frustration]) I was shocked after this happened because like I said, the engine was barely on for two minutes. But like @allhyundaicars said, I think it's mostly nothing to worry about, considering bullets have always been leg burners[;)]

Top Bottom