Tata Bolt: Technical Issues & Solutions

Thread Starter #1
Dear All,
I am abhishek and I have recently bought a Tata Bolt Revotron XM manufactured Feb-2016, initially I was having no problem with the car but as soon it crossed 2000KM it started showing some issues, Wanted to know if anyone has faced these issue or what other issue has been faced with the Bolt so far and their rectifications,
1. Burning Smell from the front of the car when speed crosses 130Kmph, not from the engine BAY something from the Wheel housing.
2. Petrol smell in-cabin with A/C ON.
3. With A/C ON, I sensed irregular power delivery of the car and sometimes for 3-4 seconds the Pick-Up freezes/paused no matter how hard I press the throttle and soon after that the car runs Normal.
4. After a long Parking duration (cold start of the car) when I turn-on the Blower, the A/C automatically turns ON. After that for short duration of parking and run, the A/C didn't turns ON with only blower turned ON.

These are initial issues I am facing, which are not yet rectified, need to know if these have been faced by other BOLT owners as well and in case other issue were faced then kindly share here with us all.

Regards,
Abhishek Saxena

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hello Abhishek. Welcome aboard TAI!

Firstly, I would like to know, was there a specific reason to opt for a car that was more than a year old? At the time of delivery what was it's ODO? The burning smell you are referring to might be from Clutch plate and is it a regular feature or happens occasionally? As for the petrol smell in cabin, I guess, there might be some minor leak. Is the petrol smell still there when you switch-ON the AC? At times when the AC setting is done for fresh air mode, then too, sometimes such smell comes in. For irregular power delivery as you mentioned, if its only for 3-4 seconds, then I feel it is because when the Compressor of AC begins to work then it happens and this happens in every car because with the compressor at work, the load is added on the engine too. Do get the car checked at the ASC asap.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3
Dear Akash,

Hi, well first of all thanks for the reply. I opted for an year old car as features like ABS, CBC and EBD, 8Speakers Harman Unit, Fog Lamps, all Power windows and Audio Controls on Steering wasn't available in XM trim for the cars manufactured post March 2016. So I asked for this Year model, at the time of delivery the ODO was 63Km and I case see that all protective films on internal parts was in place and seems not pasted later on. A Scratch free car internal and external.

Surely will get the Clutch checked, but I don't find and lag or power deficiency on high speeds as well.
Petrol Smell and Un-Linear Power delivery is coming only when I drive with the A/C, turned ON, normal driving is pleasant though.

Regards,
Abhishek Saxena

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear Akash,

Petrol Smell and Un-Linear Power delivery is coming only when I drive with the A/C, turned ON, normal driving is pleasant though.
Dear Abhishek, The power drop for a few seconds while driving in AC happens in most of the cars as I told. Until and Unless, the duration of power drop exceeds 4-5 seconds, I don't think there is much to be worried about. As for the petrol smell, try adjusting the AC setting to in-cabin circulation only and see if the smell still exists. In-case the smell is there then get the car checked from ASC. Since its summer time here, AC will be in use frequently so make sure it is in perfect condition. Also get all the fuel injectors and pipe checked.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Dear All,
I am abhishek and I have recently bought a Tata Bolt Revotron XM manufactured Feb-2016, initially I was having no problem with the car but as soon it crossed 2000KM it started showing some issues, Wanted to know if anyone has faced these issue or what other issue has been faced with the Bolt so far and their rectifications,
1. Burning Smell from the front of the car when speed crosses 130Kmph, not from the engine BAY something from the Wheel housing.
2. Petrol smell in-cabin with A/C ON.
3. With A/C ON, I sensed irregular power delivery of the car and sometimes for 3-4 seconds the Pick-Up freezes/paused no matter how hard I press the throttle and soon after that the car runs Normal.
4. After a long Parking duration (cold start of the car) when I turn-on the Blower, the A/C automatically turns ON. After that for short duration of parking and run, the A/C didn't turns ON with only blower turned ON.

These are initial issues I am facing, which are not yet rectified, need to know if these have been faced by other BOLT owners as well and in case other issue were faced then kindly share here with us all.

Regards,
Abhishek Saxena
Other than clutch plate issue please check if your handbrake is stuck / or pulled up you may have burning smell with a feeling of power loss.
Cars washed and put in handbrake pulled up & unused for long time get the handbrakes jammed.

Thread Starter #6
Dear Abhishek, The power drop for a few seconds while driving in AC happens in most of the cars as I told. Until and Unless, the duration of power drop exceeds 4-5 seconds, I don't think there is much to be worried about. As for the petrol smell, try adjusting the AC setting to in-cabin circulation only and see if the smell still exists. In-case the smell is there then get the car checked from ASC. Since its summer time here, AC will be in use frequently so make sure it is in perfect condition. Also get all the fuel injectors and pipe checked.

Regards

Akash
Thanks akash,
The catch is that I have observed the drop of the power when A/C switches ON but this power drop and pause in the power output is different. Well yes, as per your advice will get the A/C checked.
I run the A/C with in-cabin air circulation mode, always.

Regards,
Abhishek

Other than clutch plate issue please check if your handbrake is stuck / or pulled up you may have burning smell with a feeling of power loss.
Cars washed and put in handbrake pulled up & unused for long time get the handbrakes jammed.
Hello Ken,
Thanks for a reply, I have my car's Handbrake always Down.

Regards,
Abhishek

Last edited by a moderator:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
That can also be 1 reason. I was about to say that but I think if the handbrake is raised or stuck, won't the indication appear on the IC?

Thanks akash,
The catch is that I have observed the drop of the power when A/C switches ON but this power drop and pause in the power output is different.
I run the A/C with in-cabin air circulation mode, always.
Then in that case I guess the issue is with the fuel pipe or the pipe connector. In my Esteem I had faced this issue too but after replacing the clamp on fuel pipe, the smell went away. Later on, I also got the pipes checked once again to be double sure. Also, I suggest you to replace/clean the air-filter of your car and if it has the AC Filter too get that replaced/cleaned too.

Regards

Akash

Hi Abhishek,

Congrats for your new Bolt. [clap]

I too own Bolt XM petrol May 2015 model. Faced same problem like petrol smell initially after 2000KM run but it was vanished automatically after 5000KM run, don't know how [roll]. My Bolt has completed 12500KM run and first time on yesterday I faced sudden power loss when I was driving around 120KM per hour. As my third free service is due on next month so I will highlight this to service guys.

Other than this I have not faced any other major issues till date. The car is running butter smooth on road.

Thread Starter #9
Hi Abhishek,

Congrats for your new Bolt. [clap]

I too own Bolt XM petrol May 2015 model. Faced same problem like petrol smell initially after 2000KM run but it was vanished automatically after 5000KM run, don't know how [roll]. My Bolt has completed 12500KM run and first time on yesterday I faced sudden power loss when I was driving around 120KM per hour. As my third free service is due on next month so I will highlight this to service guys.

Other than this I have not faced any other major issues till date. The car is running butter smooth on road.
Hi Nilesh,
Thanks for a reply, I have booked a visit to ASC for Thrusday and explained them the problem. I am facing power loss on A/C only and yesterday had observed that my car's RPM is not consistent it varies and if I maintain a fix speed I find car gaining and loosing power on fixed intervals (wit A/C ON) otherwise the drive is smooth. Well they say that the issue would be rectified... Hoping for best.

Regards,
Abhishek Saxena

Thread Starter #10
Hi All,
Well, I have visited the ASC but to them it is normal, AC is tripping Off/ON in 10Seconds interval which is OK to them but Not-OK to me, How come the Evaporator Coli cools up so quickly (to 8 *c) when the cabin temperature is still sweating. The AC give cool air when functions.
My AC is fluctuation ON/OFF in every 10-12 Seconds of interval right when the car starts (cold start) Vent temperature varies 8*c (OFF) to 12*c (ON).

For Petrol Smell in cabin, Canisters and valves are changed and the problem disappeared.

To all my fellow members here, can I get suggestions on to what should I get checked for my AC problem. My car's AC switches -ON-OFF in 10-12 seconds of interval no matter if the cabin has reached the temperature or not. The cooling is just sufficient that I do not sweat but passengers at the rear do. When the Compressor is ON it gives so cool air but for 2-3 seconds after which the compressor cuts-OFF.

Regards,
Abhishek Saxena

@abhishek_1983delhi,

Check relay, resistor, thermostat and other electrical connections & stuff. Check for AC gas pressure, low pressure can cause cut-off's and also minor leaks are hard to detect.

If all of this is fine, then we have to check ECU programme [rare case].

If you temp needle/indicator going above mid/normal level ? If yes, Check radiator fan or condensor might be the cause.

If nothing mentioned above solves your issue then by my knowledge, we can assume that there is an obstruction for air flow.

PS : I Don't own a TATA Bolt.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Hi and thanks to all for very helpful replies,

Well, I wanted to know if the A/C cutoff within 10seconds interval is normal or not, 10s OFF-10s ON-10s OFF-10s ON and so on. Right the time I turn ON the A/C this continues, no matter the cabin is Hot or Cold.
As per ASC they are saying that Compressor Cut-OFF is normal but with such interval I am not convinced, I had driven a Demo Car now and nothing like this is happening in that car. Just wanted to correct myself is my understanding is Correct or may be Wrong...

Regards,
Abhishek Saxena

Hi and thanks to all for very helpful replies,

Well, I wanted to know if the A/C cutoff within 10seconds interval is normal or not, 10s OFF-10s ON-10s OFF-10s ON and so on. Right the time I turn ON the A/C this continues, no matter the cabin is Hot or Cold.
As per ASC they are saying that Compressor Cut-OFF is normal but with such interval I am not convinced, I had driven a Demo Car now and nothing like this is happening in that car. Just wanted to correct myself is my understanding is Correct or may be Wrong...

Regards,
Abhishek Saxena
Ask the TATA ASC guys to check the inside car temperature at cut off of ac and again getting on this will prove your fact.

Thread Starter #14
Hi All,
Many thanks for the replies,
OK, so this is how it went, the situation is still the same with Cooling Coil temperature reaching 8* with in 15seconds of Compressor function and there is a 8seconds of Cut-Off time (compressor to Idle mode function) thereafter, compressor regains full power when temperature reaches 12*. The cycle keeps on repeating no matter how hot or cold the vehicle is, whether it is Morning, Afternoon or Night time or the engine is a Cold started or Hot one. Problem is very specific and occurs only when the car is in motion I mean Compressor working in Full power Mode. In Idle mode the A/C is functioning as per the Programming.
1. Resistors, Relays and electrical Connections checked and found to be OK,
2. Thermistor and Pressure Switches are changed based on suspicion all on my expense, So can't doubt on the new sensors performance,
3. Vacuum Test cleared by the A/C Piping,
4. ECU program version is the latest One as per TATA,
5. Engine Temperature always stays inn the Middle,
5. With A/C ON, both the Condenser Coil Fans are working in Intervals (based on Compressor working),
6. Since the car is new, airflow obstruction is not considered, still I will use Tufkote A/C coil cleaning foam and would see if there's any improvement.
Every Parameter related to A/C functioning seems OK by TATA ASC. Still I am not convinced satisfied, comparing the car's performance with a Demo Mule, there is a Difference. Demo Car's Compressor doesn't Cut-Off so rapidly, it works at least for 3Minutes on full power before a 10-15 seconds cut-off while the car is in Motion. Idle performance is same though.
Don't know if this is a Problem or an expected behaviour of the Car, have asked ASC to consult TATA HO on this, expected response is in 2days time.
Regards,
Abhishek Saxena

Hi All,
Many thanks for the replies,
OK, so this is how it went, the situation is still the same with Cooling Coil temperature reaching 8* with in 15seconds of Compressor function and there is a 8seconds of Cut-Off time (compressor to Idle mode function) thereafter, compressor regains full power when temperature reaches 12*. The cycle keeps on repeating no matter how hot or cold the vehicle is, whether it is Morning, Afternoon or Night time or the engine is a Cold started or Hot one. Problem is very specific and occurs only when the car is in motion I mean Compressor working in Full power Mode. In Idle mode the A/C is functioning as per the Programming.
1. Resistors, Relays and electrical Connections checked and found to be OK,
2. Thermistor and Pressure Switches are changed based on suspicion all on my expense, So can't doubt on the new sensors performance,
3. Vacuum Test cleared by the A/C Piping,
4. ECU program version is the latest One as per TATA,
5. Engine Temperature always stays inn the Middle,
5. With A/C ON, both the Condenser Coil Fans are working in Intervals (based on Compressor working),
6. Since the car is new, airflow obstruction is not considered, still I will use Tufkote A/C coil cleaning foam and would see if there's any improvement.
Every Parameter related to A/C functioning seems OK by TATA ASC. Still I am not convinced satisfied, comparing the car's performance with a Demo Mule, there is a Difference. Demo Car's Compressor doesn't Cut-Off so rapidly, it works at least for 3Minutes on full power before a 10-15 seconds cut-off while the car is in Motion. Idle performance is same though.
Don't know if this is a Problem or an expected behaviour of the Car, have asked ASC to consult TATA HO on this, expected response is in 2days time.
Regards,
Abhishek Saxena
Did they do a laptop ECU Analysis any error codes shown?

Top Bottom