Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 Vibration Issues

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys ,

I bought a second hand Thunderbird 350 2013 model. It has a different silencer and handlebar. I want to do some mods on it but first i have to bring down the vibrations. So i hope someone ca identify the silencer on the bike from the picture and tell me whether that causes more vibrations. Same for the handlebar.

Also it would be helpful for thunderbird owners to share their experience in reducing the vibrations.

Attachments

If you haven't driven RE before, then this is normal. REs supposed to be shake-kings! I am assuming you have driven them before.

Can you describe the vibrations a bit more? Are they persistent even in neutral? Do they happen only after cold-starts? Do they happen only at particular gears / false-neutrals? Silencer mods alone shouldn't induce any vibrations noticeable (although thumps should be louder).

Handle bar, take the bike for a long ride, you will get used to it. It is pretty stiff in a way. I tried my friends Thunderbird with exactly the same handle bar (have driven Bullet 500 for 9K kms). It was a weird feeling. Felt totally at odds controlling the vehicle.

I've just picked up a 2005 Machismo 350. It is sort of my project bike. (Barn find you can say). And I just learnt how to ride on it. Vibrations and RE are a better love story than Twilight. I am used to it. And sort of enjoying it. :P

Thread Starter #4
Can you describe the vibrations a bit more? Are they persistent even in neutral? Do they happen only after cold-starts? Do they happen only at particular gears / false-neutrals? Silencer mods alone shouldn't induce any vibrations noticeable (although thumps should be louder).
It vibrates above 2K rpm . The ends of the handlebar vibrate too much. The center of the handlebar is more stable. I compared with my friends TB 350 with the stock handle and found that it has lesser vibrations at the same rpm. So i will mostly fall back to the stock one and see how it goes.
Upto 60kmph i dont have a problem but after that I can really feel the vibrations on my hands. Its a naggy feeling.

As for the silencer , the exhaust note is beautiful. But if it contributes to the vibrations I would definitely prefer stock. I prefer riding comfort over thump.

I know that the bike is supposed to vibrate. But I want to reduce it as much as possible. Consider an RE without the vibes ( lets be a tab bit realistic and say negligible). Im going to try out a few stuff and see if it makes a difference.

It vibrates above 2K rpm. The ends of the handlebar vibrate too much. The center of the handlebar is more stable. Upto 60kmph i dont have a problem but after that I can really feel the vibrations on my hands. Its a naggy feeling. Consider an RE without the vibes ( lets be a tab bit realistic and say negligible). Im going to try out a few stuff and see if it makes a difference.
If it helps you can visit this guy for a quick check, if by any chance you are near Mantri Mall / Natraj Theater, Sheshadripuram. He does only REs. Get his opinion. He is very opinionated though. I forgot the name of the shop. You can find him on the 2nd Main, Sheshadripuram.

https://goo.gl/maps/ntNZs4jKupk

Thread Starter #6
If it helps you can visit this guy for a quick check, if by any chance you are near Mantri Mall / Natraj Theater, Sheshadripuram. He does only REs. Get his opinion. He is very opinionated though. I forgot the name of the shop. You can find him on the 2nd Main, Sheshadripuram.

https://goo.gl/maps/ntNZs4jKupk
Thanks for that . Will visit him.

Vibrations are inherent part of REs. You have to learn to live with it. My BIL bought new classic 350 which I rode on highways. While I liked the fun, the vibrations put me off. Above 80 its unmanageable. I also rode a cafe racer 500 of a friend's friend and was completely disappointed. Not only the vibrations but in lower gears balance of the bike is very poor. Not well engineered like today's modern bikes. That guy already suffered a bad accident. Just my feedback.

Last edited:
Vibrations are inherent part of REs. You have to learn to live with it. My BIL bought new classic 350 which I rode on highways. While I liked the fun, the vibrations put me off. Above 80 its unmanageable.
Wait till he installs the RVMs. And shell shocked to see the vibrations in those RVMs even at city speeds!!

Like everyone says, yes vibrations and RE are inseparable. Actually you'll be surprised to the extent of being scared if you fit mirrors. Up to 55 they'll be fine. After that you have (emphasis on the word 'have') to cross 75 in order to see just about anything in the mirrors[frustration]. 75 to 85 or 90 range has comparatively lesser vibrations (at least that's the case for me, don't know about other bikes). Anything above that speed is plain stupidity as far as a RE bike is concerned[;)]

Sorry for being late to reply.Modified silencers create more vibrations in Thunderbird. Stock TB silencer is more heavy and it will take out lots of vibrations. The free flow silencers create more vibrations.For TB above 80 Kmph, I never used to feel Vibration. The Vibration window is 60 to 80 Kmph in top gear. Engine RPM vary from 2K to 4K

Thread Starter #12
Sorry for being late to reply.Modified silencers create more vibrations in Thunderbird. Stock TB silencer is more heavy and it will take out lots of vibrations. The free flow silencers create more vibrations.For TB above 80 Kmph, I never used to feel Vibration. The Vibration window is 60 to 80 Kmph in top gear. Engine RPM vary from 2K to 4K
Thanks for the info . It's lust like you said. After 80 kmph I don't feel vibrations on the handlebar . But at those speeds the foot rests vibrate . Is that normal? Anything to reduce that ? Also I've read in some post that changing the engine oil to Motul 5100 15w50 Semi-Synthetic can reduce vibrations . Anything on that?

Thread Starter #13
The forum is missing a dedicated "Royal Enfield: Technical Issues & Solutions" thread.

Admin?
I'm with you on that . But instead of technical issues we should be having one just for the vibrations and ways to reduce them . There are lots of DIY methods I have read about from forums ( not specific to RE ) . If people tried them out on bullets and we could see the results that would be nice . There must be a lot of people trying out things. We need a place for them to showcase that.

Top Bottom