Advantages of Electronic Power Steering vs Hydraulic Power Steering

First point , the bhp is saved.

Hydraulics eat of lot of power of the engine .
now the electronic reduces the load , the alternator load increase , which in turn pull up engine load , but not too much as like the hydraulic.

Easily repairable - no oils and other mess. EPS are great motors , very minimum or nil in maintenance and problem

It cut off above say a 40 to 50kmph - good thing

More lighter than a hydraulic one.

Thread Starter #3
Does the eps have a power steering fluid? How do we do ps maintainance? Wagonr has hps or wps?Wagon r ps is smooth man, much more than santro and i10. Can i make the i10 ps smooth like that of wagon r?

Last edited by a moderator:
The all new WagonR is equipped with Electronic power steering. Even your i10 has the EPS, so and if are finding it hard, get it inspected at A.S.S.

This is what I know about hydraulic power steering
Electronic steering will consume power from battery where hydraulic consume from engine.

Hydraulic will work all time where electronic will cut off after certain speed say 60 kmph

Advantage of EPS is the steering is lighter than HPS.
Advantage of HPS is the steering gives better feedback than EPS.

Parting quote:
Its no concidence that a fitness freak didn't invent power steering.
-Garfield

what is 'Feedback' of a ps??what is 'Responsiveness' in a car??
Feedback is a Steering system is the amount of information you recieve while driving. A good responsive steering, will let you know the resistance of the turning wheels and you will be able to feel the force to self return. For example, take a turn at high speeds using a 800 or an old MH410 Zen (Non PS). As you steer into a corner, the harder the steering becomes and resists turning. You can calculate the amount of grip in the tyres and the amount of understeer from that. But in the current crop of cars with EPS, Its missing. And I really dont want to drive my wagon r, It feels like in in a game station playing games on a Cheap Non force feedback wheel. Its weird.

Feedback is a Steering system is the amount of information you recieve while driving. A good responsive steering, will let you know the resistance of the turning wheels and you will be able to feel the force to self return. For example, take a turn at high speeds using a 800 or an old MH410 Zen (Non PS). As you steer into a corner, the harder the steering becomes and resists turning. You can calculate the amount of grip in the tyres and the amount of understeer from that. But in the current crop of cars with EPS, Its missing. And I really dont want to drive my wagon r, It feels like in in a game station playing games on a Cheap Non force feedback wheel. Its weird.
My feeling!! but getting used to it is no other option!!

Friends

I am just found that at times my Ritz steering feels bit heavy while turning from stand still, so which one is better a hydraulic one or a EPS[:)]

I would anyday prefer a Hydraulic PS over a EPS,

EPS:
+ves
Maintenance free - no oil, no pump, no belt, no belt noise, no leakages
No direct load on engine
effortless steering (not much muscle work required)
MUCH LESSER IN WEIGHT COMPARED TO HPS
Cheaper than HPS setup
Less time consuming when assembling/even servicing
-ves
Dead steering - zero feedback at the steering wheel examples are i10, alto etc
Definately not for the enthusiast type drivers

Hydraulic Power Steering
+ves
1. Good feedback at the steering wheel (also judging road grip in corners etc is easier)
2. Can be fit into a variety of vehicles - cars, jeeps, trucks, buses etc
3. A must have for enthusiasts & for drivers who live to drive

-ves (I hate to type this)
1. Maintenance is not so easy - older the unit, more prone to leakages/breakdowns
2. Proper Functioning of HPS depends on more than one part - the pump, belt, bearings, the steering rack, hoses etc
3. Time consuming to repair or replace
4. Condition of oil & pump decides the amount of force you need to put at the wheel.
5. Needs a bit more involvement at the steering wheel, than EPS.

Here is a quick list of cars that host factory fit power steering units:

1. HPS (factory fit)
Fiat Palio, Petra, Punto, Ford Ikon, Maruti Baleno, Esteem, All TATA cars, All fiat cars, most of the ford cars. LINEA has the best HPS unit this side of 12lakhs. Old santro & santro xing too had HPS.

2. EPS (factory fit)
All current generation (in production) Maruti cars have EPS only! - Alto, WagonR, Estilo, Swift, Dzire, SX4, Ertiga (irrespective of petrol/diesel/lpg - no maruti has HPS)
Hyundai EON, i10 & i20. I read somewhere that TATA is working on developing a EPS unit that will replace all HPS units in its cars.

Regarding power consumption (loss of BHP) here is a shocker - Daewoo Matiz too had HPS unit (yes it was just a 800cc engine still it had HPS.

Eps is more of a cost cutting measure. It is an alternative that companies chose to save time while making cars & servicing them later.

The easiest way to identify of a car has HPS or EPS is as below.

Open the bonnet engine & peep into the engine bay - if you find a yellow cap with a steering wheel symbol on it. It is a HPS unit that's in use.

If you dont find a Power steering oil filling cap, then just look behind dashboard, you might find a EPS motor fit onto the Steering column. A few pics to show the same.

EPS motor in a ALTO LXi
Alto PS motor.jpg

Old honda city engine bay with HPS (not so sure, can someone confirm)
OHC ENGINE BAY.jpg

Fiat Linea T-jet (100% sure) it is a HPS
linea-t-jet-02 (2).jpg

My favorite the "PALIO" with HPS lid blown up image.
Palio in detail! 002.jpg

Top Bottom