The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   The Technical Zone (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/)
-   -   Restoration Plans For a Maruti 800 (1990) (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/28996-restoration-plans-maruti-800-1990-a.html)

Superswede 11th April 2017 02:15 AM

Restoration Plans For a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
9 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here at TAI, I own a 1990 model of the Maruti Suzuki 800. My mom bought this pre-owned car way back in the year 2000. After she passed away, The car was kept unused for many years. In 2010, we spent around 25k at a local garage and had the engine rebuilt and also did some painting and work on the body. After this service at the garage, I had to pack up and go to college - the car got neglected this way.

I plan on going back home and doing a restoration project this summer in June. As I am in University right now and away from home, I am sorry but I can't tell you guys much about the mechanical condition of the car. I am thinking of having a mechanic look at it by next month. While it certainly needs refurbishing, the cosmetics of the car doesn't seem to be too bad. I think it is fairly okay for a car that has been kept unused and exposed to the sun and rain for a very very long time.

For now I have a two questions in mind:

1. I have doubts over the timely availability of parts in my hometown and so will it be better for me to have my brother hire a mechanic and do an inspection, then I can shop for the required parts online at a site like www.partsbigboss.in and ship directly to my town so that when I reach home, all the required parts will be there.

2. Anyone here have an idea about the cost of repainting the entire car?

Requesting all the Maruti 800 Gurus here to kindly guide me, with your advice, suggestions and knowledge.

Attached below are some photos of the car, I asked my brother to send over so I can share it with you all (Sorry for the low quality photographs)

Vishak 11th April 2017 07:43 PM

Re: Restoration Plans for a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superswede (Post 533306)
1. I have doubts over the timely availability of parts in my hometown and so will it be better for me to have my brother hire a mechanic and do an inspection, then I can shop for the required parts online at a site like www.partsbigboss.in and ship directly to my town so that when I reach home, all the required parts will be there.

Good luck with your restoration
If you have a Maruti Genuine Parts dealer in your place you can get all the OEM Parts .Even though its not available off the shelf if you could make advance payments MGP dealer could arrange spares for you in 15 days.

Looking at the pictures you posted you will definitely need new weather strips and door beadings.

Driveright 11th April 2017 08:54 PM

Re: Restoration Plans for a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superswede (Post 533306)
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here at TAI, I own a 1990 model of the Maruti Suzuki 800. My mom bought this pre-owned car way back in the year 2000. After she passed away, The car was kept unused for many years. In 2010, we spent around 25k at a local garage and had the engine rebuilt and also did some painting and work on the body. After this service at the garage, I had to pack up and go to college - the car got neglected this way.

I plan on going back home and doing a restoration project this summer in June. As I am in University right now and away from home, I am sorry but I can't tell you guys much about the mechanical condition of the car. I am thinking of having a mechanic look at it by next month. While it certainly needs refurbishing, the cosmetics of the car doesn't seem to be too bad. I think it is fairly okay for a car that has been kept unused and exposed to the sun and rain for a very very long time.

For now I have a two questions in mind:

1. I have doubts over the timely availability of parts in my hometown and so will it be better for me to have my brother hire a mechanic and do an inspection, then I can shop for the required parts online at a site like www.partsbigboss.in and ship directly to my town so that when I reach home, all the required parts will be there.

2. Anyone here have an idea about the cost of repainting the entire car?

Requesting all the Maruti 800 Gurus here to kindly guide me, with your advice, suggestions and knowledge.

Attached below are some photos of the car, I asked my brother to send over so I can share it with you all (Sorry for the low quality photographs)

hey great to know that you will be soon starting the restoration!seems like u have a lot to do though from exterior paint restoration to probably examining the engine inside out as it was out of service for a long time .Wish you all the best and do document the entire process with photos and videos and share with us the progress[cheers]

Nanofreak 11th April 2017 11:21 PM

Re: Restoration Plans for a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superswede (Post 533306)
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here at TAI, I own a 1990 model of the Maruti Suzuki 800. My mom bought this pre-owned car way back in the year 2000. After she passed away, The car was kept unused for many years. In 2010, we spent around 25k at a local garage and had the engine rebuilt and also did some painting and work on the body. After this service at the garage, I had to pack up and go to college - the car got neglected this way.

I plan on going back home and doing a restoration project this summer in June. As I am in University right now and away from home, I am sorry but I can't tell you guys much about the mechanical condition of the car. I am thinking of having a mechanic look at it by next month. While it certainly needs refurbishing, the cosmetics of the car doesn't seem to be too bad. I think it is fairly okay for a car that has been kept unused and exposed to the sun and rain for a very very long time.

For now I have a two questions in mind:

1. I have doubts over the timely availability of parts in my hometown and so will it be better for me to have my brother hire a mechanic and do an inspection, then I can shop for the required parts online at a site like www.partsbigboss.in and ship directly to my town so that when I reach home, all the required parts will be there.

2. Anyone here have an idea about the cost of repainting the entire car?

Requesting all the Maruti 800 Gurus here to kindly guide me, with your advice, suggestions and knowledge.

Attached below are some photos of the car, I asked my brother to send over so I can share it with you all (Sorry for the low quality photographs)

Take my advice, sell it off, a 27 year old M800 is not worth investing in restoration, buy a new car.

Superswede 12th April 2017 12:30 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Photos of the Engine bay

The Interiors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishak (Post 533385)
Good luck with your restoration
If you have a Maruti Genuine Parts dealer in your place you can get all the OEM Parts .Even though its not available off the shelf if you could make advance payments MGP dealer could arrange spares for you in 15 days.

Looking at the pictures you posted you will definitely need new weather strips and door beadings.

Hi Vishak, Thanks for suggesting this. We do have an MGP dealer in town.
BTW are spares from MGP the only ones worth buying? Are there any alternative third-party brands in the market for Maruti Suzuki known for their quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanofreak (Post 533402)
Take my advice, sell it off, a 27 year old M800 is not worth investing in restoration, buy a new car.

Hi there Nanofreak thanks for your advice, This thought have crossed my mind many a times. I have also been told the same by many around me to sell it off. Maybe my young mind is too naive but I just don't see the point in selling the car off just for a few thousand rupees.

The restoration project have been on my mind for a couple of years now. With experience and budget nowhere compared to that of others, the work might get rough and not turn out to be as good as what so many others have done but I would like to a least give it a try.

Vishak 12th April 2017 11:52 AM

Re: Restoration Plans for a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superswede (Post 533425)
Are there any alternative third-party brands in the market for Maruti Suzuki known for their quality.

There are numerous third party spares for Maruti 800 but you need to do your home work on choosing a particular brand for a particular spare.

Also seeing the latest pics I'm sure you definitely need to get the rust issues sorted out first before anything else.So think if you could spent time,money and effort in this restoration.Also if your planning to sell it off it wouldn't make sense to restore it.

Rahul401 12th April 2017 09:09 PM

Re: Restoration Plans for a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superswede (Post 533429)
Hi there Nanofreak thanks for your advice, This thought have crossed my mind many a times. I have also been told the same by many around me to sell it off. Maybe my young mind is too naive but I just don't see the point in selling the car off just for a few thousand rupees.

The restoration project have been on my mind for a couple of years now. With experience and budget nowhere compared to that of others, the work might get rough and not turn out to be as good as what so many others have done but I would like to a least give it a try.

I second Nanofreak sir. I have been through the same what you are going through now. I too had 1990 Maruti 800. But after half engine rebuild, almost every part was giving up one by one. Calculated and realized that almost every mechanical part had to be changed. Interiors too needed lot of expenses. In short, apart from chassis and glasses, you will need to change everything in the car which will require a lot of money. Estimate cost will be around 1 lakh which includes repainting. The expense can go upward as well. Even after spending so much, you won't be able to use it as a daily driver.

I don't wish to discourage you. Do it step by step if you wish to do it. You will need lot of spare money & time.

sumitsinha12 16th April 2017 02:18 AM

Re: Restoration Plans For a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superswede (Post 533306)
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here at TAI, I own a 1990 model of the Maruti Suzuki 800. My mom bought this pre-owned car way back in the year 2000. After she passed away, The car was kept unused for many years. In 2010, we spent around 25k at a local garage and had the engine rebuilt and also did some painting and work on the body. After this service at the garage, I had to pack up and go to college - the car got neglected this way.

I plan on going back home and doing a restoration project this summer in June. As I am in University right now and away from home, I am sorry but I can't tell you guys much about the mechanical condition of the car. I am thinking of having a mechanic look at it by next month. While it certainly needs refurbishing, the cosmetics of the car doesn't seem to be too bad. I think it is fairly okay for a car that has been kept unused and exposed to the sun and rain for a very very long time.

For now I have a two questions in mind:

1. I have doubts over the timely availability of parts in my hometown and so will it be better for me to have my brother hire a mechanic and do an inspection, then I can shop for the required parts online at a site like www.partsbigboss.in and ship directly to my town so that when I reach home, all the required parts will be there.

2. Anyone here have an idea about the cost of repainting the entire car?

Requesting all the Maruti 800 Gurus here to kindly guide me, with your advice, suggestions and knowledge.

Attached below are some photos of the car, I asked my brother to send over so I can share it with you all (Sorry for the low quality photographs)

First of all- PLEASE do not sell this car. Yes, its a 1990 model, Yes its old, Yes its in bad state. BUT, Please dont sell it. Reasons-
1) Its your mom's car.
2) In a second hand market, You will get a maximum of 15-20k. If you put 30-40k now (Good mechanic who knows what he is doing), the car won't trouble you for another 7-8 years. Trust me, old gen Marutis are a gem. They take abuse like anything.

Now coming to the car, from whatever i can see in the pictures above, please proceed in this manner (Just a suggestion from my side)-

1) Mechanicals: Check the engine compression, Service the engine with- New Engine oil, oil filter, Air filter, petrol filter, spartk plugs, Distributor leads, CB points, condensor, New gear oil and coolant (With radiator washing), carburettor OH, Engine tuning (Preferably with dwell meter and timing gun available at MASS, Tappet adjustment)
If the car hasn't been started for long, please clean the fuel tank too.
Check the condition of suspension, steering. If your mech says that Steering overhaul is required, straight away replace the complete steering rake (costs Rs 695 in MGP), get new tie rod ends and all rubber bushes.
Also check the front and rear shock absorber for leakage, rear leaf spring bushes.
Check the condition of clutch plate, pressure plate.
Replace the brake oil with a new one, bleed the lines, clean front and rear brakes, Check rear wheel cylinders for leakage, replace pads and shoes if necessary.
Do get the caliper pin replaced and greased.

2) Get it washed thoroughly inside out. (Take it to a car washing center, tell them to remove the carpets, and the floor drain plugs, and wash the floor too)- After this, you will be able to correctly judge the level of rust in the car.
If the rust is on surface, just sand it out completely, apply good quality primer (Preferably zinc primer), Put 2-3 coats of paint.
If rust is perforated (Panel has holes due to rust), replace that panel completely. Each and every panel is separately available with MGP, even the floor pan, cross members, you name it.
Check these areas for rust- Entire floor pan, Rear wheel wells, Rear cross member (Where the rear leaf springs are mounted), Fuel filter bracket, Cowl panel, Running board, inside of doors and the bottom part of doors, Front cross member, Dash cross member, Bonnet (From inside), Dicky (from inside)
The battery tray in your car is heavily corroded, please replace it with a new one (Costs Rs 75 in MGP).
Also from the pics of floor, i cannot see any perforations, so its a good news for you.

3) I think tyres are too old (from the pics), replace tyres in a set of 4 for best result.

4) Interiors- The car needs new door pads, new roof lining, sunshades. (all available in MGP, door pads may have stopped)

5) New wiper arms and blades. Will suggest you to go for Type II wiper arm and blades. Costs approx 400 for set in MGP

Regarding spares, all the mechanical bits are available at MGP store. I will suggest you to get the repairs done at a good MASS. If you have your trusted mechanic, you can get the mechanical done from him too, but stick to MGP spares.
For cosmetics bits, try your luck at MGP, if not then go for partsbigboss.

Washing- Mechanicals- Body- Interiors.

Please don't sell it and keep the thread updated.
Good luck on your restoration.
Here is the link of my 800's restoration-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...storation.html

Superswede 17th April 2017 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishak (Post 533447)
I'm sure you definitely need to get the rust issues sorted out first before anything else.So think if you could spent time,money and effort in this restoration.Also if your planning to sell it off it wouldn't make sense to restore it.

Yes I agree Vishak, the rust issue is top priority. I want to resolve this problem first so that it doesn't become worse in time and No I don't see any plans of selling the car off soon. [:)]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahul401 (Post 533499)
I second Nanofreak sir. I have been through the same what you are going through now. I too had 1990 Maruti 800. But after half engine rebuild, almost every part was giving up one by one. Calculated and realized that almost every mechanical part had to be changed. Interiors too needed lot of expenses. In short, apart from chassis and glasses, you will need to change everything in the car which will require a lot of money. Estimate cost will be around 1 lakh which includes repainting. The expense can go upward as well. Even after spending so much, you won't be able to use it as a daily driver.

I don't wish to discourage you. Do it step by step if you wish to do it. You will need lot of spare money & time.

Thanks for the Advice Rahul. I am not a rich man [:D] and a full fledged restoration job is a long shot but there is also no hurry to get the job done right here and right now. I am looking forward to just get the thing running and hoping the rest will slowly fall into place, bit by bit. Thanks again.

Superswede 18th April 2017 03:35 AM

Re: Restoration Plans For a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitsinha12 (Post 535487)
First of all- PLEASE do not sell this car. Yes, its a 1990 model, Yes its old, Yes its in bad state. BUT, Please dont sell it. Reasons-
1) Its your mom's car.
2) In a second hand market, You will get a maximum of 15-20k. If you put 30-40k now (Good mechanic who knows what he is doing), the car won't trouble you for another 7-8 years. Trust me, old gen Marutis are a gem. They take abuse like anything.

Now coming to the car, from whatever i can see in the pictures above, please proceed in this manner (Just a suggestion from my side)-

1) Mechanicals: Check the engine compression, Service the engine with- New Engine oil, oil filter, Air filter, petrol filter, spartk plugs, Distributor leads, CB points, condensor, New gear oil and coolant (With radiator washing), carburettor OH, Engine tuning (Preferably with dwell meter and timing gun available at MASS, Tappet adjustment)
If the car hasn't been started for long, please clean the fuel tank too.
Check the condition of suspension, steering. If your mech says that Steering overhaul is required, straight away replace the complete steering rake (costs Rs 695 in MGP), get new tie rod ends and all rubber bushes.
Also check the front and rear shock absorber for leakage, rear leaf spring bushes.
Check the condition of clutch plate, pressure plate.
Replace the brake oil with a new one, bleed the lines, clean front and rear brakes, Check rear wheel cylinders for leakage, replace pads and shoes if necessary.
Do get the caliper pin replaced and greased.

2) Get it washed thoroughly inside out. (Take it to a car washing center, tell them to remove the carpets, and the floor drain plugs, and wash the floor too)- After this, you will be able to correctly judge the level of rust in the car.
If the rust is on surface, just sand it out completely, apply good quality primer (Preferably zinc primer), Put 2-3 coats of paint.
If rust is perforated (Panel has holes due to rust), replace that panel completely. Each and every panel is separately available with MGP, even the floor pan, cross members, you name it.
Check these areas for rust- Entire floor pan, Rear wheel wells, Rear cross member (Where the rear leaf springs are mounted), Fuel filter bracket, Cowl panel, Running board, inside of doors and the bottom part of doors, Front cross member, Dash cross member, Bonnet (From inside), Dicky (from inside)
The battery tray in your car is heavily corroded, please replace it with a new one (Costs Rs 75 in MGP).
Also from the pics of floor, i cannot see any perforations, so its a good news for you.

3) I think tyres are too old (from the pics), replace tyres in a set of 4 for best result.

4) Interiors- The car needs new door pads, new roof lining, sunshades. (all available in MGP, door pads may have stopped)

5) New wiper arms and blades. Will suggest you to go for Type II wiper arm and blades. Costs approx 400 for set in MGP

Regarding spares, all the mechanical bits are available at MGP store. I will suggest you to get the repairs done at a good MASS. If you have your trusted mechanic, you can get the mechanical done from him too, but stick to MGP spares.
For cosmetics bits, try your luck at MGP, if not then go for partsbigboss.

Washing- Mechanicals- Body- Interiors.

Please don't sell it and keep the thread updated.
Good luck on your restoration.
Here is the link of my 800's restoration-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...storation.html

Thanks Sumit, You have shed a lot of light on how to go about with the project with your detailed write-up.

I have a couple of questions. Mainly regarding the cosmetics of the car. (Don't know much about the technical stuff and also got no idea about the mechanical state of the car at the moment, as I am away from home.)

1. What are the recommended tyre size options available for the 800?

2. I went through your post, the glasses and the dashboard on your car looks pristine. Did it only take a waxing/cleaning job to do the trick? Also can you tell me a little about that layer of grey paint used in the engine bay?

3. Any idea regarding the cost involved with getting the seats refurbished? changing the cushion and the covers.

Thanks so much!

sumitsinha12 19th April 2017 01:22 PM

Re: Restoration Plans For a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superswede (Post 535674)
Thanks Sumit, You have shed a lot of light on how to go about with the project with your detailed write-up.

I have a couple of questions. Mainly regarding the cosmetics of the car. (Don't know much about the technical stuff and also got no idea about the mechanical state of the car at the moment, as I am away from home.)

1. What are the recommended tyre size options available for the 800?

2. I went through your post, the glasses and the dashboard on your car looks pristine. Did it only take a waxing/cleaning job to do the trick? Also can you tell me a little about that layer of grey paint used in the engine bay?

3. Any idea regarding the cost involved with getting the seats refurbished? changing the cushion and the covers.

Thanks so much!

Hi Superswede, answering your questions here-

1) Stick to stock size. The original tyres were cross ply tyres (non radial) that was 5.65-12. But, avoid cross ply tyres as they are not safe, plus handling is not that good with them. Go for radial tyres- 145/70 R12.

2) The glasses and dashboard are old one. My car had sunfilm (when it came back), it was hard to remove, but succeeded. Then a good wipe with thinner made them shine.
Regarding the dashboard, use detergent and bristled brush to clean it. Or you can also use upholstery cleaner of a good brand. After that a dashboard polish (preferably 3M) will make them shine as new.

3) My seats were refurbished by a local seat maker, He charged me Rs 3500 for re cushioning and new rexin over the old one. New seat covers will cost you according to your taste. (Leather or fabric).
If the seats are too much damaged, you can get new seat foams from MGP too.

Regarding the grey paint in the engine bay, it is normal paint, done by my painter, which i wont recommend you. Please stick to the original color.
One advice- Please start with mechanical works, untill and unless the body is heavily perforated.

Superswede 10th November 2017 12:07 AM

Re: Restoration Plans For a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
Hello guys, I was home for roughly 2 weeks recently and when i was there, I had a mechanic over at my place and had him looked at the car.

I tried to start the car directly by borrowing a battery and Nooope, it just wouldn't start, and so i call up a friend who owns a parts store and had a chat with him about the issue. He suggested me that the problem might be one of electrical and not mechanical, and so later I had a Car battery/electrician come over and check up on it. He suggested me to call a mechanic instead and get the carburetor and distributor system cleaned. Next few days I spent trying to find a mechanic who could give the time to come home and do the work, I had to wait for 4 days to finally come across a friend's Uncle -a self-taught mechanic on the 800. He was kind enough to come over one evening and tinker with the car, he cleaned the carburettor, replaced some worn out gaskets, made some minor parts replacement inside the distributor and VOILA! the car started without any problems...okay well not exactly, there was another massive issue, the brakes were jammed!

I will be home in a month or so and so i'll call him over and get the problem sorted. I'll attach some more pictures below, some pictures i took after giving it a rough wash. thanks all for following, participating and importantly helping me out!

Superswede 10th November 2017 12:40 AM

Re: Restoration Plans For a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
4 Attachment(s)
Photos after a rough wash :) Sorry couldn't take the picture from the front because of the brakes :( the dents and paint loss will be dealt for sure in the near future, after all the mechanical problems are sorted out.

Superswede 10th November 2017 12:41 AM

Re: Restoration Plans For a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
5 Attachment(s)
You guys have any idea for a DIY technique to refurbish the dash? ideas on how to polish the wear and tear look on the dash? I have seen some videos of people using a hot air blower. anyone tried that?

Superswede 10th November 2017 12:46 AM

Re: Restoration Plans For a Maruti 800 (1990)
 
2 Attachment(s)
The main rusted areas in the car, Driver and passenger sides. Is it really that bad? [cry]


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
©2008 - 2017, The Automotive India. All Rights Reserved.