Nissan Sunny Starter Motor Problem

Thread Starter #1
Dear All,

I own a Nisan Sunny. It has done 30000 kms. All of the sudden it refused to start. And when I checked with the Mechanic, it was found to be a start motor problem. I replaced the start motor. It costed me around 40K INR. My question what are the reasons for the start motor to fail?

Dear All,

I own a Nisan Sunny. It has done 30000 kms. All of the sudden it refused to start. And when I checked with the Mechanic, it was found to be a start motor problem. I replaced the start motor. It costed me around 40K INR. My question what are the reasons for the start motor to fail?
* poor battery leading to repeated starting attempts on a low power battery
* poor earthing connections

ask your mechanic about the reason for the failure . also as a precautionary measure check the car's electricals

Starter motors are built really robust and the chances of them failing are very slim. So, the reasons can be one or more of the following as far as I know.
1. Repeated and prolonged cranking - will eat away the windings like a kid eats chocolates.
2. Short circuits in the leads which might have burnt out the coil endings.
3. De-enamelling caused by excessive heat which might have caused a winding short - instant motor death.
As a rule of the thumb, it's best to follow these steps:
1. Never crank for more than three to five seconds.
2. If the car does not start in the first attempt, give 30 seconds to cool down the windings before re-cranking.
3. Keep the engine at the least possible load during starting - AC off, Stereo off, lights off etc.
4. Periodically inspect the engine bay for any signs of abnormalities in the wiring - loose connections, fissures in the wire sheaths, oxide deposits etc. Always a good practice to open the hood once in a while[:)]

Dear All,

I don't know the technicalities but, is it only the starter motor which was changed or the starter motor+ solenoid switch?

I used to own a pre-worshiped esteem, one fine day I cranked the engine and nothing. The trick i managed to do for a certain time period was a few on/off cycles on the ignition switch and another fine day the thing gave up. I went to MASS and they said the sarter motor is dying and they quoted a huge amount to replace it with a new one(can't remember exactly how much). I just showed this outside just to cross check if the MASS is taking me for a ride and yes, they were. The mechanic outside said that the started motor solenoid switch is weak he said he can repair it but suggested me to get a new one. I replaced it with a new one and that's it.

So this is the reason I asked you did he change the solenoid switch as well? if yes then is it possible that the motor was fine and it was only the solenoid switch which was faulty?

Top Bottom