Engine Oil Change Question

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

Serviced my Baleno 1.2p at 10.5k km back in September and they put in servo oil which almost everyone agrees is not great. I spoke to my trusted mechanuc then and he suggested to replace the oil at 15k km as i had already spent on it anyway. Now i am approaching 15k km and the engine behavior is st best described as lethargic. So i will definitely get the oil replaced at 15k. Two questions-

1. What 0w 20 oil to use?
2. Is there something i can do in the interim (500km) to prepare the engine for oil change?

Ameyam

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: oil change question

I was just browsing about engine oils and came across your post.[:D]

Sorry hijacking your thread but why does maruti uses 0w20 ? According to various sites this grade is apt for lower temperature region.

I think 5w30 or 10w40 should be the apt choice ?

I was searching for 0w20 grade and found only servo's. No other brand has it atleast on indian sites.

Thread Starter #3

Actually, the grade of oil i will put in is mostly a secondary issue right now. It will be whatever the manual asks for. Whai want to know is the brand and what i can do in the interim

Ameyam

Please go as recommended in the manual, as the mfr has done extensive research before putting a certain grade of oil in the said car. Normally mass go as per book, change the mass and see what he has to put

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

You should go with castrol(if you want semi synthetic) or Mobil 1 (fully synthetic)
There is no need to do anything before the oil change.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Thread Starter #8
I will obviously keeping the same grade as the manual. Only the brand is the issue. There is MGO retail shop at Century bazaar, i will drop by there this Saturday and work out the oil replacement. But i guess its a consensus that i should go for full synthetic oil? Also a bardahl flush before replacing?

Ameyam

0W20 oil available with many brands now, brands include Total and Idemistu. In fact Total is the first brand brought 0W20 oil to the consumer. I have tried Total it is good.

-suryaputhra

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
0W20 oil available with many brands now, brands include Total and Idemistu. In fact Total is the first brand brought 0W20 oil to the consumer. I have tried Total it is good.

-suryaputhra
Used total for many months and then suddenly it just got wiped off from the market. Atleast where I get the servicing done.
They used that cash coupon promotion method and have seen mechanics with such oupons. Now I don't see a single can in any of the shops.

MSIL released three types of K12MN engines, OCT 2014 type 3 entered in market, from 2014 on wards MSIL using 0W20 engine oil extensively. They have made lot of changes to type 3 K12MN engine to accommodate 0W20 oil including new engine block, new cylinder sleeves, resin coated pistons and rings, new type spark plugs, oil sump, pcv valve and engine head. There are several disadvantages with 0W20 oil, I have discussed my Dzire ownership review.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-sangria-red-ownership-review.html#post478556

But what to do it is the oil owners manual recommends. Engineers say it offers superior engine protection and fuel economy but experience and critics say its only for fuel economy not for engine longevity. Anyway longevity does not matter now a days people will use cars for 4 to 7 years.

-suryaputhra

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Ok, lets face it. Assuming that the manual recommends 0W20, that's what we are going to need to use. If otherwise, the ASC can deny warranty in future.
Now with regards to brand. If Shell is good enough, why no use it? I mean, I can always say its MGA.
If I am not mistaken, the mechanic will change the oil filter with the oil. If so, doesn't it make sense to go for a flush whilst changing oil, especially as I am going to change the make. Otherwise the new oil will have traces of the old stuff including any carbon and sludge that had formed in the old stock. If I am not mistaken, bardahl costs 300 bucks and doesn't harm the engine in any way

Ameyam

Top Bottom