Maruti Alto 1.1 VXi: Overhaul or Sell?

Thread Starter #1
I have a dilemma. My Alto 1.1 VXI 2001 model is now 15 years old but still doing pretty well. The engine has never been opened nor the gearbox, the fan belts are still the original, the body has been repainted once, tyres changed 6 times, shockers 4 times, drive shafts 3 times, the original wiring is still intact and it has clocked more that 1.0 lakh kilometers over mud, slush, rural roads, potholes etc on my tours.

There are no creaks thumps or odd sounds while driving till this day, is as smooth as ever and has never broken down. In short it is still pretty much as original as the day I bought it. However pulling has come down and mobil consumption has gone up.

Should I go in for a half engine as per what my local mechanic says, or change only the head gasket, or buy a new car? Truth be told I have grown fond of the car but am also concerned that if a half engine is installed it may not be the same. Request advice on what would be the best option.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Selling at 15 year old vehicle in Regular market will not Fetch much.
I suggest you get the budgets of Overhaul and then decide.
Sometimes you can get half engine at good price from Accident/Scrap cars.

Thread Starter #3
Thank you for your advice. Earlier Maruti had brand new half engines which they said would give a new lease of life to 800 engines. Would those, if available for alto, be advisable or a complete engine overhaul?

bhvm

Honoured Member
Yes, certainly,
Brand new Engines, from maruti MGA would be definately a better alternative than used or unknown engines. Just that the cost will be pushed to higher side.

There are some hotshots on the forum who know very well about restoration-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ruti-suzuki-sb308-restoration-1986-model.html

They can also help you.
There was a thread regarding Esteem or Baleno engine restore just like you, But I couldn't locate it.

I have completed 2 lakh km in my 19 year old zen, no performance drop, no fuel efficiency drop. Car is not consuming engine oil. I just kept half engine for future use 32K. Recently brought 2015 Swift Dzire face lift model but my first love is zen. If you car not consuming engine oil no need of half engine. You need to do couple of things, that will improve pickup. 1.1L spare parts availability is not up to the mark, check with your MGP spares distributor. If your car not consuming oil then let me know I will suggest couple of things to improve pick up.

-suryaputhra

If you are NOT tired of the car AND if the car is NOT milking you (vis-a-vis maintenance cost), there is no need to change it. Poke around and see, if you can get an intact engine from a written off Alto 1.1. Will be available with Insurance Cos (may be) or local dealers. A friend of mine did just that for his Tata Sierra; bought it from Vellore in TN and brought it to Bengaluru (~ 210 km). He is driving his Sierra happily for the last 3+ years. Even the lunatics in BLR traffic keep away from his Sierra [;)]

For this to work, you need to have some luck and a nice network of mechanics. Give it a try, if you like it. Good luck.

Thread Starter #7
I have completed 2 lakh km in my 19 year old zen, no performance drop, no fuel efficiency drop. Car is not consuming engine oil. I just kept half engine for future use 32K. Recently brought 2015 Swift Dzire face lift model but my first love is zen. If you car not consuming engine oil no need of half engine. You need to do couple of things, that will improve pickup. 1.1L spare parts availability is not up to the mark, check with your MGP spares distributor. If your car not consuming oil then let me know I will suggest couple of things to improve pick up.

-suryaputhra
It has started consuming engine oil and that is why the question. I am very fond of the car and I think it definitely has many more miles in it. Thanks for the sugestions

Yes, certainly,
Brand new Engines, from maruti MGA would be definately a better alternative than used or unknown engines. Just that the cost will be pushed to higher side.

There are some hotshots on the forum who know very well about restoration-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ruti-suzuki-sb308-restoration-1986-model.html

They can also help you.
There was a thread regarding Esteem or Baleno engine restore just like you, But I couldn't locate it.
Thank you for the lead. Will send a mail to maruti to find out if they still have half engines.

If you are NOT tired of the car AND if the car is NOT milking you (vis-a-vis maintenance cost), there is no need to change it. Poke around and see, if you can get an intact engine from a written off Alto 1.1. Will be available with Insurance Cos (may be) or local dealers. A friend of mine did just that for his Tata Sierra; bought it from Vellore in TN and brought it to Bengaluru (~ 210 km). He is driving his Sierra happily for the last 3+ years. Even the lunatics in BLR traffic keep away from his Sierra [;)]

For this to work, you need to have some luck and a nice network of mechanics. Give it a try, if you like it. Good luck.
Never thought of that. Thanks for the suggestions

It has started consuming engine oil and that is why the question. I am very fond of the car and I think it definitely has many more miles in it. Thanks for the sugestions
When my earlier Bajaj bike developed same issue, Engine Oil was found to be escaping thro the exhaust valve (of engine cylinder). It was not sitting correctly in its position (to close the exit) due to wear. Bajaj guys couldn't diagnose it, while a local mechanic in East Delhi's Jhilmil rectified it.

I don't know if it is applicable to a bigger Petrol engine.

Thread Starter #9
When my earlier Bajaj bike developed same issue, Engine Oil was found to be escaping thro the exhaust valve (of engine cylinder). It was not sitting correctly in its position (to close the exit) due to wear. Bajaj guys couldn't diagnose it, while a local mechanic in East Delhi's Jhilmil rectified it.

I don't know if it is applicable to a bigger Petrol engine.

Thanks might be worth checking it out

Thread Starter #11
Below link I have referred options for engine rebuild in "My suggestion" para pls check

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...er-maruti-esteem-vxi-2006-a-6.html#post517130

-suryaputhra
Than you Mr. Suryaputhra. Will try from MGP but I will get my vehicle checked up once again to determine the exact nature of the problem.

Than you Mr. Suryaputhra. Will try from MGP but I will get my vehicle checked up once again to determine the exact nature of the problem.

By the way where can I get the part number of the Alto half engine?

Alto 1.1 half engine part no for 3 cyl 10100M79G20 costs Rs.17739, for 4 cyl half engine part no 10100M79F20 costs Rs.22347. Four cylinder engines are very few batches.

Along with half engine you need to buy head parts like inlet and exhaust valves, valve guides, stem oil seals, possibly camshaft. Do good head rework with the parts mentationed then your engine can run 2 lakh more..

-suryaputhra

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Alto 1.1 half engine part no for 3 cyl 10100M79G20 costs Rs.17739, for 4 cyl half engine part no 10100M79F20 costs Rs.22347. Four cylinder engines are very few batches.

Along with half engine you need to buy head parts like inlet and exhaust valves, valve guides, stem oil seals, possibly camshaft. Do good head rework with the parts mentationed then your engine can run 2 lakh more..

-suryaputhra
Thank you very much Sir. You have been such a great help. Now let me get an estimate from the workshop

Top Bottom