Do You Have To Change Flywheel Along with Broken Clutch?

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

My clutch broke in the middle of nowhere which is not a surprise since the problem persisted since long and I had to sit on this considering the total cost of spare parts.

Again, it's my fault that I should have changed it as soon as the problem started. Luckily, the service center was just 2KM away. The mechanic tested and confirmed once again (there were two already) that the clutch was gone.

I got a call from the service center the next day saying they don't have flywheel available and it would take 10 days to arrive. They also told me that the flywheel on my car was in good condition and no need to change it and that if something happens to the clutch (because of the flywheel) within 20K miles then it will be changed free of cost. So, I had no other option than to agree.

It's a smoother clutch now but the pick up has reduced (as so many people said in the online forums). Now, I'm not really sure it's a good idea to spend another 45K on the flywheel after spending a whopping 65K for the clutch, timing belt, and general service.

Do you really believe the reduced pick up is because of the flywheel? I don't feel the 130HP power anymore [frustration]. I found some aftermarket flywheel for Optra magnum for 25K. Is that good to go with an aftermarket product without warranty like the service center gives?

Thanks so much for answering!

Common practise is change clutch plate, cover assembly, throw out bearing along with flywheel. Read aa1car.com, car bibles and engine builder magazine for more info.

-suryaputhra

Best to change all together. If not, flywheel change is not a must. Initially you may find jerks during gearshift.After sometime smoothness will come.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks All,

Visually inspect and replace. That's the best way.please mention the model of car
It's Optra magnum high-end variation. As I said, the service center guy said the flywheel is fine after inspecting. So, I just wanted to make sure.

Common practice is change clutch plate, cover assembly, throw out bearing along with flywheel. Read aa1car.com, car bibles and engine builder magazine for more info.
Thanks for the site.

Best to change all together. If not, flywheel change is not a must. Initially you may find jerks during gearshift.After sometime smoothness will come.
Then it looks like my car is perfectly ok. There's no jerk at all and no problem in gear shifting. On thing noticeable is around -25% pickup decrease.

Top Bottom