Automatic Radiator Fan Issue in M800

Thread Starter #1
Hi!! i think this is my first ever post on TAI. Well i have a 97 M800. this car has an automatic radiator cooling fan. i wanted to ask you whether it is a good practice to switch off the ignition while the fan is running? my mechanic tells me that you should keep the engine on till the fan switches off. otherwise in the log run, it could damage the engine. is it true?

Hello Stayinalive welcome to TAI , i have no idea about your question but why don you share more about yourself here and your ride.

Hi!! i think this is my first ever post on TAI. Well i have a 97 M800. this car has an automatic radiator cooling fan. i wanted to ask you whether it is a good practice to switch off the ignition while the fan is running? my mechanic tells me that you should keep the engine on till the fan switches off. otherwise in the log run, it could damage the engine. is it true?
Welcome to tai.

its a good practice to idle the car before switching off be it turbo or non turbo car so that the oils may work out

As your mechanic says its a good practice to wait til the fan cut off - meaning there is good idling and the oil temperatures have come down to ok level.

But switching off while the fan is running is not a big harm

Thread Starter #5
Well as you know i am from Pune. i have a bike (Fiero F2) and a maruti 800. both are running fine. well i dont use the car much since here in Pune there is too much of traffic, and sometimes driving the 800 is a pain! so thats why i prefer riding my bike.

Regarding my bike, its a 2003 model, and has completed 78,000kms. and my 800 is a 96' model having completed 70,000kms!! my car is in top notch condition, gives a great avg of about 21kmpl(both city and highway combined). Maintainance is absolutely zero.

i didnt see any Fiero forums in "the two wheels" section?!?!

350Z

Core Team
What your mechanic advised to you is right; this is a good practice to let the radiator fan automatically turn off (or at least allow it to complete a round or two) before completely idling the car, however, honestly I have rarely followed it with my eight year old Maruti 800, and things are still going alright, hopefully.

i didnt see any Fiero forums in "the two wheels" section?!?!
Nice bike. You always have an option to create one. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Friends my september 97 800's thermostate brokedown a few months ago n since then it runs all the time when the engine is running or ignition switch is on "on" position.So is there any problem if the fan continuosly runs for long ?

Buddy, even my old maruti 800 is overheating a lot. Fan is working.
What could be the issue ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Friends my september 97 800's thermostate brokedown a few months ago n since then it runs all the time when the engine is running or ignition switch is on "on" position.So is there any problem if the fan continuosly runs for long ?
Puts load on the battery lesser fan life. The earlier premier padmini/amby used to have a mech fan driven by belt so it used to run even if no cooling is required, but since it was mechanical the load was put directly on to the engine.

Top Bottom