Skoda Rapid Skidded Inspite of ABS

Thread Starter #1
While I intended to switch the lane from left to right due to some pothhole, even-though I was cursing at 107KMPH and I applied brakes hardly the car didn't stop instead is skidded and hit a pillar stone which was in the off road without any control though there was a option of ABS installed in car, I couldn't figure out if it worked properly and
I couldn't figure out why the steering wheel behaved the other way around, Hence i Lost the total control, the point to note here is my car literally malfunctioned (mechanical or technician problem).

skoda-rapid-accident-spot-pics

Whether the steering has been locked, why the wheels turned towards left, I applied brakes, ABS didn't kick in. However its because of sheer-luck we escaped with minor injuries as airbags got deployed. Sufficient pictures are attached in the link provided below which clearly depicts the Tyre marks that I have applied brakes, then why ABS didn't work?. If worked, why the car drifted ? turned reciprocally and halted.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Unfortunate incident but happy that you didn't had any major injuries.

Do you remember hitting the pothole ? If the car went in the pothole while you were applying brakes , abs will kick in but won't do its job and you will loose the brakes. It's one of the disadvantages.

Happened in my verna as well but didn't have any mishap because road ahead was clear.

Thread Starter #4
I was driving my car at speed of 107KMPH with 4 of my relatives and it was a dry sunny road. No , Left wheel was just on its edge.

20160114_124158.jpg

20160114_124212.jpg

20160114_124225.jpg

20160114_124233.jpg

These pictures shows the hard braking as the tyre marks are clearly visible . Being a German make it has some trust which is lost.

20160114_124254.jpg

20160114_124258.jpg

IMG_20160114_124747.jpg

IMG_20160114_124806.jpg

IMG_20160114_124812.jpg

every thing has a exception or it would say limitation. May be it's new that ABS did not kick in for some reason. Glad that you are fine. Looking at the damage your car have withstood crash well and saved you.

Thread Starter #9
I raised complaint with skoda. This is their response .

Dear sir,

As per our tele discussion had with you, already we had sent a safety relevant query to Skoda Technical team, they have sent the reply which is said that there are no diagnostic trouble codes (fault memory) registered in the brake electronics in the submitted ONLINE diagnostic protocol and also found no traces of brake fluid leakage and no abnormalities/damages noticed on brake components . So, they are conclusion that the function of brake system of the vehicle visualized OK condition, however further analysis to check brake system function can’t be possible as the vehicle underneath found extensively damaged and the vehicle found immovable condition.

This is for your kind information.

Regards,
<Skoda>Service Manager

What's the manufacturing date of the car?
What's the odo reading when the unfortunate mishap occurred?

What are manufacturing dates of all the tyres.?

When was last servicing carried out? (kms & date)?

Steering can misbehave if one of the front wheel gets stuck in the pothole restricting the right or left response to the instructions passed via steering wheel for a moment at such high speed..

Thread Starter #12
odo was ~10K ran. manufactured #Jan 2015.
Apollo R15 Stock tyres are brand new.
first service was about for due .
Didn't ran into the pothole just avoided !
Can you make out the tyre marks ? car was dragged though the brakes was applied and it was a dry sunny road as well and not wet. Seems my bad luck :-(
And easily you can make out the distance from road to where it got halted that too due to a pillar stone.

Driving at 100KMPH for this sedan is quite acceptable.

P.S. dropbox link contains high quality images so that you can zoom to make out the tyre marks, distance to halt etc

Last edited:
I too experienced similar dragging experience on my RAPID DIESEL AT but at low speeds hence safe.
Tried to reproduce it & following are my observations.
The A pedal of Skoda Rapid is too much sensitive. It starts revving the engine at slightest touch.
While applying brake we lift the right leg from A pedal and place it on B pedal. While pressing the B pedal you need to put the foot exactly on the middle of the B pedal. If you happen to place your foot on the right edge of the B pedal it is very much likely to skid further towards left (towards A pedal) If leading edge of your footwear happen to touch & press the A pedal, you get the dragging sensation( Wheels trying to stop the car & simultaneously engine trying to pull the car forward).

The skidding of footwear underneath the foot sole is more likely to happen if you are wearing Chappal rather than shoes.
I also noted that the right edge of my B pedal has weared more than the left. Yes, I do wear chappal mere frequently than the shoes.

Isn't the cruise control suppose to dis-engage upon applying the brakes?

Akash
Yes, once speed goes bellow 25 kmph, CCS gets disengaged. You have to reset at desired speed it once speed is anywhere above 25 kmph.

It is clear that the ABS didn’t engage. The tell-tale track of ABS braking is missing . Even if the wheels did hit the pot holes, ABS should have worked as ABS would be pulsing the breaks up to 15 times /sec. At a speed of over 100 Kmph, the car wheel would be in and out of pothole in a fraction of second and would not affect the ABS or steering in any way unless the ‘pot hole’ was a deep and wide gouge. Since the company has ruled out ABS malfunction, nothing short of accident reconstruction would help in understanding the reason for ABS not engaging. I don’t see such an investigation happening for a non-fatal accident. Unfortunately, sometimes in life we just have to shrug and move on.
In future it would be prudent to test the ABS once in a while on safe roads to ensure that it works as designed.
As for Cruise Control, it is relevant only if it was 'on' through out the incident. I am sure it would have disengaged the moment you pressed the brake.

Last edited:

Top Bottom