Noise Above 40 Kmph in Maruti 800 - Help

Thread Starter #1
My car is silent bellow 40Km/Hr but above that there is low frequency noise in the cabin.

To isolate this problem...

1. Wheel bearing suspect: I jacked up all four wheels one by one and checked smooth rotation of the wheel. All wheels rotates smoothly.

2. When in motion and speed above 40Km/Hr. I pressed clutch to isolate engine from gear. Noise do not reduce. Also in speed on empty road I switched off ignition and pressed clutch. Noise is still there.

Is this noise is due to JK tyre(more than five years old)?, Wheel bearing?, problem in differential?, or Dry CV joints?

Please help

Re: Noise above 40Km/Hr - Help

My car is silent bellow 40Km/Hr but above that there is low frequency noise in the cabin.

To isolate this problem...

1. Wheel bearing suspect: I jacked up all four wheels one by one and checked smooth rotation of the wheel. All wheels rotates smoothly.

2. When in motion and speed above 40Km/Hr. I pressed clutch to isolate engine from gear. Noise do not reduce. Also in speed on empty road I switched off ignition and pressed clutch. Noise is still there.

Is this noise is due to JK tyre(more than five years old)?, Wheel bearing?, problem in differential?, or Dry CV joints?

Please help
First thing first you should not switch off the car while in motion. Pls let me know the car model. How many KM on ODO. What are the works and replacements carried on car.

-suryaputhra

Thread Starter #6

First thing first you should not switch off the car while in motion. Pls let me know the car model. How many KM on ODO. What are the works and replacements carried on car.

-suryaputhra
I understand your concern and fully aware of the risk. I did this on empty road. I switched off ignition but took care not to lock steering.

M800@1.7L Kms. No recent work carried out this noise gradually started. Other than this noise there is not problem in the car. Yesterday completed 300Kms trip.

It is Carb car completed 30 years.

Last edited:

Hey have you tried to rule out bad engine belt ?may be its slipping beyond the 40kms/hr speed and making the noise increase with speed .

If you can elaborate what kind of noise then we can help you.

If its screeching noise, it can be due to worn out bearings. The noise from worn out bearings may not come at parking speeds or when you rotate the wheel when its jacked up.

Hi,

This may be due to hard tyre rubber. Cause is from parking the car under sun for very long time or parking the car without using for 2 to 3 weeks inside the garage.

Since you said they age of the tyre is above five year try changing with other tyres (Only for checking purpose) , If your problem gets solved its better to purchase new tyres.

Regards
Gireesh Raj

mayankdixit

Honoured Member

M800@1.7L Kms. No recent work carried out this noise gradually started. Other than this noise there is not problem in the car.
It is Carb car completed 30 years.
Congrats for doing so much with the car,and for persisting with it patiently for 30 years.
Please get the front disc brake calipers/clips for the sound.Does Lubricating them or replacing them make the sound go away?Please check and reply.

Thread Starter #13
Thank you friends for your valuable contribution.

Its definitely not screeching sound. I know that sound very well as one of the wheel bearing was failed in the past.

This sound is hard to describe. Its some kind of rubbing noise. Funny thing is at low speed car is absolutely silent.

Congrats for doing so much with the car,and for persisting with it patiently for 30 years.
Please get the front disc brake calipers/clips for the sound.Does Lubricating them or replacing them make the sound go away?Please check and reply.
Thank you. I have emotional attachment with this car. It has served me faithfully (touchwood). I take care of the routine maintenance from carb/plug/EGR cleaning to timing adjustment myself.

Hi,

This may be due to hard tyre rubber. Cause is from parking the car under sun for very long time or parking the car without using for 2 to 3 weeks inside the garage.

Since you said they age of the tyre is above five year try changing with other tyres (Only for checking purpose) , If your problem gets solved its better to purchase new tyres.

Regards
Gireesh Raj
This is my main suspect as Im working in Bahrain and car is sitting idle at one place for six months.

Last edited:
TThis is my main suspect as Im working in Bahrain and car is sitting idle at one place for six months.
Then the culprit is your Tyre, Please check and change the tyres as soon as possible. I got this hint due to one of my cousins car had MRF tyre and had been parked for long time. When he started using this Noise problem occurred and we checked with trusted mechanic. He checked bearings and advised that the tyre had become very hard and due to friction with road its making noise . We tested changing tyre with other car and there was no noise. At last changed all 4 tyres to new apollo and problem gone.

Hope you find the resolution soon [:)]

Regards
Gireesh Raj

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #15
Then the culprit is your Tyre, Please check and change the tyres as soon as possible. I got this hint due to one of my cousins car had MRF tyre and had been parked for long time. When he started using this Noise problem occurred and we checked with trusted mechanic. He checked bearings and advised that the tyre had become very hard and due to friction with road its making noise . We tested changing tyre with other car and there was no noise. At last changed all 4 tyres to new apollo and problem gone.

Hope you find the resolution soon [:)]

Regards
Gireesh Raj
Hope this will solve problem.

Tyre has still left some life in it. As a temporary solution will this work?

1. Removing tyre from the rim and mount tyre in reverse. I.e. iouter portion will come inside.

2. Wheel balancing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom