Gearbox Replacement of Hyundai Grand i10 1.2 Asta

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends,
I am Sumit Vashishtha from Bhopal madhya pradesh. I purchased a grand i10 asta 1.2 for my wife on 17th September 2015 on auspicious occasion of ganesh chaturthi.
I am true lover of swift and swift dzire and extremely satisfied owner of new swift dzire zdi and munched 97k kms in just 4.5 years without a single break down.

It was a tough decision for me to Choose a hyundai car after being satisfied with the brand you carry from last 4 years. I also had a santro munched 86K kms . I virtually exchanged the santro with grand i10. I used the word virtually for some hidden technical sales reasons.
The car is full with features and had heavy discounts compared to swift. Earlier I finalised swift vxi for my wife but due to heavy discount and feature packed offering of grand i10 I finalised the grand i10 asta 1.2 and saved 60k compared to swift vxi.

Days passed, some niggles as usual with car like thud sound from suspensions due to softer setup, extra light steeringand, low mileage around 11-12 kmpl, tiny set of tires, underbody care and handle with care kind of product, I along with my wife living happily with grand i10. This car is used my wife for daily office commute. After first service and opting freebies Teflon, antitrust etc we got car back. It was 4600 kms when I hear the hissing sound for first time. Gradually the sound is increasing day by day. Its like humming and hissing noise from the car ad came on smooth surfaces.
I visited the car dealership from where I bought the car and they said it's normal in all cars. I didn't believe on words and I visit some other dealership and they checked wheel bearings thoroughly, and then checked all tires even with replacing with other car. The noise still persists.

The next step was to check gearbox.
They drained gear oil and for the surprise it came out with emry and the quantity is just half. Everybody was surprised. We found the culprit. The gearbox is making noise.

Now it's my turn to react. The other dealership said it was a fault of the dealership from where u bought the car. It was a mistake of pdi. And so many bla bla words. I avoid all this and connect direct to hyundai customer care and lodge a complaint against everything. I honestly describe everything happened to me and my car to customer care of Hyundai by mail and by phone.
Hyundai has quick response against my mails and complaints.

I was continuously in touch with RM . The dealership advised me to left the car to them for examining the gearbox after opening it but I refused. I sticker on replacement of gearbox.
They tool trial of so many grand i10 to convince me the noise levels. Actually the noise cannot be judge easily. It is comingonly on smooth roads. On pot holes the suspension noise leads and can suppressed the gearbox noise.

Finally I got a new gearbox after my one month struggle and 15 days wait after order of gear box. Completely under warranty.

Lets hoping for the best performance of my car and it is under observation.

IMG_20160809_000723585.jpg

IMG_20160808_231737844.jpg

IMG_20160809_000745216.jpg

IMG_20160809_000758257.jpg

IMG_20160809_000810436.jpg

IMG_20160809_000826963.jpg

IMG_20160809_000839571.jpg

IMG_20160809_000859851.jpg

Attachments

That's great that you got your Warranty claim in a systematic & smooth manner.
What's the change after the gearbox replacement & how it feels, in terms of performance & drive noise ?

Thread Starter #3
That's great that you got your Warranty claim in a systematic & smooth manner.
What's the change after the gearbox replacement & how it feels, in terms of performance & drive noise ?
Well it was not that much smooth, initially they triedhard to convince me for reopening of gearbox and checking problematic part of gearbox. They said the process is lengthy and every part of gearbox must be dismantled and thoroughly checked as per recommendation.

I simply refused to go with this process.
A gearbox is a complex setup and it wont perform well even after manually changed synchronizer. My dzire synchronizer changed under warranty at 86K kms on modi and from that day the gear shift is not same as before. So I believe, dismantling and repair will ruin the actual gear characteristic. I continuously insist them for replacement of transmission.
The hissing humming noise was so low and it is distinguished only on smooth surfaces.
So a car enthusiast can only determine it and I am sure Most of people won't find any culprit with such kind of noise.

Some initial observations were,
Whirring, whinNing , hissing, humming noise.
Ghar ghar ghar while slowing down and stop lights, drop in mileage, occasional gear sticking etc.

After replacement of gear box, the car is running smooth, the gearshift is alike a brand new car. Engaged with smooth tak tak, workshop manager said that the ear shift will become more smooth after couple of days. Some sort of "rama" in hindi.

The strange thing is , the gear box came with seal of oil ok but it was empty from inside so I have to pay rs 984 for gear oil.

This seal was found on gearbox
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

This is definitely a first for Hyundai. It is a blot on their quality record. Good that you persisted for replacement of gearbox. A tinkered gearbox would have given more problems down the line

Thread Starter #5
I just came back from a 50km drive and taken some observations.
1. Slight humming sound is coming on smooth roads. Doesn't seems tire noise. Its like hissing sound. I tried it on rolling also, engine off and traffic less road. The ghere ghere and smooth sound is coming from rear side or some unkNown source.

2. Gearshift is some what tight and shift with mild click sound. Service guy explained that it will smooth after one to two days.

Does anyone owning grand i10 or event observe the same rolling kind of noise. Make sure it is not tire noise?

Does your car perform slight gher gher while turning slowly on squares?

The comman parameter is smooth roads.

Slight humming noise is normal in present generation gear boxes, Dzire 2015 model and wagon R models are known for this problem. Some times electronic throttle cum air filter mechanism make that noise because air filter assembly used to have small holes to reduce humming and buzzing noise. Sometimes it can be heard, that noise can be easily misunderstood as gear box noise. Even if light humming noise is from gear box it is very common in present generation cars. Gear boxes are very rugged and longevity is more than engine.

-suryaputhra

Last edited:
It is happening with me as well..in your case it was gearbox but in my case it is engine. My grand i10 is just 6 months old and engine is misfiring due to back compression.
Dealer was insisting on conducting a repair job. I mailed to Hyundai, got a late reply but in my favour of half engine replacement in warranty.
As of now order of half engine has been placed, expecting it to arrive in week.
There are like more than 10 grand and xcent in my office. Some of them are 2 year young, but none have countered issues like mine. It is a manufacturing fault so this substandard quality does not comes in bulk, but like two or three vehicles like mine and yours. Atleast Hyundai responded in positive way.

Thread Starter #8
It is happening with me as well..in your case it was gearbox but in my case it is engine. My grand i10 is just 6 months old and engine is misfiring due to back compression.
Dealer was insisting on conducting a repair job. I mailed to Hyundai, got a late reply but in my favour of half engine replacement in warranty.
As of now order of half engine has been placed, expecting it to arrive in week.
There are like more than 10 grand and xcent in my office. Some of them are 2 year young, but none have countered issues like mine. It is a manufacturing fault so this substandard quality does not comes in bulk, but like two or three vehicles like mine and yours. Atleast Hyundai responded in positive way.
Can you please elaborate the half engine replacement?

Top Bottom