KTM Duke 200 Speed Issues

Thread Starter #1
Dear members,

I am facing the issue of not reaching the 136 kmph mark in 6th gear on my duke 200. The limiter goes to 10500 but the speed stay only at 132. there is an approximate top speed loss of about 4 kmph in each gear.

1st gear - 45
2nd - 65
3rd - 82
4th - 102
5th - 116
6th - 132

can someone suggest what can I check?

thanks and regards
Satyam

Thread Starter #2
can anyone help?
Bike's due for service in 500 kms and I'd love to have some opinion or suggestions...

regards
Satyam

the speed as per company may not be attainable due to various factors like air resistance, body weight. Naked bikes have a tough time hitting top speeds compared to faired ones.

I owned a duke 390. the maximum top speed was 158 on speedo. i weigh 76 kgs. my 62kg freinds hit a top speed of 166 on the same bike.

Thread Starter #4
the speed as per company may not be attainable due to various factors like air resistance, body weight. Naked bikes have a tough time hitting top speeds compared to faired ones.

I owned a duke 390. the maximum top speed was 158 on speedo. i weigh 76 kgs. my 62kg freinds hit a top speed of 166 on the same bike.
I'd agree with that but the fact is that i was achieving those figures earlier ie 136~137 kmph....speed degradation is a recent development.

Things that have changed before speed issue:
1. front wheel bearing
can that cause a problem?

To the best of my knowledge, it should not be a issue. If the bike is new say below 1500kms, allow the engine to have more kms and then rip it. I know it's hard to control.

I'd agree with that but the fact is that i was achieving those figures earlier ie 136~137 kmph....speed degradation is a recent development.

Things that have changed before speed issue:
1. front wheel bearing
can that cause a problem?
I am not trying to offend anyone here by this post

I am just amazed to know, why are you people even trying this high speed in a bike [frustration][shock] , I will not drive at this speed even in my car.

Request you all to stick to the legal speed limits [rules] on highway or any roads for our and other people safety

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
I am not trying to offend anyone here by this post

I am just amazed to know, why are you people even trying this high speed in a bike [frustration][shock] , I will not drive at this speed even in my car.

Request you all to stick to the legal speed limits [rules] on highway or any roads for our and other people safety
Dear Pradeep,
I take road laws very seriously and i assure you that i try this in an area that is sparsely populated with good roads and all testing is @ night. Please understand that I am neither justifying it nor encouraging anyone to try it on road. The screw in my ankle is a grim reminder of how fast things can go wrong even when you may not be at fault.

But my bike has done about 52000 kms in the last 3 years and i've never had the problem. granted, i hardly get to take it to top speed, but just the knowledge that it is somehow struggling bugs me.

I hope you understand what i am trying to say. everyone keeps telling me that i should sell my bike but frankly i am so attached to it that I just can't.

thanks for your time in answering my question and sincere regards for your advice.

Uneven Tyre wear/tyre pressure .
Clogged air filter
carburetor clogged
Old Gear oil
Old Engine oil

All the above factors effects the performance of your ktm.

Last edited:
Dear members,

I am facing the issue of not reaching the 136 kmph mark in 6th gear on my duke 200. The limiter goes to 10500 but the speed stay only at 132. there is an approximate top speed loss of about 4 kmph in each gear.

1st gear - 45
2nd - 65
3rd - 82
4th - 102
5th - 116
6th - 132

can someone suggest what can I check?

thanks and regards
Satyam
Even my Duke 200 top speed decreased, can you tell me what steps you took to make it 137 back again

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom