Tata Tiago: Technical Issues & Solutions

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAIgers,
With increasing Tiago owners on our forum enjoying their new rides, I believe this is right time to start a technical thread for owners to discuss and address any niggles/problems faced with the car.
To begin with, I have listed below some issues from my own experience. Please continue to share your experiences.

• Gear/Dashboard rattling:
    • Solution: Reduced by after sales service team. Don't know how they did.
  • Reverse gear gets stuck half way:
    • No official solution yet. I release clutch a little bit to let the gear stick slot in completely.
  • Mud/muck accumulates in fuel lid area:
    • Solution: Some dealers are patching this area with a sealant. I haven't applied this on my car yet.
  • Harman software bug - Sporadically, the system refuses to send audio to speakers even though display shows song playing or on-going call:
    • No solution yet.

• Reverse gear gets stuck half way:
    • No official solution yet. I release clutch a little bit to let the gear stick slot in completely.
  • Harman software bug - Sporadically, the system refuses to send audio to speakers even though display shows song playing or on-going call:
    • No solution yet.
As far as the shifter issue goes, you may want to get your clutch cable and cable bushings checked/adjusted. That's typically caused this problem for me, albeit in different vehicles.

For the sound issue, are you sure it's not simply a loose cable/connection?

Thread Starter #3
As far as the shifter issue goes, you may want to get your clutch cable and cable bushings checked/adjusted. That's typically caused this problem for me, albeit in different vehicles.
Hi Viru,
That's what service guys did during first service, still no luck. I know around 10+ Tiago owners with this issue (from WhatsApp owners group).

For the sound issue, are you sure it's not simply a loose cable/connection?
This too is a very sporadic issue reported by lots of owners. If it's loose contact, then turning the engine OFF/ON would not resolve it IMO.

That's very strange, but then again teething problems are to be expected with newly released vehicles.

I hope you can find a solution soon!

Hi Everyone here, i was going through the comments you all have posted in this forum and getting confused if i can go ahead and buy Tiago (P). Please suggest.

Thread Starter #6
Hi Everyone here, i was going through the comments you all have posted in this forum and getting confused if i can go ahead and buy Tiago (P). Please suggest.
Manish,
If these issues are deal breakers for you, then please wait for few more months until initial niggles are sorted out in production process.

Hi Prabhagar,

I have been reading your post regarding ownership review of your Car Tiago. Your Car looks cool in that colour. Many more Happy miles ahead [:)].

Being myself an INDICA owner for past 10 years and never found any Major issues and it had already completed 175000 Kms. Still running. I can only say that TATA cars are VFM.

I have booked Tiago on June 2nd from URS Cars in Mysore. Still waiting for the Delivery.

Regards
Gireesh Raj

I have bought Tiago last friday and have been facing Dashboard rattle as of now. Gear doesn't vibrate though, mine is diesel version. So far so good, this is an impressive little car.
Waw! Congrats mate! But I'm surprised to see you not sharing pics and opening an ownership thread.
Anyway I wish you hapy mile munching with your pocket diesel.

Waw! Congrats mate! But I'm surprised to see you not sharing pics and opening an ownership thread.
Anyway I wish you hapy mile munching with your pocket diesel.
Thanks a ton DJ Bro[:D], you're extensive hard work on Tiago thread helped me to get one this early (Waited just 4 days[clap]) & this is our 3rd Tata car after 18 years. Lets hope it will be niggle free, unlike other 2 cars we had.

Ownership Thread will be out soon, i have been busy since Saturday & Yesterday evening i got my hands on Tiago. Will definitely post pictures of the car soon.

Thread Starter #11
Hi Prabhagar,
I have been reading your post regarding ownership review of your Car Tiago. Your Car looks cool in that colour. Many more Happy miles ahead [:)].
I have booked Tiago on June 2nd from URS Cars in Mysore. Still waiting for the Delivery.
Thanks Gireesh and congrats on your Tiago booking!

Thanks a ton DJ Bro[:D], you're extensive hard work on Tiago thread helped me to get one this early (Waited just 4 days[clap]) & this is our 3rd Tata car after 18 years. Lets hope it will be niggle free, unlike other 2 cars we had.

Ownership Thread will be out soon, i have been busy since Saturday & Yesterday evening i got my hands on Tiago. Will definitely post pictures of the car soon.
Congrats Nishant! Looking forward to your ownership review soon.

• No solution yet.
Turns out a new version of Harman software is out, see below screenshot from an owner in WhatsApp group. Can any new owner here
confirm this version please?

New Version:
IMG-20160808-WA0007.jpg

Old Version (my car):
IMAG0783.jpg

Problem in Tiago XZ Petrol: Sound while shifting gears

I am pretty new to this forum. I have a problem in my Tiago. Hoping for a solution here.
I had purchased Tiago XZ petrol a couple of months back. Yesterday I noticed, while ignition off, if I shift gear I am getting a noise, it is horrible if the gear shift is from reverse to neutral. The rest gear shifting is normal while in side the cabin but it is felt if we stand out of car.
Please let me know if it is normal or it shouldn't happen. I don't know because I am new to 4 wheels.
Thank you.

Re: Problem in Tiago XZ Petrol: Sound while shifting gears

I am pretty new to this forum. I have a problem in my Tiago. Hoping for a solution here.
I had purchased Tiago XZ petrol a couple of months back. Yesterday I noticed, while ignition off, if I shift gear I am getting a noise, it is horrible if the gear shift is from reverse to neutral. The rest gear shifting is normal while in side the cabin but it is felt if we stand out of car.
Please let me know if it is normal or it shouldn't happen. I don't know because I am new to 4 wheels.
Thank you.
Full Clutch Press?

Thread Starter #14
Re: Problem in Tiago XZ Petrol: Sound while shifting gears

Thank you.
I believe there is an issue with your car, please get it checked by TASS. There should not be any loud noise when you shift gears especially when engine is OFF. However, it is normal for audible clicks and clunks outside the car. I hear it everytime when my windows are rolled down at very slow speeds.

Thread Starter #15
This is an extract from Facebook Tiago Owners Club. Cross sharing here so new car owners can benefit out of it:

Source: Facebook Tiago Owners Club
Credits: Arun Pandian
Hi all... I am a Tiago XZ Diesel owner with ODO 9000km in 2.5months... Most of the 9k km was NH 4 lane roads. I have written 1 or 2 reviews before saying abt my personal experience with Tiago.
Now i would like to write some tips for owners as I have recently noted lot of owners coming up with varied questions n issues. These are my personal opinion so ppl forgive me if anything is wrong. And pls add ur tips as mine covers only basic tips which i came across in this group n personal experience...

1. Distance to empty in the panel shows REFUEL when DTE comes around or less than 25kmpl. This is basically calculated on the last average so ur average will affect this figure. At any case when REFUEL pops up in DTE , U have to run to the fuel station straight. Probably u have one litre in ur tank.
2. Headlights HIGH beam can be adjusted. I learned this from this group. To adjust HIGH beam , lights shud be kept in low beam and adjusted then change to HIGH beam.
3. Using apps like whatsapp , jio voice restarts the music system often so we cannot talk using those apps thru the Harman system.
4. Fog lamp switch works only when headlights or parking lights are switched on.
5. Windows can be rolled up even after we switch off ignition.
6. There is a mode called 1hour mode by which even after the key is removed from slot , music system can be used for 1 hr. So avoid accidental switching on before u come out of the car which might affect battery. But i think 1 hr music system will not drain the battery completely thats y it is designed so.
7. There is roughly 2 to3km difference between actual mileage n MID . Perosnally my car has 1km difference.
8. Keeping air intake externally affects the AC a lot. So ppl who have AC issues try to keep it in internal circulation. I never had to go more than 2 in my AC ever. No 2 only during sunny TN weather. At night i have to adjust temperature knob when in NO1 .. Fantastico AC...
9. Ppl who are not used to ABS brakes , pls train ur legs for the pulsating feeling in pedal when we apply heavy brakes. My dad wasnt used to it n in a sudden brake he felt the pulsating n complained me thinking it as a fault. So educate the ppl in ur family regarding the ABS pulsating.
10. The design in rear glass is the defogger. So do not to peel it... Switch for the same is near fog lamp.
11. Wiper functions are quite easy but learn to use rear n front wiper wash n speed adjustments. Speed can be adjusted only in number 1. Next level 2 n 3 have standard speeds which cannot be adjusted.
12. Reverse parking sensors timings can be adjusted but not the distance. And we can set if the music can be muted or mixed with beep sound but less volume.
13. When we lock using the key and horn gives a short burst means some door or boot is not locked properly. This shud warn us to chk the doors again.
14. When we leave the key in the slot n try to leave the car , when we open the door there will be continuous beep sound from panel.
15. Even after taking out the key if the beep sound comes then chk headlights. If those are switched on n we leave the car , this alarm comes .

SMALL TIPS for new owners... Old owners pls bear with me or correct me.

1. Always check air in all wheels before u enter the car even if u had parked for just 10 or 15 mins in a mall or somewher. There are fun loving idiots who punture the car for the sake of fun.
2. Chk the air in spare tyre once in 2 weeks or atleast a month.
3. Make sure there are waste cloths in ur boot or doors.
4. Pls carry one or two 2 litre use n throw bottles with water kept in boot at all times. Comes handy when u have to wash ur hands after a tyre change , bonnet opening , or someone vomits in ur car. Another important use is to carry fuel incase we run dry...
5. Very important... Carry a gunny bag or sack or a big thick cloth to lie down or to keep ur knees on the ground while changing tyres or looking for faults below.
6. Carry the car's manual at all times. There is a section which helps us with emergency breakdowns.
7. Try to learn changing tyres. I have noticed my frnds who bought car recently were unable to even position the jack n they wait for mechanics. Remember that middle of the night in a deserted highway we wont find a mechanic. When u are bored at home on a weekend , try changing a tyre just for learning purpose.
8. All cars are nowadays based fully on electronic controls so be aware of fuse system n location of fuse box. Our tiago manual clearly says the fuses system so that we can change fuse in emergency.
There are 3 boxes out of which 2 are main. 1st is on top of the battery , 2nd is nearby the battery n the 3rd is below steering right side. 2nd 3rd contains most fuses. Manual clearly explains how to change fuses.
First thing is to check fuses when u have these problems Car not starting , immobilizer light is on, headlights not working , wipers not working , defogger not working , music system is dead , horn not working , ac not working and the list goes on... chk manual...
Fuses are categoriesed with amp so exchange the fuse with same amp if u dont have spare fuses. As per manual changing fuses is considered as a step that can be done by driver thats y they have clearly given instructions in manual for changing fuses. Anyone with basic English can understand it well. Its not a rocket science.
9. This is very important. As most systems are controlled by sensors n electronic circuits , we might encounter glitches easily . The best remedy is like restarting our computer when it hangs... the problem is we dont have a restart button. But pls follow the below idea when u have problems like car not starting , immobilizer issue , reverse sensors glitches n other issues which u feel is involved with electronic problem.
Remove both battery terminal wires , using a iron rod (jack rod , spanner , towing rod ) earth it. Meaning the wires shud be touched to a very large metal piece (cars body ) or touch earth. Best option is to stand in the road barefooted n touch the wires with our hands one by one. Dont be afraid. It is just a battery. We will not get shock. Wait for 10 to 15 mins n then reconnect. This shud restart any electronic system so probably will resolve the issue temporarily.
To remove battery wire we need number 10 spanner which is given along with our tool kit.
10. Another issue which happened in a polo to me n local mechanic advised that it may happen to any car with electronic keys. When we start the car , if we press the lock/unlock/light switch by mistake , there is a chance that the system gets short circuited so it shuts down the entire car leading to total blackout. The above said battery technique will resolve this problem . I had a first hand experience of this issue with a polo.
11. Learn to start the car by pushing. This comes handy incase there is some issue with battery power or the starting mechanism. Trying this with our friends on a weekend would be fun as well as lesson learnt. Simply engage first or second gear , press the clutch and ask ppl to push n release the clutch as we have some momentum. When car starts press clutch n brake to stop. This can be done in reverse gear also.
12. Always carry a small tool box with some spanners n pliers. Atleast carry 2 adjustable wrench of different sizes.
13. A torch light or a lantern that can be connected to 12v socket is a must.
I hope the above would be helpful to atleast one person. I wrote the second part because i found my close frnds who bought car in last 1 yr were not even aware wher the jack is or how to change tyre. I felt irritated at them first for the lack of these basic knowledge but later understood that its not their mistake. They were never told by Someone to learn basics. So i felt i shud let other new owners in this group to think abt these issues.
Ppl pls correct me if am wrong n add ur tips for me as well...

Top Bottom