Maruti Alto Clutch System Overhaul Query

Thread Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I have a Maruti Alto LXI XFUN 2007 version with 70K on the odo, driven solely by me, 70% in city traffic and the rest on highways, with mostly on the hills. I drive "copy-book" style with no foot on the clutch.

Of late, I have been noticing the clutch pedal is hard and quite fatiguing, and maybe a drop in my FE as well. Since the last 2 years, on my annual visit to MASS, I have been recommended a clutch system overhaul/replacement with a whole day's work costing around INR 6K.

I am keen to understand more of the issue and if I should seriously contemplate going with the MASS suggestion.

70k kms is too earlier for a clucth failure. suggest you to try adjusting the clucth cable. it's a simple thing. clutch cable is connected via nut it can be located near the front left wheel. clockwise nut rotation tightens and anticlockwise loosens.

replace the clucth only if you the engine raises but the car does not pick up speed. clucth assembly cost about 3k and 1k for labour.

If I recall, this is the same Alto, which ran 1 Lac Km in a controlled environment with out stopping. Just thinking, then why there are issues with Alto clutch before 1 Lac kilometers? Because of our driving style? Because of traffic? Or surprisingly because of the famed MASS?
You must take another mechanic's opinion on this. I do not believe in MASS. Sorry to be rude. The entire clutch may not need a change. Changing of pressure plate will do the job.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks Generalmax. I am not having any MAJOR problems as such, however, you may consider this more of a preventive maintenance. I have spoken with multiple MASSes and they suggest the following: replace the clutch plate, the pressure plate, the clutch release bearing, the clutch wire and the flywheel (!). "Sir half engine open ho raha hai, sab ek sath hi kar do to avoid labor costs again". Waah! I am okay with upto 5K costs, but they are quoting 7K+ which I am not too happy about, plus they do not do selective changes, so might have to opt for a local mechanic, my first in 10 years of ownership, hence very skeptical! You suggested the Pressure plate only, am thinking of adding the clutch plate and the cable as well, do please suggest.

If I recall, this is the same Alto, which ran 1 Lac Km in a controlled environment with out stopping. Just thinking, then why there are issues with Alto clutch before 1 Lac kilometers? Because of our driving style? Because of traffic? Or surprisingly because of the famed MASS?
You must take another mechanic's opinion on this. I do not believe in MASS. Sorry to be rude. The entire clutch may not need a change. Changing of pressure plate will do the job.
Thanks Rakesh, twice in 10 years, eh! Could you also please specify your ride details - driver? City B2B or hills? Which all components you replaced, when, from where and for how much?
Nothing earlier in the case of Alto, I changed twice in 10 years. Just change those and enjoy your ride.
Thanks Pravin, but it is more of a preventive change. I frequent the hills and plan to do so even more in the time to come, and for some reason, the pickup was very sluggish this time around.
70k kms is too earlier for a clucth failure. suggest you to try adjusting the clucth cable. it's a simple thing. clutch cable is connected via nut it can be located near the front left wheel. clockwise nut rotation tightens and anticlockwise loosens.

replace the clucth only if you the engine raises but the car does not pick up speed. clucth assembly cost about 3k and 1k for labour.

Yes,with the pressure plate , change of clutch plate and cable is a good idea. There is no need to change the flywheel, but while changing gears, for some time the smoothness may not be there.In your case, the labor cost is higher or the parts?
Got a link, just check Here

Last edited:

Top Bottom