Signs of a Failing AC Compressor

Thread Starter #1
My 08 safari ac compressor gave up today. so here i am putting the signs that i have faced in last few months before the air con gave up so that it may be useful for other members

frost: Air con used to throw out frost after certain time of usage with no cooling. the only way out is to change to reciruclation mode. switching off and on the air con will not help

Roof AC sound: The roof AC would make a wierd sound before starting to cool.

the air con itself would make a Whoosh sound before the cool air starts to blow.

rummbling sound some where near the compressor or air ac belt when the blower speed in increased

interminent cooling: at the same blower speed,cooling would fluctate.

AC cutting off and on below 2000 rpm.

Day time weather drasitcally reduces cooling.

a broken belt kind of sound from the compressor/ AC belt when the car is turned on without AC being switched on.

The AC bearing outer surface becomes pale red and bearing thread has white markings.

At last, AC belt cuts due to jamped compressor clucth and bearing.

If a new belt is fitted, the battery dies making a click sound because it does not pull the jammed ac clutch.

AC compressor is the most expensive part atleast for safari with the OEM subros 1773cc compressor at a cost of 18700 at TML show rooms and 17900 outside.

the other option is a Delphi AC compressor for 15000.

the some taiwan make compressor for 9000. this company produces compressor for most car sold in india.

Thread Starter #3
i strongly recommended you to visit a good car ac repair shop as soon as you can
started to look out for the compressor. for the momenet the car is being run without AC belt, i have posted the signs so that if some of our members face some issue with air con it will be easy for them to get an idea.

Top Bottom