Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi: Restoration of Long-Term Companion

Thread Starter #1
I have decided to start taking baby steps towards my dream of restoring Automobiles. I have had a loyal companion for the past 10 yrs ( a bajaj Pulsar 150 dtsi ) the first lot of Pulsars with the big headlamp and alloy wheels.

The bike had been a true companion all these while and had never once let me down. Now is the time I realized that the bike needs some restoration. I have driven it for 80K odd km and still can feel that there is some life left in it.I am planning the restoration in phases as below.

Phase 1
1) Tyres : ( MRF - 4000/- for pair )
2) Starter issue : changed the battery last month and recently the bike has started giving some cranky sound every time i push the button to wake her up.
3) Silencer : planning to replace the stock exhaust. has got a lot of rust and i believe something has broken from the inside ( giving continuous irritating sound )
4) General servicing of the bike

Phase 2

This phase will primarily be focused around the aesthetic upgrades. Below listed things are what I am planning to do.

1) Bike Painting ( Please suggest a good painter in Bangalore ) mine is black.
2) New decals for the Fuel tank like the latest gen Pulsars
3) Side stand has become too angled, need to check if that can be fixed or requires replacement.
4) Also thinking of adding the extended fuel tank clamps ( like the latest gen Pulsars )

Will share the pics in a day or 2 of the current situation of the bike.[:)]

Suggestions are welcome !

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Restoration of Long term companion - Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi

The plans appear good.
Please go ahed.

replace seat cover if discoloured or torn.

Re: Restoration of Long term companion - Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi

Looking forward to the restoration. Are you also looking to restore engine , since it's run 80k km.

Thread Starter #4
No Plans for touching the engine, like I have mentioned that the bike has some life left in it and have been undergoing regular servicing. That said would definitely look at the broken pieces that needs a fix.

Going by your points it will be also good to restore the engine. 84K Km is a good time to pull down the engine parts and put it back.
For the painting, I would suggest a full matt black including the engine.
Which part of Bangalore are you from, according to that I would suggest a painter.

3) Silencer : planning to replace the stock exhaust. has got a lot of rust and i believe something has broken from the inside ( giving continuous irritating sound )
A colleague of mine had a similar problem in his P150 DTSi. Due to rust, the flute inside lost its support from the silencer housing and the wall had also developed multiple pores. Not worthwhile welding it. It was the second silencer. So, in the look out for a long term solution he went for a complete P220 exhaust system.
1. The exhaust fits perfectly in the engine side.
2. The rear mounting bracket needs some modification (See picture. You may introduce your own idea for better looks). This bracket is just bolted to the muffler, so a new bracket with chrome plating would make it look good in 1 piece.
3. The stand stop rubber needs a new supporting extension. The picture can explain better.
With a welder adjacent to the mechanic's shop, this swapping was done under 30 minutes. There isn't any noticeable difference in the performance or fuel economy. He commutes mostly in the city roads and doesn't really keep a watch on its fuel economy.
IMG_20160514_143744.jpg IMG_20160514_143755.jpg
IMG_20160514_143808.jpg IMG_20160514_143820.jpg

1) Tyres : ( MRF - 4000/- for pair )
Go for tubeless now

1) Bike Painting ( Please suggest a good painter in Bangalore ) mine is black.
3) Side stand has become too angled, need to check if that can be fixed or requires replacement.
4) Also thinking of adding the extended fuel tank clamps ( like the latest gen Pulsars )
1. If you want black again, any painter can do a good job on black.
3. Just replace the side stand
4. You need to either weld the support inserts for the tank flaps or else swap with a UG4 tank.
It is just my personal feeling, the tank with tank flap wouldn't gel with the old style tail light. Would go good with the LED tail light.
If you can stretch your budget by another 5000 Rs, you can have BCM, switches and all other features of full DC setup like the current gen UG4.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions and the pics. My bike just got back from a quick servicing and a wash. Attached pics for your reference. This is how the bike looks as of today.

Attachments

Thread Starter #8
Going by your points it will be also good to restore the engine. 84K Km is a good time to pull down the engine parts and put it back.
For the painting, I would suggest a full matt black including the engine.
Which part of Bangalore are you from, according to that I would suggest a painter.
Hi generalmax, I stay near Kalyan Nagar, close to Hebbal. I spoke to a mechanic for the paint job and he was quoting 7-8 K for balck paint job ( panels only ) and he also suggested that despite going for a paint job for 7-8K, I should stretch my budget for another 1-2 K and get all the new parts.

Hi generalmax, I stay near Kalyan Nagar, close to Hebbal. I spoke to a mechanic for the paint job and he was quoting 7-8 K for balck paint job ( panels only ) and he also suggested that despite going for a paint job for 7-8K, I should stretch my budget for another 1-2 K and get all the new parts.
Hi Archie, What your mechanic suggested makes all the sense. Just get a new tank, headlamp visor, side & rear panels. Paint only the chassis frame and alloy wheel. Should work out around 10k.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.
My friend is planning to buy a second hand Pulsar from his colleague.
This is a 2008 make model. I happened to see and ride the bike within the office campus. A few points
- the bike has usual scratches all around the bike. It has been dropped multiple times (seeing the deep scratches)
- the tail light is completely broken. Surprisingly, the rear mud guard is intact and the panels are also good.
- there is rust on the metal panel over the exhaust
- there is rust on the hub connecting the front disc to the wheel

This colleague also said that he had changed the clutch (or was it just clutch plates? not sure. But costed around 4k), batteries and the rear suspension. The total cost came to around 10k

The bike rides OK for a 8 year old bike. But this is the first time I am hearing the rear suspension being changed.

Can you please throw some light on this part (rear suspension) change and what should my friend quote for buying this bike

This is a 2008 make model.
This colleague also said that he had changed the clutch (or was it just clutch plates? not sure. But costed around 4k), batteries and the rear suspension. The total cost came to around 10k
Few missing information
- Ownership history (No. of owners)
- Insurance status
- Mileage
- Tire condition

Can you please throw some light on this part (rear suspension) change and what should my friend quote for buying this bike
Irrespective of age, rear shock absorber life / performance depends on the road condition and mileage.
If everything is OK, don't pay more than 13k.

FYI, got a 2007 Pulsar 150, single owner, fancy number, seized engine for 6k, with valid insurance, 2 tires with over 50% life, very minimal scratches.

@Mr.Boss
Single Owner
Insurance paid till June 2017
Tire Condition is below average - the bike has run for 28k km. The wear was surprising for me
The owner said he drove the bike only from his home to office and I know the road, it is quite good

Tire Condition is below average - the bike has run for 28k km. The wear was surprising for me
Forget it. There will be too many speculations, excessive loading, manufacturing defect or as simple as replaced before the part actually failed. What ever it is, part is replaced and working fine right now is more than enough.

Set of tires will cost another 4k.

Top Bottom