New Honda City 1.5 I-Dtec Diesel Engine Sound & NVH Levels

bhvm

Honoured Member
I didn't even like VW Diesels NVH.
The engine sounds coarse at idle. Reminds me of certain tractor working far away.

I didn't even like VW Diesels NVH.
The engine sounds coarse at idle. Reminds me of certain tractor working far away.
But lemme tell you, when you drive it hard, it has a really nice growl to it and the tractor like character completely vanishes. Also the acceleration does bring again to your face.[:D]

bhvm

Honoured Member
But lemme tell you, when you drive it hard, it has a really nice growl to it and the tractor like character completely vanishes. Also the acceleration does bring again to your face.[:D]
Yes, VW is one of the brands that enthusiasts like me should look for. Esp the Polo GT.
I saw my neighbour reverse his VW vento and suddenly I said to him "How is this tractor like sound coming!?" I was never expecting such harsh NVH from a big/premium brand like VW.

Yes, VW is one of the brands that enthusiasts like me should look for. Esp the Polo GT.
I saw my neighbour reverse his VW vento and suddenly I said to him "How is this tractor like sound coming!?" I was never expecting such harsh NVH from a big/premium brand like VW.
One of the factor which stopped me from getting Vento! Even petrol sounds little coarse and unrefined. In comparison, my Xcent is a lot more refined.

I failed to understand what is stopping them from doing something about it? Or is it same in Europe too?

Honda City diesel is pretty refined, its somewhere between the Tractor and a Petrol Engine. I have driven the City & Mobilio and have to say, the NVH isn't deal breaking. Verna has refined engine but you can hear that clatter inside, same with i20 which i have. I can clearly hear the engine sound at low revs/ low speeds and it only vanishes once i reach good speed in higher gear (5/6). Same case with my Rapid too. So blaming Honda for just the diesel clatter isn't good.

Barring the clatter, this engine is a wonderful piece of engineering. It is light weight, very drivable and very fuel efficient. If Honda provides twin turbos, it will be more powerful at the top end also. Overall i would rate this the 2nd best Engine after Ford's1.5 TDCI.

It's almost sounding like tractor but bit manageable than VW engines.Even I also feel VW engines are bit noisy but I didn't feel like that because the car mostly runs on AC and runs with music system with high volume mostly.At high speeds,I don't feel my VW engine is noisy and it will be noisy on idles.

Btw,I didn't feel any tractor sound in my friends Honda City Diesel and that too VX version.But,it's 2014 version and I heard that Honda has improved its nvh levels on 2015-16 models.

Honda City diesel is pretty refined, its somewhere between the Tractor and a Petrol Engine. I have driven the City & Mobilio and have to say, the NVH isn't deal breaking. Verna has refined engine but you can hear that clatter inside, same with i20 which i have. I can clearly hear the engine sound at low revs/ low speeds and it only vanishes once i reach good speed in higher gear (5/6). Same case with my Rapid too. So blaming Honda for just the diesel clatter isn't good.

Barring the clatter, this engine is a wonderful piece of engineering. It is light weight, very drivable and very fuel efficient. If Honda provides twin turbos, it will be more powerful at the top end also. Overall i would rate this the 2nd best Engine after Ford's1.5 TDCI.
As a engine, Honda may fare well, but rating it next to Ford? That's ambitious!

I'd rate it next to Hyundai's. Yes, you feel the clatter, but it is manageable and not like VW!

A quick mention of the Renault DCI engine (the other national engine)- a bit of a clatter during startup, but pretty refined on the move on my Duster. And it is quite torquey too! In fact, on the NVH and refinement, I would rate it better than my earlier Dzire MJD.

No i didn't rate it based on Refinement but based on Drivability aspect. I felt Ford's have the most punchy engine followed by Honda. Next up is 1.5 DCI which is equally good but more so on highways, in cities i felt this engine to be a bit laggy, but on highways its very good. Hyundai CRDI engines are good, but they don't offer that much performance as other ones. I have i20 Diesel and there is a Verna Diesel in my family, this engine doesn't excite me but its good though hence rated it below Ford & Honda.

Regarding remaining 2 engines (MJD & TDI), the Multijet feels good on small cars (Swift, Baleno) and the VWs 1.5/1.6 TDI is very good on highways, but in city drives there is slight lag but the torque helps in keeping that low. But the noisy engine and vibrating clutch takes away the fun factor.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddies,

Since this video is made from inside the cabin too, I would say, the in-cabin NVH levels and outside nvh levels of the engine differ. The in-cabin insulation at many places often doesn't give the clear picture of the NVH. If one has to judge the NVH of I-dtec, open the hood and tell the driver to accelerate or even keep the hood closed and from outside listen the engine noise. (like shown) That is when one gets the actual idea of the exact levels of the NVH of i-dtec.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Top Bottom