Ford EcoSport Accelerator Not Responding Upon Starting From Slope

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,
I am facing an issue with my 2015 Ford Ecosport (Titanium with Ecoboost engine, done just <6,000KM). The accelerator doesn't respond (even if I floor it) while trying to start moving on a slope (like in a traffic jam and trying to climb an over-bridge or a hilly area). I will have to press the pedal hard 5-6 times before the engine start responding to it. This doesn't happen always, and happens only on sloppy areas. Is this a technical glitch which requires a fix from Ford? Please help.
PS: Of course the gear was in first position.....

This sounds like a serious safety issue, I would definitely recommend taking it to Ford and having it fixed to your thorough satisfaction.

Definitely not a DIY. Take it to ford. Sounds like a turbo charger issue since it happens on slope. The turbo hose may have become loose.

The ecoboost has some lag at the bottom end below 1800. Try revving up a bit more.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Thank you All....
Hope the Turbo would be fine [cry]
I guess its not the turbo lag. Because the engine is not at all revving up...

Hello All,
I am facing an issue with my 2015 Ford Ecosport (Titanium with Ecoboost engine, done just <6,000KM). The accelerator doesn't respond (even if I floor it) while trying to start moving on a slope (like in a traffic jam and trying to climb an over-bridge or a hilly area). I will have to press the pedal hard 5-6 times before the engine start responding to it. This doesn't happen always, and happens only on sloppy areas. Is this a technical glitch which requires a fix from Ford? Please help.
I'm really surprised with this statement, you are risking life of people inside the car, as well as outside. Please be responsible and get the problem fixed, get your car towed to the ASS, asap.

Thread Starter #6
Hi Nanofreak,
I think I didn't make my statement correctly..I didn't observe this issue always even on sloppy areas. It works fine most of the times... I did speak to Ford guys but was not successful in recreating the issue when the tech guys were inside my car and because of that they let the car go without further action. I have observed this issue few times after the first service too. I am gonna flag this issues to senior officials at Ford if the service center guys cant do anything this time.

This could be a Control Assy EGR issue. I had faced this problem once. You may have to get this part replaced. Ford Service Centres usually dont keep this part in stock. It took Ford Service 3-4 days to get this part for me.

There can be many causes to the floowing issue-But my prime suspects are-
1.Throttle Sensor issue ( As you said with repeated pressing ,after 3-4 times if it starts up then it can't be with turbo chargers )
2.EGR valve mechanism and turbo chargers
3.Diesel Engine Pumps(As in inclines,Pump works under different pressure regime ,if sufficient fuel suction isn't there there won't be power)

Hello All,
Recently, I experienced very similar issue for couple of times on the same day while I was on my long ride. Within minutes of beginning our journey I felt either loss of power or no response from the engine. It happened for couple of times in an hour stretch and even more horrified as it occurred for twice again while I was overtaking.[surprise] Then I just stopped my Ecosport TDCI for a break and handed over the wheel to my fellow friend after our breakfast. Surprisingly it didn't appear again for the rest of the trip.[clap] Neither he faced the issue nor me when I took the wheel again post lunch.

We then covered closely 750km Valparai trip and drove back home very safely. Then I suspected that the issue could be with my foot and might be I wasn't kicking at the right areas on the pedal, may be the area towards the top of the pedal. Don't know if my guess was right?! Want to hear any such experiences[confused]

Thread Starter #10
Hello All,
I talked to Ford Service (Kavish Ford, Powai, Mumabi) after considering the suggestions from fellow TAIans. As per their request I parked my car in their service center for two days and it came back to me with a tag that read "No Problem found" (As expected :stupid:). They did a complete scan of the vehicle and there was no error reported in that. Also they had cleaned the fuel filter and air filter since I complained about the drop in mileage. Dont know when this will happen again and I am not sure what can be done to get it sorted out.
Thank you!

Hello All,
I talked to Ford Service (Kavish Ford, Powai, Mumabi) after considering the suggestions from fellow TAIans. As per their request I parked my car in their service center for two days and it came back to me with a tag that read "No Problem found" (As expected :stupid:). They did a complete scan of the vehicle and there was no error reported in that. Also they had cleaned the fuel filter and air filter since I complained about the drop in mileage. Dont know when this will happen again and I am not sure what can be done to get it sorted out.
Thank you!
Hi snowleopard, I hope everything is fine now with your Ecoboost. How do you find driving the vehicle in traffic. Does the turbo lag bother you much or is it OK to drive in the traffic?

@Snowleopard, I was reading this post for about the 5th time when I remembered a similar experience I had in a previous vehicle. So I will ask you a fairly basic question: what was the fuel level in the vehicle when this issue occurred?

Since modern fuel systems operate under a very high pressure, air (highly compressible) being trapped in the fuel line can often cause sputtering and other issues like this. This is also the reason you're never supposed to run a Diesel vehicle to empty. It's possible that due to the incline and a low fuel level, your fuel sloshed away from the fuel line briefly, introducing some air bubbles into the system. This could explain the vehicle not responding to the throttle - because it needed to push the air out before it could inject any fuel.

You never know, this might turn out to be a very simple solution. [;)]

Last edited:

Top Bottom