Need Help With Changing Cylinders and Clutch

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I need your help in understanding some of the issues I'm facing currently and if I can save any bucks on the repair job.

I own a optra magnum top end diesel model which I bought when it hit 45K in the odometer and it's past 60K mark now.

Question 1:
The engine belts need to be changed at 60K as per the manual. Should I seriously be concerned about changing it right away? The service center quoted around 45K for the complete replacement. Is that common and can I instead buy it from sites like ebay and get it replaced with any mech to save on costs? [:D]

Question 2:
As I was driving the vehicle to my office just like any other day, I suddenly realized that the gear shifts weren't moving. They were stuck and needed a lot of effort to change. The problem was mainly with the 1st, 2nd and the reverse gear. So, I drove the vehicle to the service center and after a day of service (pathetic I should say), the service center guy told me everything is fine and there was air lock in clutch system. I sure know that they didn't care to look into the issues as there were many flood affected vehicles.

Now after the service center check up, there's also a vibration as I release the first gear or the reverse gear (from idle). I couldn't get a proper response from the service center guys and was asked to bring back the vehicle. I won't go to their pathetic service again. So, I went to another mech after reading a lot of good reviews. He checked and told me that the gear shift problem is because of both the main and slave cylinders and the vibration could be associated with the clutch which would cost me me around 40-50K. The clutch was changed when the vehicle hit the 40K mark, so it's just 20K mileage after that.

Do you think the problem is associated with these parts and need to be changed? I'm thinking about going to another famous mech to know if he also says the same and his quote for the spares.

Thanks for the help!

Hello AKHAN [:)] . sorry to hear that you are facing these problems and ASC guys failed to rectify it. You should contact 2- 3 different mechanics ( experts) and show them all the issues and get the estimate of total amount required. And after getting assurance of quality work from them you can go ahead .
Very Very IMPORTANT :- bro you have diesel vehicle with crucial timing belt setup , so don't wait for the disaster. Change whole timing kit before it's too late.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks bro Saroya,

I'll keep those things in mind. Spending almost 1lakh after a lot of expenses on the car already just blew me away. Now, I regret buying a second hand car [frustration]. And regret not able to buy this beautiful beast when it was released as a fresh hand [drive]

Hello All,

I need your help in understanding some of the issues I'm facing currently and if I can save any bucks on the repair job.

I own a optra magnum top end diesel model which I bought when it hit 45K in the odometer and it's past 60K mark now.

Question 1:
The engine belts need to be changed at 60K as per the manual. Should I seriously be concerned about changing it right away? The service center quoted around 45K for the complete replacement. Is that common and can I instead buy it from sites like ebay and get it replaced with any mech to save on costs? [:D]

Question 2:
As I was driving the vehicle to my office just like any other day, I suddenly realized that the gear shifts weren't moving. They were stuck and needed a lot of effort to change. The problem was mainly with the 1st, 2nd and the reverse gear. So, I drove the vehicle to the service center and after a day of service (pathetic I should say), the service center guy told me everything is fine and there was air lock in clutch system. I sure know that they didn't care to look into the issues as there were many flood affected vehicles.

Now after the service center check up, there's also a vibration as I release the first gear or the reverse gear (from idle). I couldn't get a proper response from the service center guys and was asked to bring back the vehicle. I won't go to their pathetic service again. So, I went to another mech after reading a lot of good reviews. He checked and told me that the gear shift problem is because of both the main and slave cylinders and the vibration could be associated with the clutch which would cost me me around 40-50K. The clutch was changed when the vehicle hit the 40K mark, so it's just 20K mileage after that.

Do you think the problem is associated with these parts and need to be changed? I'm thinking about going to another famous mech to know if he also says the same and his quote for the spares.

Thanks for the help!
Timing belt change is 45k is way too costly.
Since this is an used car, we are not sure how the car was used earlier. If you are using from the beginning then its not mandatory to change the timing belt on 60K. I believe you have timing chain in your car, but its really a sensitive place and you should need to take a very good mechanics suggestions.

If you can find a good mechanic then you can get these repairs done at 1/3 the price quoted by ASC guys. So my suggestion is find a good mechanic and get all these problems solved. And i am sure after this major service you will be a happy Chevy Owner.

Top Bottom