Motor Home DIY Project

Thread Starter #1
As mentioned, I am planning to do a DIY motorhome project..[:D]
I would really appreciate input from our champions for this..
I have done bit of homework on this..Following are the base requirements for my motorhome design:
1)Body type:My opinion is that Buses are not suitable to Motorhome DIY project as they already contain too many windows and seats need to be removed...we have to pay for them anyhow(both buying and removing)..A parcel van or customized box build will be more suitable and cost effective. It will cost around 10-12 lac with body.
Additionally, boxed van will provide better insulation which will make AC more effective...and less peeping from outside curious cats[;)]
2)Movement:The movement inside the van area should be comfortable without bending head all the time..
Initially I shortlisted Force traveller parcel van, but its box height is 6 foot only.It should be at least 8 foot for caravan as I am planning to have drop down bed inside..The driver compartment(with swivel seats) will not be separated as it will be self driven vehicle..so planning to have customized build on chassis..
Your suggestions are most welcome for this as I have very less knowledge about vehicles..
3)Sleeping:should get a good night sleep.Hence the bed size should be at least six feet 2 inches in length(180x200).Also don't want to make up the bed every day.So planning to have drop down bed which will save space.Additional drop down bed on top of driver seat.

4)Camp for 4: The motorhome should be able to accommodate four person(Two adults and two kids) including beds.
5)Self sustainable(boondocked) : The motorhome should be self sustained for at least 10 days (with river or pond water).

The caravans I have seen on internet are more of luxury with designer lcd lights than utility caravans. I am more of a village kinda guy so no urge for luxury.So.. here's the idea..all suggestions and inputs are welcome..
Here's the inspiration site:Deep Red - A self-build motorhome - home page

Last edited:
Building caravan on Force traveller is more effective on Indian roads - where in other cases like trailer or chassis based structure. There are certain customisation limitations for Traveller though reg. dimensions and in-built drive systems.

Top Bottom