Originally Posted by DrJviyala
This happened on wednesday when a Bike from opposite direction was trying to overtake from the wrong side and the innova ahead of me had to apply sudden brakes ,i was behind the innova and applied brake twice but the distance was minimum ,the Speed was merely 30km/hr and the damages to the scorpio were bad .Somehow managed to lodge an fir and took the car to andheri west ,I was able to drive it as there was no Radiator leakage till then . The accident took place at Chinchpokli .
I had to claim insurance ,the estimate for which is yet to be conveyed .
Damages Visible :
1) Front bumper
2) Show grill
3) Both Headlights
4) Radiator Assembly
5) Condensor assembly
6) Locking Siren
7) Left side fender was Moved back because of which the door wasnt opening .
All this and the innova merely had a Bump on its dicky Door
I believe that this is a collision at 30 kph. People here at times call me accident expert (IR you listening?) and I can confidently say that a collision at 30 kph is more than enough to cause such a damage to a heavy SUV like Scorpio.
What actually happened:
- Innova applied the brakes real hard
- You hit it from back
- Your bull bar (which is actually a very bad design if we look at it mechanically) simply couldn't take the force (A 1800 kg SUV pushing it into another UV and this poor thingy has just 2 pivot points holding it with el-cheapo and rickety CI/MS plates).
- The bull bar simply concentrated the entire force into a small area (Pressure = force per unit area) causing the massive rupture in the areas where the whole force got applied because of the bull bar. Check the image and the red marked areas for reference:
Why more damage?
- After this impact, the front grille, headlight mounts, bumper etc all gave up and the impact force reached the bulkhead too causing the damage to radiator etc. This impact even reached the locking point of the bonnet which has resulted in the deformation of the bonnet (which is more due to locking point and bulkhead collapse and less due to direct hit).
The impact which was supposed to be distributed uniformly throughout the front section of your front bumper is simply concentrated into a small area because of the horizontal member of the bull bar which isn't supposed to be at that place if we think sanely. Why less damage to Innova?
Higher set rear bumper and good impactforce distribution caused the bumper to take more and less to reach the tailgate.
Never install these fancy pieces of $#it on your car; they can even cause airbags to fail to deploy in cases.
I hope the dynamics of the accident are clear now and I hope you have a zero dep insurance to cover the damages. What are the expected expenses BTW
? Out of the list:
I guess the L&R fog lamp assembly can be retained along with the washer bottle too. Radiator fan assembly also looks untouched as the damage to bulkhead isn't as much as it looks. Do one thing; have a word with service adviser and tell him that you want to see the removed parts because there can be chances of you getting new parts and older ones in perfectly working condition going to the cars of other customers with malfunctioning parts after some setting with service adviser.