Mahindra Scorpio M-Hawk Accident in Mumbai

Thread Starter #1
This happened on wednesday when a Bike from opposite direction was trying to overtake from the wrong side and the innova ahead of me had to apply sudden brakes ,i was behind the innova and applied brake twice but the distance was minimum ,the Speed was merely 30km/hr and the damages to the scorpio were bad .Somehow managed to lodge an fir and took the car to andheri west ,I was able to drive it as there was no Radiator leakage till then . The accident took place at Chinchpokli .

I had to claim insurance ,the estimate for which is yet to be conveyed .

Damages Visible :
1) Front bumper
2) Show grill
3) Both Headlights
4) Radiator Assembly
5) Condensor assembly
6) Locking Siren
7) Left side fender was Moved back because of which the door wasnt opening .

All this and the innova merely had a Bump on its dicky Door

Attachments

Re: Accident of Scorpio MHAWK in Mumbai

Don't get me wrong,but this is the reason I do not support additional bull bar or bumper guard for any car. This extra accessory had changed damage taking capability of the bumper. I feel That is the reason just for a small bump your car's entire front is damaged. Rest ,I leave it to the experts.

do not get me wrong. does not seem like a 30km speed hit. The bull guards, bumpers or nudge guards are just fancy items just like a girl's make up kit. Everycar has a collision absorping points on their body. The front bumper in your car itself is a collision absorbing structure which even can be brought back into shape by heat incase of a impact.

The bull bars bend inwards in the event of impact hitting the body of the car and damging then rather than protecting.

the best way is to claim insurance. firstly i request you to remove the nudge guard. Feel sorry for the incident.

I have seen marketing lines like the nudge guard prevents you and your car in case of crash, contains reinforced steel structre and so on on the cover of the bull bar.nudge guards cheating people.

Thread Starter #4
Yes pravin no one wants to believe it but thats d truth. I had jus left frn the signal and was in the 2nd gear so the speed wasnt above 30km/hr. had claimed for the insurance its a 50% dep ins. So i am jus waiting for the estimate. Tge work has already started and will be getting the beast back within 7 days

This happened on wednesday when a Bike from opposite direction was trying to overtake from the wrong side and the innova ahead of me had to apply sudden brakes ,i was behind the innova and applied brake twice but the distance was minimum ,the Speed was merely 30km/hr and the damages to the scorpio were bad .Somehow managed to lodge an fir and took the car to andheri west ,I was able to drive it as there was no Radiator leakage till then . The accident took place at Chinchpokli .

I had to claim insurance ,the estimate for which is yet to be conveyed .

Damages Visible :
1) Front bumper
2) Show grill
3) Both Headlights
4) Radiator Assembly
5) Condensor assembly
6) Locking Siren
7) Left side fender was Moved back because of which the door wasnt opening .

All this and the innova merely had a Bump on its dicky Door
@Dr
I believe that this is a collision at 30 kph. People here at times call me accident expert (IR you listening?) and I can confidently say that a collision at 30 kph is more than enough to cause such a damage to a heavy SUV like Scorpio.

What actually happened:
  • Innova applied the brakes real hard
  • You hit it from back
  • Your bull bar (which is actually a very bad design if we look at it mechanically) simply couldn't take the force (A 1800 kg SUV pushing it into another UV and this poor thingy has just 2 pivot points holding it with el-cheapo and rickety CI/MS plates).
  • The bull bar simply concentrated the entire force into a small area (Pressure = force per unit area) causing the massive rupture in the areas where the whole force got applied because of the bull bar. Check the image and the red marked areas for reference:
bull bar.JPG
  • After this impact, the front grille, headlight mounts, bumper etc all gave up and the impact force reached the bulkhead too causing the damage to radiator etc. This impact even reached the locking point of the bonnet which has resulted in the deformation of the bonnet (which is more due to locking point and bulkhead collapse and less due to direct hit).

Why more damage?
The impact which was supposed to be distributed uniformly throughout the front section of your front bumper is simply concentrated into a small area because of the horizontal member of the bull bar which isn't supposed to be at that place if we think sanely.

Why less damage to Innova?
Higher set rear bumper and good impactforce distribution caused the bumper to take more and less to reach the tailgate.

LESSON(S) LEARNT
Never install these fancy pieces of $#it on your car; they can even cause airbags to fail to deploy in cases.

I hope the dynamics of the accident are clear now and I hope you have a zero dep insurance to cover the damages. What are the expected expenses BTW?

Out of the list: I guess the L&R fog lamp assembly can be retained along with the washer bottle too. Radiator fan assembly also looks untouched as the damage to bulkhead isn't as much as it looks. Do one thing; have a word with service adviser and tell him that you want to see the removed parts because there can be chances of you getting new parts and older ones in perfectly working condition going to the cars of other customers with malfunctioning parts after some setting with service adviser.

Last edited:
There is another factor i think. The front of any car is designed with crumple zones to absorb the impact. The rear, especially in a hatch muv like the innova, is designed to not crumple to keep passenger cell intact. Thats why more damage on your car than his

Ameyam

I can attest to this. Driving to office in the thick Hinjawadi traffic one day in my Micra CVT, I had to brake instantly at around 20 kph to avoid a 2 wheeler who was veering into my right. The next thing i heard was big bang and a sharp jolt. Stepped out, and saw a Ritz had hit me from behind (was driving too close of course). I had a gash into my right side bumper. No structural damage further on. Side profile completely intact and flush with the body.. Exhaust pipe intact. The Ritz had a major hit on his left side bumper,fender and shattered headlamp.

Thread Starter #9
Sorry guys for the late update .

The beast is back to life . The total cost of the repair was 85000 of which the insurance paid back 39000 ,I even got the complete side skirtings painted the cost of which is included .
The paint and dent work was good and satisfactory . and was delivered in 10 days .

I have not replacedd the bull bar .have kept it as it is without any guard .

Top Bottom