Oil Change Interval For Two Wheelers

Thread Starter #1
hi ALL,
I would like to ask a question about OIL CHANGE INTERVAL in all tow wheelers.

Normally it is around 3000 Kms. Now, Why do almost all two wheelers need a oil change as well as a service at around 3000kms/3months while almost all cars need a service and oil change at around 10000 kms/1 year?

One more question : If we consider the cc's of bikes/scoots vs. cars we need to use lot of oil in two wheelers compared to cars. For example my 800 cc maruti 800 uses 3 litres of oil. Then my scooty zest 110 should use around 375 ml only, rounding of the 10 cc more to 100 cc engine only.

Experts please comment

regards

mandar

Last edited:
hi ALL,

Normally it is around 3000 Kms. Now, Why do almost all two wheelers need a oil change as well as a service at around 3000kms/3months while almost all cars need a service and oil change at around 10000 kms/1 year?

One more question : If we consider the cc's of bikes/scoots vs. cars we need to use lot of oil in two wheelers compared to cars. For example my 800 cc maruti 800 uses 3 litres of oil. Then my scooty zest 110 should use around 375 ml only, rounding of the 10 cc more to 100 cc engine only.

Experts please comment

regards

mandar
I change the oil every 2000 kms or 2 months in my two wheeler. If I use synthetic oil, then I go for 6000 or 6 months interval. Personally, I would suggest the same for good engine life.

Thread Starter #3
dear nag2fat,

changing the oil in 2 wheelers every 2/3 k kms with mineral oil and 6k kms with synthetic oil is not at all a bad idea. But I just wanted to ask why do two wheelers need a service and oil change at every 2/3k kms. while cars , even with mineral oil need a service at 10k kms, normally.

I have been changing oil in my Fiero every 5000 kms (mineral oil only) without any problems. I have done 1,13,000kms on my motorcycle without any problems and replacements, mainly the clutch plates, yes they are still factory fitted originals. thats a different story but still.

regards

mandar

I am using Fazer and always used Synthetic oil. I am following oil change for every 6 months irrespective how many KMS are done. On an average I do upto 5 K kms in 6 months. Now a days I am using my car more hence planning to switch the service interval to 9 months.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
When I took my Scooter (Wego) for 2nd Service with Odo showing only 561kms (the scooty is used only for shopping purposes), the service guy told me that Oil change has to be done as per the manual however the Manager told him not to change oil but just do Oil top up. But when I gave the vehicle for 3rd Service at 1007kms, they have changed the oil and again during the 4th Service they just did oil top up.

Now the scooty is due for its 5th (last free service) service and the manual says to replace Engine Oil. The Odo reads only 2200kms and I think they will definitely change the oil (whether they change the oil fully or not but will bill for full oil change[confused] ). As per the service Coupon, it says 5th service to be done at 11500-12000km hence the instructions says to Replace the oil.

Oil has to be changed according to the engines running and not the duration of running? In my case, eventhough it is now one year since the scooty is purchased but the actual running is only 2200kms but oil change become necessary in two occassions as per the manual.[confused]

Let us be clear about some things.

Engine Oil change is recommended by the company for two wheelers,irrespective of kilometres driven,as it must be changed in time too as Engine oil life depends on the period it stays inside the engine. Even if the odo is not running the engine is running,while you stop or brake at many places in city (for eg.traffic signals) .
It is always recommended to use oils specially designed for bikes, since motorcycles are more demanding on oil than cars are. In scientific testing, it has been determined that motorcycles will break down oil more quickly than cars. Today's four stroke motorcycle engine environment is far more severe than that of the automobile. Motorcycle engines run hotter and faster and may have reduced oil capacities to handle engine lubricity and cooling. These factors favor the use of specifically tailored oils. Friction modifiers, used in Passenger Car Motor Oils to enhance automotive fuel economy can lead to clutch slippage in those motorcycles that use the same oil for engine and transmission lubrication while lower viscosity grades can lead to increased gear pitting.

Motorcycle specific oils have 5 times the anti-wear, anti-scuff and extreme pressure additives as compared to motorcar oil. Besides, they do not have friction modifiers that can wreak havoc on clutch performance.
Oil is vital to the operation of your motorcycle and operates in three ways: reducing internal friction, cooling the components of the motor, and flushing the motor of debris. Oil lubricates the moving parts in the motor, preventing metal parts from coming into direct contact with each other.

The oil system is designed to catch as much of the contaminants that build up within the motor, straining out any foreign objects as it passes through the oil filter. Changing your oil and filter refreshes this system, removing any build-up and providing fresh lubrication.

Courtesy:IOC

Thread Starter #7
dear nairrk and generalmax,
I know that you all are very particular about oil change as per the owners manual of your respective rides. I also change the oils as per the manufacturers recommendations. My zest110 is being serviced on time for the last one year ( i bought last feb).

But i think you did not understand my problem.
I would like to ask in other way. "If cars can have a service and oil change schedule of 10,000 kms/ 1 year then why can't two wheelers have similar schedules? Why don't two wheeler manufacturers design their two wheeler engines so that it needs a service only after a 1 year/ 10000 kms?"
As it is we use a lot of oil in our bikes/scooters when compared with the CUBIC CAPACITY of cars.
Example: My fiero uses 1 liter of oil for 150 cc. Then in that context my maruti 800 (800 cc) should use more than 5 liters of oil.
OR other way round if my maruti 800 uses 3 liters of oil for 800cc then my fiero (150cc) should use only 562 ml of oil.
So dont you guys think we use lot of oil for our motorcycles.

As for motorcycles I know that the oil has friction modifiers which is useful for the longevity of the clutch. Then what about scooters (new age automatics) wherein they have DRY clutches. In that case I should be practically be able to use CAR ENGINE OIL instead of the oil recommended by the manufacturers. so that i can lengthen my oil change period.
what i think is :
1. Two wheeler manufacturers want to loot the customers every 3 months/xxx kms so that they can have an upper hand in case of warranties OR
2. They are not confident about their products/ manufacturing process thereby making a guinea pig of the customers.
As it is no manufacturer honors warranty claims that easily. They just try to hide/solve the problem superficially till the warranty expiry date.
What say friends and experts?
regards
mandar

Last edited:
When i give for the service i specifically say the kilometres covered after last service and i give the work to only to one particular SA.
3 days ago i had my service for Activa,last done at November 2015.When the vehicle was given ,the SA himself had told me, i will check the condition of Oil and then change it if required.
When service bill came- it was 300 Rs( Suspension greasing,Clutch overhauling-They adjust variator and belt tightening with this)-as i have AMC -there was discount on labour and cosummables.
When i change the Oil also the bill amounts to 500.

My SA recommends 3000km interval rather than 3 months,as now most vehicles use Synthetic so it has enough property to withstand time interval.
Oil change is required after 3k km, as generally the oil level also drops slightly.
In 2 wheelers especially 150cc below,there is no separate coolant tank,the engine oil itself provides coolant properties,so thereby i recommend 3k interval .

Nairrk

Honoured Member
We have been discussing about the time duration or the mileage for oil change, but how do we know the service Guys actually changed the full tank oil.? They do have an option to top up oil every time and charge full amount from us?

On my scooter, during 2nd service they did top up oil and charged me Rs.100. During 3rd service, they changed the oil and billed me for Rs.260(including tax for 1 litre TVS TRU4 Premium ). On the 4th Service they again topped up and charged Rs.40...)

When my Fiesta was given for servicing (few months back), they said that Oil was changed and the bill came for Rs.899 for 4.1 Litre Engine Oil.

I heard that Service stations make lot of money in the name oil change which they only know the actual quantity used either for top up or full oil change[confused]

Thread Starter #10
dear friends,
again i think you seems you didn't understand my questions. Please read my earlier post and specially the bold part in it.

dear vishnucarcrazy,
as you said scoots dont have a coolant tank to cool the oil. What about the earlier bullets and big engined motorcycles. But the engine designers should have had designed the engine in such a way that their is proper amount of air circulation around the engine (fan cooling not withstanding). For example they can add fins to the crankcase so that there is air moving over/through the fins to cool the engine and thereby the oil ever so slightly.

My Vijai super has fins under the gearbox to cool it.

dear nairrk,
your scooter might be using full synth oil by tvs (maybe) which according to the company needs to be changed every 6000kms. So your scoot is getting just a top up. and a change at every alternate service.

So my question once again : Why do scooters and motorcycles need an oil change at 3000 kms ONLY? while cars can run 10000kms on one oil change?

regards

mandar

hi ALL,
That's different for different oil grades and better to follow the oil change interval as well as oil grade as recommended by the manufacturer.

3000 kms is just a rough estimate made by the manufacturer after the testing done under various driving cycles.Engine oil has less to do with the kms covered on the wheel and has more to do with the distance covered by the pistons inside the cylinder.

Example:
Maruti Suzuki Swift does 100 kph at 2500 rpm
Bajaj Pulsar 220 does 100 kph around 6400 rpm

Now say in one hour (I deal condition; 100 kms covered at 100 kph); the Swift will go 100 kilometers but the pistons inside the engine cylinder would have done their reciprocation or the crank would have done complete revolutions around:
In Swift: The crank will turn 1,50,000 times in an hour for doing 100 kph@2500 rpm
In Pulsar 220: The crank will turn 3,84,000 times in an hour for doing 100 kph@2500 rpm

What does it signify? Well; more running of engine means more friction and hence more the engine oil loses it's viscosity. This is the reason why Swift has a service interval of 10,000 kms and Pulsar 220 has the same for 4000-4500 kms.

That's a nice question; two reasons and let me put them as simple as possible:
Higher engine speed in scooty means higher amount of lubrication needed. 100 cc scooters and specially those with CVT have their engines run at really mad speeds even under hard acceleration or while doing speeds like 60 kph
Secondly the oil sump; cars don't lean on bends like scooters and motorcycles

I hope the technical aspects are clear now

As it is we use a lot of oil in our bikes/scooters when compared with the CUBIC CAPACITY of cars.
Example: My fiero uses 1 liter of oil for 150 cc. Then in that context my maruti 800 (800 cc) should use more than 5 liters of oil.
OR other way round if my maruti 800 uses 3 liters of oil for 800cc then my fiero (150cc) should use only 562 ml of oil.
So dont you guys think we use lot of oil for our motorcycles.
Mandar,
Oil in the engine not only lubricates, but also carries the heat from moving parts and dissipated in to the sump. Since a 1 cylinder engine revs at a higher speed than a car, the heating due to friction is more than a car. Also 1 cylinder engines are mostly air cooled and we don't have system to maintain it at a controlled temperature. Hence oil plays a vital role in carrying away this heat generated during operation.
And heat is dissipated from oil to the environment through the surface of the engine itself. Hence by increasing the volume of oil stored in the sump gives enough time to cool it after being circulated around the moving parts of engine.
Also a minor part of oil vaporizes due to heat from the engine and hence there is always a continuous consumption of oil. With excess oil, your top-up intervals can be reduced.
Also the sump needs a minimum level of oil such that it always feeds the inlet of oil pump in the most commonly seen inclinations where the 2 wheeler is supposed to be used. And hence to be safer, vehicle manufacturers mark the min oil level considering this extremely inclined scenario also and not just the oil required to pass through the pump, oil paths and back to the pump.
Hope this clarifies your doubt.

-Ilango

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
thanks tsivipul and ilangop for your answers. got the answers.
but i still think that 3000 kms is a bit less for two wheelers. I get bored to go to the service center every 3 months for the service and oil change[;)].

Anyway thanks for your answers. those have cleared y doubts.[thumbsup]

regards

mandar

you can always DIY. Its more fun & cheaper.
check youtube videos / give your scooter for an oil change to a local garage & learn from them how to do it.

Thread Starter #15
yes maulik,
I can always DIY an oil change for my vehicles. But my scoot is still in warranty,I just bought it last year. For my other vehicles i prefer DIY including my 2000 fiero, and my 1993 maruti 800.

In warranty period i try not to mess with the engines. Companies/ ASS have the right to dishonour warranty if at all it arises. Not withstanding that the companies do not honor the warranties so easily. They always try to take the matter as "It is a wear and tear item, Sir, so their is no warranty!"

Regards

mandar

Top Bottom