Fiat Linea Shock Absorbers Life

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I am stuck in a dilemma for past few days and thought of leveraging our community support.

My 2011 Linea has clocked 78000 kms. The alignment guy told me recently that the front shock absorber is leaking and I need to get it changed which I believe will cost around 5k if the mounting also gets changed. Here is what my confusion is.

- Should I simply go with changing of left side front shocker or go a new kit for 2012 linea which will cause of dent of approx 18k in my wallet but will also increase the ground clearance? What if I only change the former and other absorbers give away in few 1000 kms?

Suggestion/s awaited :-)

Cheers!

Akash1886

Honoured Member
My 2011 Linea has clocked 78000 kms. The alignment guy told me recently that the front shock absorber is leaking and I need to get it changed which I believe will cost around 5k if the mounting also gets changed. Here is what my confusion is.

- Should I simply go with changing of left side front shocker or go a new kit for 2012 linea which will cause of dent of approx 18k in my wallet but will also increase the ground clearance? What if I only change the former and other absorbers give away in few 1000 kms?
I would suggest you should get the full pair of shock absorbers changed along with the mounting of both sides in front. It is a major component and shall affect the ride of the car if you do a jugaad or replace it partially. If you are considering the expense, I would say, look for an after market solution. My neighbor had a White FIAT Linea and he asked me about the shocker change about 2-3 years back. He was not interested in ASC so we went to Kashmiri gate and got the job done to his satisfaction. If I remember correctly, the store from where bought the stuff for his car was Arjun Motors in Kashmiri Gate Car market.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3
I would suggest you should get the full pair of shock absorbers changed along with the mounting of both sides in front. It is a major component and shall affect the ride of the car if you do a jugaad or replace it partially. If you are considering the expense, I would say, look for an after market solution. My neighbor had a White FIAT Linea and he asked me about the shocker change about 2-3 years back. He was not interested in ASC so we went to Kashmiri gate and got the job done to his satisfaction. If I remember correctly, the store from where bought the stuff for his car was Arjun Motors in Kashmiri Gate Car market.

Regards

Akash
Thanks Akash. Any guesstimate what was the price of the kit for all 4 shockers. I feel 1-2k difference wont matter that much if that's the differential amount. Perhaps I will try my luck and have some expenses reduced from the service center folks as my car is under additional warranty.

Hi All,

I am stuck in a dilemma for past few days and thought of leveraging our community support.

Suggestion/s awaited :-)

Cheers!
Suspension job @78000 kms is normal. And as Akash rightly said, go for full replacement and not part jobs. Also get the job done at a competent garage. And as Akash suggested, buy all the original parts yourself and get the job done.

Thread Starter #5
hmm thanks buddy. Since Fiat as a brand isn't all that widespread, I feel it will be difficult to procure the original parts. I am thinking to get this whole kit done from Fiat's authorized center. It may cost me some 2-3 k more but that will not tamper my extended warranty.

An after thought, Fiat also recommends changing the timing set or chain not sure what it is called at 50000 kms but I don't see any issues with it. What do you suggest?

Best!

hmm thanks buddy. Since Fiat as a brand isn't all that widespread, I feel it will be difficult to procure the original parts. I am thinking to get this whole kit done from Fiat's authorized center. It may cost me some 2-3 k more but that will not tamper my extended warranty.

An after thought, Fiat also recommends changing the timing set or chain not sure what it is called at 50000 kms but I don't see any issues with it. What do you suggest?

Best!
Ya. You can do the suspension job in fiat asc too. I don't think there will be much difference.

And regarding timing chain, please change it as per the owners manual. If your manual says at 50000, change in 50000 kms. I would even recommend it to change ahead at 48000 kms itself. Don't ignore the timing chain change even if asc tells so. Just Google and see the number of cases of engine damages because of timing chains not changed in time..

Thread Starter #7
Thanks again. Sorry for the ignorance but if you can pl check this link for me and suggest if this is all that is needed. Mine is 2011 manufacturing linea mjd. Guess the ASC will run the expense to 9k.

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/timing-chain-1-3-mjd-linea.html

Thanks in advance.

Thanks again. Sorry for the ignorance but if you can pl check this link for me and suggest if this is all that is needed. Mine is 2011 manufacturing linea mjd. Guess the ASC will run the expense to 9k.

FIAT Linea 1.3 MJD: Timing Chain

Thanks in advance.
Yes. This is one. But changing the timing chain is a process for which I will prefer the regular ASC rather than a outside garage..

Thread Starter #9
Correct but these folks are giving an estimate of 9k where the part will cost around 3k from 99rpm. Am I missing something?

Top Bottom