Maruti Restoration

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I need a little advise on some things
My wife is starting to think on the topic of driving and upon discussion i came to know that she in favour of driving something user friendly like an automatic .
But seeing the options in the market ,She not happy so i came with idea of gifting her car
Now comes the deli-ma. [confused] .Which car to buy or which car to restore .
Personally wanted to restore a car so hence here i am .[clap]
While going thru blogs and website came across a maruti 800 even zen and 1000 in automatic variants so can they be a candidates or take the body of these and put a new heart in them as recently my friend came across a crashed a star with engine and gearbox intact & my luck it is an automatic
[evil] SO my brain came into working starting to work out the details
My Canvas
1.SB308 Maruti 800 1984 onwards model
2.Maruti's Hot Hatch The ZEN 1999 onwards
3.Or Even a Maruti Gypsy
Can you point out which is the most suitable out of the three for the automatic transplant
Garage and other parts can be taken care as my friend has an access to a fully preprepared army garage and MGP Parts are avaliable for all three above .

Guru's Please advise as i really wanted to go thru the restoration route but being my first time and not really excepting the reality i am asking you guys for help

Ok. From a financial point of view, none of these. Simply because you will buy all the parts and then, when you decide to sell, you wont get even the same price as you spent for the restoration. Also, even if you keep the car for any length of time, you will have to deal with frequent brakedowns. If automatic is the criteria, look at the celerio or the WagonR auto

Ameyam

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Hi,

So the crashed A-Star's engine and gear box is costing me 50K as the junkyard dealer is a known person.and he assure me the engine has done around 45k .
The cost of a maruti 800 or zen will cost me roughly around 20K - 50K including all the aux components.I have a workshop to work in.Work will be done by me only.
One main thing is that i need to know if such kind of conversion will be possible or not.
Or should i go ahead and buy a used automatic for her.Cause budget for this task is exact 1lakh and the time i have i also one year starting 17 march.

Since the car is for your lady, better go for a new AMT model from Maruti on EMI or buy a used one. The money and time you planning to waist in a rebuild will use for something else, because when you start rebuild you have to face many hurdles and even though it is successful, it may need to run many kms to identify the complaints. It may not be roadworthy at RTO/ insurance point of view and more than that your Wife had to drive this.

Top Bottom