Suspected Coolant Leak

Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Friends, I am suspecting a coolant leak on My Hyundai I10, Reveved here-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...i-i10-magna-detailed-review-8.html#post477297

Today morning when the car was Getting washed, I saw a small puddle of Green coolant on the floor. My Natural Reaction was to pop the hood and Check any obivious leaks. However I found nothing by visual inspection. I need your help on this guys! Here are some bold points about the case-

1> Driver was washing the car with water when I saw the puddle. However only the external car was washed, Hood closed. I never wash car engine bays.

2> The car was serviced last month only and coolant was also changed. The details are in the Link above.

3> Found no leaks by visuals

4> The coolant level in Resiorvior tank was less. I added about 700ML of coolant to this tank. However, The coolant level in Radiator was way too full. Infact when I slowly opened the radiator cap, Small quality escaped from above.

5> The Car was NOT used in morning. I had merely reversed for cleaning.

6> The upper radiator hose was very hot , while the one that goes to bottom of Radiator was Room temperature. Does that mean coolant is not circulating?

7> Engine temperature after 10 Mins of Idling was about 20% on Gague. Which is normal to me. Its not overheating or anything.

8> Driver suggested that coolant spills could have happened during service, which then stuck to car underbody. The wash merely brought stuck coolant down. Seems logical however Engine bay is not washed.

9> For now I asked Driver to clean engine bay entirely and make dry of Coolant, so i can check more leaks.

Chime in Folks!

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hello Friends, I am suspecting a coolant leak on My Hyundai I10, Reveved here-

6> The upper radiator hose was very hot , while the one that goes to bottom of Radiator was Room temperature.
If the connecting end to the radiator is hot buddy then in all possibility the hose has developed a minor leak somewhere for sure. Also it could be possible that the tightening clamp of the hose pipe might have become loose which loosens the hose as well and leads to coolant leak. Had happened 2-3 times in my Esteem too so you may check the hose and get it replaced if needed. Remember, the leak in the hose may not be very big. One more idea I have, take the car to the ASC/mechanic, get the hose removed, and get it checked in a Tasla (round-container) of water just the way we get our punctured tyre(s) checked for minor air leaks after repairs.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

bhvm

Honoured Member
thanks for lighting quick reply buddy.
I again inspected this evening, with a torch. found nothing. hose seals and entire hose is dry to see and touch.

is it possible that Service guys overfilled the coolant and it's now simply dribbling the excess? I just came back from 600km , 10 day trip and vehicle worked wonderfully.

asc is 110 km away so.I'll try everything at my end before sending out.

thanks.

Thread Starter #5

bhvm

Honoured Member
Vishnu, it is coolant and has a sweet smell. I confirmed the same by putting a finger in radiator cap.

thanks for the concerns.

Thread Starter #7

bhvm

Honoured Member
I saw a small quantity of coolant in the morning. it might be only 7-8 drops. nothing alarming. but some leak is present. Atleast the car is driveable and nothing overheats. I will put the car on jack and check again today.

which areas shall I look at?

So you do have a leak.

Take it to a trusted mechanic and have the leak located. From there, decide what needs to be fixed and who is to do it. Leaks usually happen at joints where the rubber hose connects to the radiator and such

Ameyam

Thread Starter #9

bhvm

Honoured Member
today the driver is saying no leak.
perhaps leaking happens only after vehicle is driven/idle a short while.

I've phoned the dealer, let's wait and watch.

Thread Starter #10

bhvm

Honoured Member
I inspected again. Sure enough there is a leak[frustration]
Its coming from the radiator Fan area. Whole stuff is covered in Plastic cover so one can't see where exactly its coming.
Leak rate is 1~2 drops a second.[cry]

Attachments

You may need a replacement/repair of a hose or the connector on that part.Do not wait for more.Take it to the service centre.Sudden coolant lose may create lose of issues.

Thread Starter #12

bhvm

Honoured Member
Sir Service is 100~120 KM away. I will have to look at some other arrangements perhaps.

Prepare some coolant solution in a bottle and carry it along with you. Also carry some plain water. As you drive there, keep an eye on the temperature. If it starts to go up, park, let the engine cool for atleast half hour and put in the coolant directly into the radiator, then drive and bit more. Also, don't use aircon. You can reach the ASC this way easily.

Ameyam

Thread Starter #14

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thanks ameyam for the Tips.
I have REQUESTED the ASS to send a team over here for inspection. Paying him the ticket fare is far better (And cheaper) than me Risking a drive 100km.

That too on Bad roads. At the rate of 1~2 drops a sec, I think I will have to get down and refill every 15~20 Mins or so. The leak sure has increased compared to yesterday (It was not dripping visibly yesterday). I do not want to risk it anymore.

Last edited:
Best way is to get the SVC guys to your place. or else consult a local mechanic for the time being.

On a lighter note, where do you live that the Hyundai SVC is also 100kms?

Top Bottom