VW Polo Tyre Upsizing with Used VW Alloy Wheel or Not!!

Thread Starter #1
My Polo Trendline is Fitted with 14" Steel wheels, and is done 6000 kms approx. I am thinking of changing to alloy wheels. As tyres are almost new I am thinking of getting 14" alloys only so that I dont need to buy new tyres.

secondly some one is selling original VW 15" alloys with 50% tyre life remaining at an affordable cost (15k for all). But considering tyre life I am hesitant as I have to change the tyre sooner or later.

Just want to clear that recently we had a journey of 3300 kms on this 14" steel wheels and I got a Fuel economy of 18 kms/liter (petrol)

What you suggest just buy 14" alloys and re use the original tyre. Or go for this 15" used alloys wheel. will it make any difference in related to better ride quality & fuel economy etc??

My Polo Trendline is Fitted with 14" Steel wheels, and is done 6000 kms approx. I am thinking of changing to alloy wheels. As tyres are almost new I am thinking of getting 14" alloys only so that I dont need to buy new tyres.

secondly some one is selling original VW 15" alloys with 50% tyre life remaining at an affordable cost (15k for all). But considering tyre life I am hesitant as I have to change the tyre sooner or later.

Just want to clear that recently we had a journey of 3300 kms on this 14" steel wheels and I got a Fuel economy of 18 kms/liter (petrol)

What you suggest just buy 14" alloys and re use the original tyre. Or go for this 15" used alloys wheel. will it make any difference in related to better ride quality & fuel economy etc??
You can either sell off your rims + 14" tyres and go for 15" alloys with tyres or get 14" alloys and use stock tyres. The former option would cost you ~9k (15k - 5/6k for existing setup) and latter would be ~15-16k for decent 14" rims.

If you are a fan of stock look, go for those 15" rims + tyres but continue to use your current 14" rims and tyres as you will not get anything at 6k kms. It is better to finish off the tyres at 30-35k and use these 15" then. Similarly, you can use these 15" ones only and sell your car exactly when these 15" tyres are worn off, and while selling you can make 5-6k extra just by giving these 6k run 14" rims and tyres. And also you can sell these OEM alloys for 8-10k easily then. Double benefit.

My personal opinion would be to get these 15" OEM alloys and tyres. Sell off your 14" ones or keep them with you as per your wish. OEM quality is very good and you won't be able to find such quality in 15-16k alloys.

Comfort and ride quality I will able to help if you provide tyre sizes of both 14" and 15".

BTW a set of new alloys costs more than 70k or maybe even 75k at VW dealerships. Just for the sake of info.
In fact I guess a set of 4 alloy rims and 4 tires cost close to 1 lac.

For 15k a set this is a steal. The rims are of really good quality and if you don't mind then do PM me the information of seller. I will immediately think of buying them for a Comfortline which is gonna join our turf within a week.

Thread Starter #4
Comfort and ride quality I will able to help if you provide tyre sizes of both 14" and 15".
Tyre size is 185/60/R15, but as this is already done 50% I am not very much interested in keeping that for long. So what tyre size should I opt for.

For 15k a set this is a steal. The rims are of really good quality and if you don't mind then do PM me the information of seller. I will immediately think of buying them for a Comfortline which is gonna join our turf within a week.
Hello Vipul, You can find on Quickr as well as OLX OEM VW alloys in the range of 20-30k very easily.

Tyre size is 185/60/R15, but as this is already done 50% I am not very much interested in keeping that for long. So what tyre size should I opt for.

Hello Vipul, You can find on Quickr as well as OLX OEM VW alloys in the range of 20-30k very easily.
You can go for 195/55R15 or even 195/60R15. With 50% tread remaining, these Apollo Alnacs will last for 18-20k kms. Are these TOSA alloys or previous ones? Do check the condition before going ahead, I think they will be in strictly mint/average condition.

Vipul Saarji, OEM alloys aren't in demand these days. People opt for better looking product than a better quality one (yes, same applies for Baleno also [lol]) and go for aftermarket designs. 15k is a steal actually but used prices are in the range of 25k for alloys only. Tyres which have done 50% have very less value, neither new nor scrap.

BTW a set of new alloys costs more than 70k or maybe even 75k at VW dealerships. Just for the sake of info.
In fact I guess a set of 4 alloy rims and 4 tires cost close to 1 lac.

Those were the old VW rims, from last two year or so rims are localized

Before one Polo rim use to cost 16k & Vento rim(6 spoke) use to cost 21k [surprise]

Now i hear new ones 7 spoke are 5.5k per rim

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/4345-cost-single-vw-ventos-alloy-rs-21k-5.html

Thread Starter #7
You can go for 195/55R15 or even 195/60R15. With 50% tread remaining, these Apollo Alnacs will last for 18-20k kms. Are these TOSA alloys or previous ones? Do check the condition before going ahead, I think they will be in strictly mint/average condition.
Thank you Ice_Wise, for letting me know what alloys to look for. Can you please tell me is TOSA is engraved some where on wheels (the seller is saying it's made in Germany) and if it is previous one's then what should I do? buy or not?

I am an auto-mobile enthusiast, and learning step by step so that same can be pass on to my son (who is just 11 years old [;)]). My main problem is I am abroad & car is in Mumbai so what I learn here I ask someone in family to do it accordingly.

Here I don't have access to any VW vehicle, What I have with me is KIA Mohave and in circles all are Toyota GMC or BMW. so learning about VW for Indian market is becoming little difficult as of now.

@Prads
Sirji recently I bought a Polo HL and yesterday itself booked a CL. When enquired about the cost of alloys, the accessories guy at dealership said "although nobody buys them but they cost around 1 lac for entire set along with tires".

But yes, we can't rule out the possibility that even the accessory guy is not as much informed about the rims because he simply accepted that " nobody buys them".

@Zking:
TOSA is the one which you get in current Polo HL variants.

Last edited:
Thank you Ice_Wise, for letting me know what alloys to look for. Can you please tell me is TOSA is engraved some where on wheels (the seller is saying it's made in Germany) and if it is previous one's then what should I do? buy or not?

I am an auto-mobile enthusiast, and learning step by step so that same can be pass on to my son (who is just 11 years old [;)]). My main problem is I am abroad & car is in Mumbai so what I learn here I ask someone in family to do it accordingly.

Here I don't have access to any VW vehicle, What I have with me is KIA Mohave and in circles all are Toyota GMC or BMW. so learning about VW for Indian market is becoming little difficult as of now.
TOSA is the newer design on Polo which came in mid/late 2014 cars I think. Earlier design is also fine (6 spoke one) but it would be better if you find TOSA ones as they will have less chances of damage (i.e. scratches, paint chip, etc.).

If you are not in India, send someone who will closely examine the wheels for actual damage (not accounting for visual damage like brake dust) and negotiate accordingly.

Thread Starter #10
TOSA is the newer design on Polo which came in mid/late 2014 cars I think. Earlier design is also fine (6 spoke one) but it would be better if you find TOSA ones as they will have less chances of damage (i.e. scratches, paint chip, etc.).
Oki I got it TOSA is 10 spoke & old one is 6 spoke. and as per attach pics its old one. Shall I go for it?

Attachments

Oki I got it TOSA is 10 spoke & old one is 6 spoke. and as per attach pics its old one. Shall I go for it?
Perfect. Go for it. [clap]

Condition looks really nice in the pictures. And one correction, old ones (i.e. those in the pictures) are 7 spoke and not 6.

Top Bottom