Hyundai i10 Power Steering Issue Post-Servicing

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I had given my 2010 i10 car for a routine service yesterday(10th Dec) , the SA called me and said that there is a issue with Steering Spring and needs a change, I said didn't have any problems with my steering , but still they insisted to change as it may damage the column if not change, I said if you felt that way then change, after taking the delivery I found the steering to be very hard and the wheel is not coming back to original state after taking the turn,

I went today to them to explain the problem, they said this is due to change in the spring and asked me to drive for 2 days or 50Km and it will be free,

Now after driving for few KMs i'm getting pain in my right shoulder,

can anyone suggest me what should I do.

Regards
Prashant

Last edited:
Re: i10 Power steering issue after servicing

Hi Friends,

I had given my 2010 i10 car for a routine service yesterday(10th Dec) , the SA called me and said that there is a issue with Steering Spring and needs a change, I said didn't have any problems with my steering , but still they insisted to change as it may damage the column if not change, I said if you felt that way then change, after taking the delivery I found the steering to be very hard and the wheel is not coming back to original state after taking the turn,

I went today to them to explain the problem, they said this is due to change in the spring and asked me to drive for 2 days or 50Km and it will be free,

Now after driving for few KMs i'm getting pain in my right shoulder,

can anyone suggest me what should I do.

Regards
Prashant
Trust me it won't be like first!! I had faces same problem after changing the spring, yes this will easy-out with time but it will not be as it was at the beginning.

Thread Starter #3
Re: i10 Power steering issue after servicing

Trust me it won't be like first!! I had faces same problem after changing the spring, yes this will easy-out with time but it will not be as it was at the beginning.
Hi Thank you for the reply, the steering wheel is not even coming back to normal position after turning, this is not even like my Maruti 800, it is very heavy.

I raised a compliant to the customer care stating they might have replaced my steering assembly with a faulty one.

Steering issues are common in santros,i10's,even in EPS unit of verna- don't know wthat the technical fault with Hyundai's.

Don't worry Mr.Prashant-

Please answer to my questions-

1.You had reported that the steering is not returning to the centre position-(SELF CENTERING)

I think as i10 old one is hydraulic( I am not sure , experts comment on it),if it's hydraulic i am sure that the chance of it being self centring like the non powered versions is very less.

2.The SA had asked to change Steering spring- and test for 50km-

I think in one way SA is correct , as if it's a hydraulic unit, it will take some time for the power steering fluid to start up the lubricating action.

Please attach the bill copy .Also if it's a hydraulic unit, check with Steering fluid level.

Thread Starter #5
Steering issues are common in santros,i10's,even in EPS unit of verna- don't know wthat the technical fault with Hyundai's.

Don't worry Mr.Prashant-

Please answer to my questions-

1.You had reported that the steering is not returning to the centre position-(SELF CENTERING)

I think as i10 old one is hydraulic( I am not sure , experts comment on it),if it's hydraulic i am sure that the chance of it being self centring like the non powered versions is very less.

" Yes normally earlier after taking turn the Steering wheel will come back to its position "
2.The SA had asked to change Steering spring- and test for 50km-

I think in one way SA is correct , as if it's a hydraulic unit, it will take some time for the power steering fluid to start up the lubricating action.
" I had already completed 50Km and dont see any progress"

Please attach the bill copy .Also if it's a hydraulic unit, check with Steering fluid level.
"i10 has EPS and not hydralic steering"
" Yes normally earlier after taking turn the Steering wheel will come back to its position and even the tyres are not coming back to it position it stays there and manully i have steer it back straight"
"I'll attach the bill copy later as it is in the car"

Last edited:
Engine flushing :
Process- After draining engine oil ,they fill the engine oil reservoir with Engine flush liquid,and drain it out ,then fill fresh oil.

For what- Normally mineral oils clog up with metal bits of engine and residues as a result of running(usually at 40 k km-in present synthetic oil based cars)

In most service centres work won't be done,its just a SCAM.

Engine tune up involves mostly adjusting the engine mountings and tuning the throttle lining for mileage-performance ratio.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ prashant - indeed there was a problem with the steering and the service advisor is correct to say the column can get damaged.
i am still amazed that he suggested this himself instead of replacing the entire column which costs 15k.

if he says that it will become normal i'd trust him.

anyways do you get "kat" sound when you turn the steering full either way ? please check tomorrow.

@ vishnu - i think they add the engine flush to the old oil and start it and let it run. then drain the oil with the flush chemical and then fill with new engine.
they won't run the engine without the oil because i think the flush is just a tiny bottle. maybe 300 ml.

Thread Starter #12
@ prashant - indeed there was a problem with the steering and the service advisor is correct to say the column can get damaged.
i am still amazed that he suggested this himself instead of replacing the entire column which costs 15k.

if he says that it will become normal i'd trust him.

anyways do you get "kat" sound when you turn the steering full either way ? please check tomorrow.

@ vishnu - i think they add the engine flush to the old oil and start it and let it run. then drain the oil with the flush chemical and then fill with new engine.
they won't run the engine without the oil because i think the flush is just a tiny bottle. maybe 300 ml.
"Hi, there was no Kat noise earlier and also now
I had changed my tyres on saturday with B250 , I dont see any difference either with old tyres on, the steering has loosed little more then earlier."

Hi,

Guess I am late for this thread! Anyway let me light up here with what ever I know.[angel]
The part replaced here is steering yoke plug which is also known as steering damper. The faulty yoke can be identified by turning the steering 180 degrees left and right when the front wheels are in straight position. You can feel a small tap vibration and a mild thud sound on the steering wheel.
Now for repairing, the yoke is located inside the steering rack. The yoke plug has to be replaced and adjusted and tightened in an apt ratio for smooth steering. I guess the tightened yoke is the culprit in your case. But it will get loosen on running.

Regards,
Suresh

Top Bottom