Petrol Engine or Diesel Engine: Your Choice?

Which is your pick?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Guys, so what is it that clicks for you? are you a petrol fan or a diesel fan?

in other words, do you get crazy over bhp or is it torque that drives you mad?

in other words, does the high revving engines impress you or does the acceleration low down in the rpm suit you?

in other words, are you into wheelspins or you love the turbo whistling?

I am a hardcore diesel fan! IMO, modern CRDi diesels have left petrols far behind, whether its acceleration, roll on timings or rolling wheelspins in 3rd gear (BMWs!). the only advantage the petrol offers is the exhaust note at high RPMs (for the enthusiasts) and the relative refinement (for the family man).

I would never think of buying a petrol car, even if my running is limited. diesels are so fun. you barely need to use the throttle for slow city runs. just leave the clutch & you are rolling! thats torque!

found that gap in traffic, waiting to be filled by a pesky rickshaw?!! why bother downshifting like in a petrol? just slam the throttle & booom!

uphills - which petrol can climb a ghat with AC & 7 people on board in 4th gear & still accelerate? my mHawk does that. if you bring a more powerful diesel into picture, it will manage this even in top gear!

Audi Q7 4.2 TDi - 77kgm of blissful torque!

I have always been a diesel fan till now because of the torquey engine , low running cost and great FE in highways.

But now after some googling i find petrol cars are much cheaper to maintain than a diesel car. A diesel should be chosen only if the drive is going to be more than 50km a day and you plan to keep the car for only 3 years. Else a petrol is more economical. IMO go for a diesel only upto C segment and SUV'S. From C+ , D and above segments petrols are cheaper to maintain and gives you the peace of mind.

I am still a hardcore diesel fan but i just may buy a petrol car as my next car just to experience more about them!

For driving i feel diesel are best .

superb torque. present crdi tech etc.

But they are all for limited fun like . after some 1.5L kms drive you need to overhaul almost everything except the engine.

Not advisable to buy a unknown diesel car in 2nd hand.

On the other hand petrol has refinement and lesser spares .

A badly maintained petrol car be made up easily than a diesel

So new diesel are best!!!

My vote for diesel too though I am going to pick petrol now but my next car will be definately diesel only [clap].

i like the new modern diesel engines for their torque. But i would always buy a petrol car. I dont know why but a diesel engine just doesnt excite me as much as a petrol.

My vote goes for DDiS![glasses]
Simply because I have been born and brought up in a family who has a history of rides with DIESEL heart!
1995- Armada- DIESEL
2003- Indica- DIESEL
2004- Indigo- DIESEL
2008- DZire- Again DIESEL![lol]

I dont have any experience with any Petrol hearted car.

We have never owned a diesel car till date but i am damn sure that when i buy MY first car, it will surely be a diesel.

Hmmm am surprised to see so many diesel fans!

My confusion is owning a diesel will prove to be economical in the longer run but spares of diesel engine is costly which will make the maintenance too costly in the longer run. My question is , is a diesel economical actually?

We pay a premium of atleast a Lakh to get a diesel car over a petrol one , so do we really compensate the premium we pay buy lowering our running costs when compared to a petrol?

A feel a petrol is easy on the pocket even though the running cost is high! Sit down with your calculators and you will partially agree with me![;)] Atleast what am saying holds good above C-segment cars even though daily running is high.
Of course for a diesel fan , a diesel is always the best choice!

Last edited:
Diesel Head I am. People always complain about the turbo lag in the Swift,heck, I say that's what it makes fun to drive. A sudden surge of power from nowhere[evil]

I agree sachin. Even i love a sudden power output after initial lag but sometimes it is a bit irritating and mind you, swift ddis is one of the peppiest in its segment.

Top Bottom