Engine Oil for Elite i20 Diesel: Be Aware (Bad Experience in Service Center)

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I had a very strange experience in one of the best authorized service center of Hyundai in Bangalore.
I gave my car for 2nd servicing and soon after servicing, I felt little vibrations while driving @1800 RPM, or in stop and go traffic when the engine is too hot. Also my mileage was dropped from 17 to 13/14 KmPl.
Now some flashback -

When after servicing my car was returned, I was returned with 1 air filter, 1 oil filter (Metal 1, observe this).

Now, afer driving for 1500 Kms, I felt something is wrong with the engine because the vibrations increased to some unacceptable level that too in just 3 months old car.
I started doubting the service center, that thing has messed up with my car's engine. But again I can't blame anyone since I was sitting in the service center the whole day keeping vigil eyes open.

Now I have completed around 2200 Kms after servicing, and somehow I had got a feeling to change the engine oil and oil filter once again. So, I approached the same service center to purchase oil filter.
A job card was opened without any job but mentioning only the part.

While purchasing the oil filter, I found that they (Service center guys) use the Indian Oil Servo engine oils for both petrol and diesel. But there is no marking which one is for petrol and which one is for diesel.
And if I am not wrong petrol specs say API-SN or so and diesel specs say API-CH4 or higher.

Also when I got the new oil filter (paper one, remember I was returned the metal one), I cross the mechanic and told him why not metal one, he explained metal is for petrol and paper filter is for diesel.

Now the whole picture was clear to me - Although I was returned with metal filter, my car was fitted with paper filter only since metal one won't fit in diesel oil filter slot.

But chances are there that instead of filling the engine with diesel engine oil, might by mistake its filled with petrol engine oil. (Cannot ask the service center since, I have thrown the metal filter after reaching home.) And if they have actually put the Indian Oil Diesel Engine - oil then it is the worst engine oil one diesel engine can have.

How I got confirmed -
After purchasing the oil filter, I headed straight to shell petrol bunk, purchased 2 x 4L Shell Helix HX5 Diesel engine oil and got it changed. Now the engine runs a lot smoother also happy to go till 2500 RPM(not crossed after 2500RPM). And the best part is I restored back my mileage to 17 - 18 Kmpl.

So be aware when giving your vehicle for servicing. Also if possible carry your own engine oil.

Prabhanjan

Hello Everyone,

I need all your (expert) inputs to decide which engine oil is better/best (available in Market)

I have 2 options below -

1. Shell Rimula R4 -Shell Rimula R4 (It is according to URL truck engine oil but with api-ci4 plus specs)

2. Shell Helix HX5 Diesel - Shell Helix HX5 Diesel

Which one is better?

if we have some more better options available in market then please do suggest and also help where can I purchase in Bangalore.

Thanks
Prabhanjan

Re: Engine Oil for Elite i20 Diesel - Be aware (Bad experience in Service Center)

A.S.S. cheating is nothing new and there are several such instances where these morons thug the innocent customer. What's the remedy? Strictness.

It's my chauffy who frequently gets servicing done (Toyota guys themselves are very honest though) and at the time of servicing, right from the time the car is on the lift, the chauffy stays with the car till the end. He checks every single thing going into the car with a thorough eye. In fact we never faced a single service related complain in either of Mahindra, Toyota, Tata, Hyundai or even Skoda whenever I or my chauffy got the servicing done; but in cases when some friend got the job done or the car was left at A.S.S., there was always something unattended or something to complain left in the car.

Why so? Even I was also taught the same and I also follow the same practice. Be it engine oil, filters or whatever; take them yourself from the counter and check them thoroughly before the technician fit them into the car. In other words, it's important to check everything in A.S.S., especially in the over crowded Maruti and Hyundai service centers where half of the technicians don't even know the difference between the procedure of servicing an Alto and a Baleno or an Eon and an Elantra.

Shell oils are good but strictly follow the recommended grade or higher ones. Car engines and truck engines are different; the one in the cars runs at comparatively higher speeds as compared to buses and trucks whose engines run at 2500-3000 rpm max.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: Engine Oil for Elite i20 Diesel - Be aware (Bad experience in Service Center)

A.S.S. cheating is nothing new and there are several such instances where these morons thug the innocent customer. What's the remedy? Strictness.

It's my chauffy who frequently gets servicing done (Toyota guys themselves are very honest though) and at the time of servicing, right from the time the car is on the lift, the chauffy stays with the car till the end. He checks every single thing going into the car with a thorough eye. In fact we never faced a single service related complain in either of Mahindra, Toyota, Tata, Hyundai or even Skoda whenever I or my chauffy got the servicing done; but in cases when some friend got the job done or the car was left at A.S.S., there was always something unattended or something to complain left in the car.

Why so? Even I was also taught the same and I also follow the same practice. Be it engine oil, filters or whatever; take them yourself from the counter and check them thoroughly before the technician fit them into the car. In other words, it's important to check everything in A.S.S., especially in the over crowded Maruti and Hyundai service centers where half of the technicians don't even know the difference between the procedure of servicing an Alto and a Baleno or an Eon and an Elantra.

Shell oils are good but strictly follow the recommended grade or higher ones. Car engines and truck engines are different; the one in the cars runs at comparatively higher speeds as compared to buses and trucks whose engines run at 2500-3000 rpm max.
Thanks TSIVipul.
I also got a lesson from the last servicing experience. The lesson is just check everything before it gets fitted to your car.

Also thanks for the information regarding the engine oil, will continue with Shell Helix HX5 15W-40 since its being recommended by Hyundai. Was just curious how Rimula R4 - API-CI4+ will work with i20 Diesel.

If some technical inputs or differences (any pointers) are given then it will be very clear.

Thanks
Prabhanjan

Thread Starter #4
Hi all,

I am wondering where can I get Mobil Delvac MX™ 15W-40 in bangalore. Can bagalore TAI-gers give some pointers where can I get these engine oil. Also is Delo 400 available in INDia (Bangalore)?

Top Bottom